Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geico Ramps Up Model 3 Collision Premium

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go to an independent agent. Not an ageency that only sellls Geicco, State Farm etc. An independent agent can compare insurance from multiple companies and if you bundle car an home and do an umbrella policy you can save quite a bit. Know this from experience with my other vehicles. I haven't gotten a quote on a Model 3 yet, waiting until November when my lease is up.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
If you took out a loan for the auto, the lending institution requires it in the loan documents. I don't know if all lenders require it but, every vehicle loan I have acquired, the lender was adamant on the $500 deductible.
My insurance (Mercury) company is able to issue a declaration that meets lender's term even though I have a higher deductible for like $25 one time fee.

If you took out a loan for the auto, the lending institution requires it in the loan documents. I don't know if all lenders require it but, every vehicle loan I have acquired, the lender was adamant on the $500 deductible.

That said the $500 would be a minimum deductible they would expect. If you upped your deductible to $1K for example the premium for that portion would go down somewhat. If you have the funds and can handle an out of pocket expense easily, you'll save yourself money over the life of the policy if you don't have a claim under that portion. It's really smart when reevaluating your coverage with your agent to have them give you quotes based on several different levels of deductible amounts. Then you decide what works best for you.

Oh and our insurance carrier also offers a discount if you prepay your policy for a longer period of time, like over a year as oppose to semi-annually or quarterly. You need to be a smart consumer and work out the best deal for you with the best quality of coverage from a highly rated insurance company. If you have crappy coverage, you could get sued personally for what your insurance company won't pay out in a claim if you're fully or partially at fault. The biggy here is really medical coverage.

Last edited:
That said the $500 would be a minimum deductible they would expect. If you upped your deductible to $1K for example the premium for that portion would go down somewhat. If you have the funds and can handle an out of pocket expense easily, you'll save yourself money over the life of the policy if you don't have a claim under that portion. It's really smart when reevaluating your coverage with your agent to have them give you quotes based on several different levels of deductible amounts. Then you decide what works best for you.
Actually, the "$500 deductible" must be maintained until the vehicle is paid off, per lender. That is what I have experienced. That said, you are absolutely correct that increasing to "$1K" will drop your premium. I actually financed a Volvo and a year later, upped my deductible. So, sure, you can. Don't know anything about the lender reaching out to your insurance carrier asking if the $500 is still in affect. Most likely not an issue.

If $500 breaks the bank, okay......$1K deductible is also much cheaper premium and can probably recoup that $500 in two years.

You won't recoup it quite that fast. You don't pay $500/yr more to switch from $1000 deductible to $500. But statistically you are better off with $1k deductible. And if lose your gamble, $500 more is not a big deal.

hi fellow model 3 owners, the upcoming premium from Geico on my model 3 is outrageous. I own 3 cars, a 2014 BMW 3, a 2018 Honda Odyssey and a 2019 Model 3. The collision w/ $500 Deductible for Tesla is $548, compared with $216 for BMW and $170 for Honda. Please see the pic yourself.

Background: 12 years with Geico, no accidents for 12 years.

Any recommendations for Tesla friendly insurance? Thanks!
WOW! Can you ask your local agency WHY it went up so aggressively? I have Geico, I’m 24, and have had 2 accidents in the past 3 years (one at fault), yet my premium went DOWN when I renewed mine a few months ago. Yet, your new Collision premium is higher than mine is currently (with a $500 ded) but I still pay more overall. Maybe they made a mistake or there’s an accident erroneously on your record?

That being said, you usually aren’t locked to insurance companies, you can cancel at any time, so it doesn’t hurt to shop around.

I just updated my insurance a few weeks ago and I have GEICO and I live in Northern California...My insurance went up $7 a month versus my previous when I had a 2009 MINI JCW ...see below...we have two cars together on one policy:

Geico Ins SS_1.JPG
Geico Ins SS_2.JPG

My GEICO policy went up 25% at the renewal this month. Agent said they re-evaluated cars and said Model 3 was found to be more costly to repair and upped the premium. I ended up upping my deductible to compensate, but still higher than last 6 months.

I have been a GEICO customer in California for over 10 years and I have maxed out all kinds of discounts they provide including multi-line. At Nov 2018 renewal, Model X and Model 3 together 6 month premium=$1883 with a teenage driver and another college student driver on the account. May 2019 renewal=$2800 - no accidents no changes...the collision coverage for MX went up from $275 to $523 and M3 from $572 to $1014. GEICO says they are experiencing high repair costs statewide and thus across the board it is increasing.

Checked with Farmers, Progressive, Liberty Mutual and State Farm - nobody can still beat GEICO. WTF? How can collision go up 81%.

If $500 breaks the bank, okay......$1K deductible is also much cheaper premium and can probably recoup that $500 in two years.
I generally agree that low deductibles usually aren't the best choice. In my case going from $500 to $1k only saves about $50/6 months though, so it would take 5 years to recoup. Anyway, not the kind of money worth losing sleep over. ;)