Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

gateway 2 rolling out in US yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True 400A support is probably not coming anytime soon, at best I could see some integration with multiple gateways down the road.

Just install 2 Gateways, one per feed and do your 400A, its not ideal but it works. There are other solutions as well. We just finished a home with a 600A switchboard with most of the "home" backup except the pools. (2) GW 1, (12) PW, (140+) SPR 350-BLK-E-AC

It doesn't make sense for Tesla to make a 400A version right now, as the number people with true 400A services is pretty small, even among 400A services. Most people have a 2x200 where its much cheaper to take one of the other solutions anyway.

If Tesla makes a 400A unit, what about 600A and 800A services then? The best solution is to pick a size like 200A feeds then build blocks of that same design, with intercommunication between them.

The rest of the world wants the Gateway to be 3 phase. The way some american mansions pull 800A 240V split phase is crazy!
If Tesla wants the biggest bang for the investment, the world market is much more interested in a slick 3 phase gateway. On 3 phase, you can deliver much more power, even with 200A maximum.

I hear that even in places like Atherton, PGE will not pull larger than a 600A split phase service anymore. They require that larger services, and even some of the new 600A ones to go 120/208 3 phase.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
with two gateways you need to double your powerwalls to start large loads... that would be insane.
so two gateways not a starter.
i have two panels, i will add a non backup panel and run a feeder cable from gateway to the generation disconnect and taps to my to house panels. i'm confident i will not trip the gateway 200A breaker.

Reactions: Freakyguy666
with two gateways you need to double your powerwalls to start large loads... that would be insane.
so two gateways not a starter.
i have two panels, i will add a non backup panel and run a feeder cable from gateway to the generation disconnect and taps to my to house panels. i'm confident i will not trip the gateway 200A breaker.

is this something that would be problematic passing inspection?

is this something that would be problematic passing inspection?

There is no issue passing inspection with 2 gateways, but its not ideal, unless you already planned to go pretty big. If you already planned to go big, its just a matter of balancing. You have to drop the Benjamins if you want everything.

Each split of your PV/PW system cannot charge the other, and likewise stored energy can only be used by one side or the other. There are other solutions to this problem but I wont go into those.

Gateway 2 installation manual and files aren't yet available to the public, but as they get installed I am sure someone will leak them. Hopefully all these cool new features will be live sooner than later.

Then why are you doing it if it’s not acceptable?

i'm installing ONE gatway; therefore, i don't have to double the batteries. if you install two gateways, the batteries on each gateway are separate and don't share power between the gateways. so if each circuit panel/gateway have a load that takes 28KVA to start you would need 8 batteries. if you have a single gateway you will be able to get by with 5 batteries, follow.

i'm installing ONE gatway; therefore, i don't have to double the batteries. if you install two gateways, the batteries on each gateway are separate and don't share power between the gateways. so if each circuit panel/gateway have a load that takes 28KVA to start you would need 8 batteries. if you have a single gateway you will be able to get by with 5 batteries, follow.

Sounds like you have an idea how to make yours work, might have to do it after inspection ?

I mean if you can have all loads on one side of a 200A breaker, there's no real issue anyway and no need to get hinkey. You can turn your 400A effectively into a 200A service, use one GW. You won't be hugely limited anyway with 5 PW supplying the rest of the demand, at least while they have charge. You can pull 350A for a short time, and 300A continuously, while the PW have charge.

Yes, and I asked if this setup (ONE gateway) would be problematic passing inspection, and you answered, “nope”.

Perhaps inspectors in TX are lax?

Last edited:
Yes, and I asked if this setup (ONE gateway) would be problematic passing inspection, and you answered, “no”.

Perhaps inspectors in TX are lax?
Reread my post, I'm not commenting on your design. I posted about a 2 gateway solution.

I don't think a properly designed system following codes will have any problem passing. I thought you were talking about adding extra feeders after inspection to avoid some oversight.

Just trying to be helpful, I have no opinion about TX inspectors, but have heard horror stories about Oklahoma ones.

If it works, likely no for existing installations.

Tesla may offer the upgrade as an added fee (say $2,000) for existing customers who would like to swap it out. Personally, I could see doing this in the future with the installation of a (potential) bi-directional wall connector for V2G application.
When my 3 comes back, I’ll report on V2G. After seeing what I’ve seen in the code, it seems as though at least the CT’s PV generation is already provisioned in the software of 9/19+ 3s.

Reread my post, I'm not commenting on your design. I posted about a 2 gateway solution.

I don't think a properly designed system following codes will have any problem passing. I thought you were talking about adding extra feeders after inspection to avoid some oversight.

Just trying to be helpful, I have no opinion about TX inspectors, but have heard horror stories about Oklahoma ones.

I appreciate the help, but reread my last post. It was a reply to @CrazyRabbit ....