Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

gateway 2 rolling out in US yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's interesting that they have fixed the Grid CTs on the input bus bars. My Gateway 1 came from the factory with the Grid CTs installed on the input side of the switch, but they were relocated by the installer to the main panel so that my non-backup loads could be offset by the Powerwalls when the grid was up. I wonder if the Gateway 2 has additional CT channels (or you have to disconnect the factory installed ones) to support measuring the actual grid main, or if you have to feed non-backup loads from the provided lugs so that it is measured correctly.

In my v1 Gateway they just left the CTs by the transfer switch in place and installed 4 external ones. So there are just two disconnected CT wires inside the Gateway. I'd assumed those two were permanently mounted, I guess I'd have two free CT's if I dared to move them away from the bus bars. :)

I find it quite interesting there are non-backed up lugs installed as a default option. the 14-2 AWG note implies only 15 A circuit(s) can be installed. There must be enough use cases to warrant them installed on all Backup Gateway 2 units. I wonder what they are...

The range is from 14 gauge (smallest) to 2 gauge (largest). 2 ga is good for 115A using THHN 75C copper.

Reactions: miimura
The internal subpanel may rarely be used for metered backup loads but its limited in the slots, most likely its for generation sources.

If your pool isnt backed up but has a big draw, use the 100A non backed up lugs to feed a small 100A sub with 100A main breaker.

The internal subpanel may rarely be used for metered backup loads but its limited in the slots, most likely its for generation sources.

If your pool isnt backed up but has a big draw, use the 100A non backed up lugs to feed a small 100A sub with 100A main breaker.
All I’m really trying to do is avoid running a separate trench back to my house (detached garage) so if I can tap those lugs to a separate sub panel it will save me 2k in trenching.

Yes, but it requires a Main breaker, so leaving only 2 slots/4 spaces remaining.

Damn really? Is there an official installation guide posted anywhere for the Gateway 2? I was supposed to have my Powerwalls installed today and they did show up with a Gateway 2, but cancelled the installation due to some existing damage in my main panel. We talked over possibly using the GW2 internal breakers to replace the big 200A generation panel they were planning on installing, when they come out again. But it sounds like this may not be possible if I need to land 3x PW breakers + 2x solar breakers there.

Damn really? Is there an official installation guide posted anywhere for the Gateway 2? I was supposed to have my Powerwalls installed today and they did show up with a Gateway 2, but cancelled the installation due to some existing damage in my main panel. We talked over possibly using the GW2 internal breakers to replace the big 200A generation panel they were planning on installing, when they come out again. But it sounds like this may not be possible if I need to land 3x PW breakers + 2x solar breakers there.

In my case they put a little 125A solar panel for the breakers from my two inverters, then a disconnect switch, then the 200A generation panel with one solar breaker and breakers for the four powerwalls.

I'm glad that I've found this thread. I called Tesla 2 days ago and found out that my order was going to be gateway 1. They put an urgent request to change it to gateway 2 and surprisingly they were able to keep my appointment and get it installed today. I'm in the bay area. Thanks guys!

20200625_100601.jpg

I'm glad that I've found this thread. I called Tesla 2 days ago and found out that my order was going to be gateway 1. They put an urgent request to change it to gateway 2 and surprisingly they were able to keep my appointment and get it installed today. I'm in the bay area. Thanks guys!

View attachment 556299

Bay Area?! That’s great news for us, still awaiting scheduling. We asked in the beginning for GW2 if available so guess there’s hope we can get it. It will go inside our garage with our PWs And really never wanted a gray box installed inside.