Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gearbox oil service needed - OK to drive warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI Everyone,

I have a 2020 M3AWD with 110k kilometres on it. I have had a warning pop up "Gearbox oil service needed - OK to drive". I have received an estimate from SC saying they need to replace the front drive unit oil pump, $630 estimate. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Should this be covered under the drive unit warranty?

Thanks,

-Don

Reactions: buckets0fun
HI Everyone,

I have a 2020 M3AWD with 110k kilometres on it. I have had a warning pop up "Gearbox oil service needed - OK to drive". I have received an estimate from SC saying they need to replace the front drive unit oil pump, $630 estimate. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Should this be covered under the drive unit warranty?

Thanks,

-Don
yes. covered.

I just got this message as well about 2 weeks ago on my 2022 Model X Plaid, brought it to the service center yesterday and they stated they have to replace the oil pump. They think the part should arrive by then end of the week or early next week.

I just had to have the drive unit oil pump replaced on my 2019 Model 3 in the Peabody, MA Tesla facility and they said it is NOT covered under the drive train warranty because it is "external to the drive unit" and I must pay the $700 replacement cost. Seems arbitrary to me and they can't cite anything in the warranty that says this. Is there any way to appeal this determination?

I just had to have the drive unit oil pump replaced on my 2019 Model 3 in the Peabody, MA Tesla facility and they said it is NOT covered under the drive train warranty because it is "external to the drive unit" and I must pay the $700 replacement cost. Seems arbitrary to me and they can't cite anything in the warranty that says this. Is there any way to appeal this determination?
It’s quite literally bolted into the drive unit. Sub 200$ part. Fluid and filter being the other large expense here.