Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas stations are dangerous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited by a moderator:
Just up the road from me One dead after fuel tanker explodes on New Jersey’s I-78 - NY Daily News

One dead, two hospitalized after fuel tanker explodes on New Jersey highway

A fiery crash blocked traffic along Interstate 78 near Union Township for several hours Saturday afternoon when a fuel truck burst into flames spewing a thick column of smoke. One person is confirmed dead and two others hospitalized after the three-vehicle accident, according to New Jersey State Police.

What are the chances that no one notices?

Thanks for posting that. Rather astonishing, and sad that 47 people lost their lives due to those fires and explosions.

It's madness, really, transporting and hauling that much explosive material through the middle of towns.

Sadly, this is another consequence of our addiction to fossil fuels. We are literally consuming our own poison and dying a slow death (and sometimes as in this case, a rapid one), along with all other life on the planet. It's pathetic.

as much as i despite our oil addiciton, the other thing to keep in mind is that much much much more than just transport fuel comes out of crude.

...Which is why setting fire to it is nuts! Same goes for growing corn (people food) to burn, then, hacking down forests in other countries to make room to grow corn for people to eat. The silliness knows no bounds.

Along with all the potential accidents and fires there is another danger from gas stations. Air pollution.

Last Tuesday (February 3, 2015) I was forced to file an appeal with the New Mexico Supreme Court. The City of Albuquerque gave a permit modification to a company to pump up to 4.5 million gallons of gasoline that would result in the release of over 29 tons of Volatile Organic Compounds each year. The gas station property is only 0.4 acres in size just feet from small businesses and home owners' back yards. The gas fumes from this place are unbelievable.

I live about 1000 feet away from the station (and thankfully sort of up wind - but winds here shift all the time). Every day I wonder just how much Benzene (a colorless, odorless gas and known human carcinogen) and other toxic substances I'm being forced to breathe. The public had no determinative input over this decision by the City. We complained, no one cares and no laws, regulations, ordinances, requirements, or policy takes public health into account before decisions like this are made.

We now have the option to move out of our home of 37 years, or live in fear. The City, County, or State have gathered and are gathering absolutely no data to determine the environmental impact of this facility"s activity. None was required.

So along with the obvious fire/explosion threats, we have to deal with the very real possibility that we may end up dying slowly from leukemia or some other disease caused by the need for people to have yet another gas station in the City.

The Tesla Model 3 can't arrive soon enough for me. I just hope I live long enough to enjoy driving it.