Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 High Power Wall Charger - TPN 1011831-00-D Error when set to 100 or 90 amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally got around to installing this older charger I bought off of ebay. I initially tested it with just a 50amp plug in type lanyard to make sure it worked. Today I finally had all the materials I needed and the time to do it. I have it on and 100amp breaker. I am using THHN-2 wire, less than 10 feet long. It test just fine during the commissioning. The problem I am having is every time I put the dip switches to either 90 or 100 amps for breaker sizing, it gives me a error of 8 red flashes. I set it to 80amp breaker and its charging my MSP90D at 63amps no problem. According to the manual, it says to call Tesla. Anyone have any trouble shooting ideas?

Pretty sure all Tesla chargers were designed for 80amp max
U also can't run more than 80amps continuous on 100amp breaker
Ur car should charge at either 72 or 80 max cause it sounds like u have high power obc
That is all correct, but OP stated he has it on a 100 amp breaker, but the HPWC will not correctly configure for this. Only will allow him to configure it as if on an 80 amp breaker, which is why he is only charging at 63 amp (80% or 80 amp). So his question remains valid, why is he not able to configure his HPWC to it's max rating of 100 amp breaker, which would support up to 80 amp charging.

Now I agree, depending upon exactly which vintage of P90D he has, the max his car may not accept a full 80 amp, it might be limited to 72 map by the OBC on a late 2016 or 2017 MS90D versus if he has say a late 2015 or early 2016 MS90D with dual 40 amp OBC where he'd be able to get 80 amps.

So I think his request for suggestions on why he cannot commission the HPWC to it's max capability of 100 amp breaker/80 amp continuous charging capability still is valid.

Mine does have the dual 40amp chargers. It also has the CCS compatibility Upgrade installed by Tesla. I have 2nd generation wall connector in my carport that is on a 60amp breaker and it will charge my car at 48amp max. The reason I really want to be able to use the 80amps is so I feel more comfortable leaving the car in a lower SOC, knowing if something were to come up and I need the range I can charge the car at almost double the rate. I also may be getting a 2nd Tesla/EV once interest rates come down or let me transfer my FUSC to a Model X Plaid :p.

That is all correct, but OP stated he has it on a 100 amp breaker, but the HPWC will not correctly configure for this. Only will allow him to configure it as if on an 80 amp breaker, which is why he is only charging at 63 amp (80% or 80 amp). So his question remains valid, why is he not able to configure his HPWC to it's max rating of 100 amp breaker, which would support up to 80 amp charging.
Ahh got ya, i miss understood that OP was trying to get 90 or 100 amp to the car...
All makes sense now.

Possibly old charger new car issue

Thanks for the post. Most of the people in the post werent able to charge at all with gen 1 HWPC. I was able to get it to work on other dip switch settings, just not the 90 or 100 amp breaker setting. The thread mentioned something about the gen1 HPWC's getting updates to their firmware from the car. I left the car plugged into the HPWC overnight, I wonder if the car updated the firmware in the HPWC? I wonder if there is a way to check? I will probably try to set the dip switches to 90/100amp breaker again Monday and see if anything has changed.

Mines a 2015, 2013 is the oldest you can go. If nothing else works I have two other HPWC's I can try. I have three all together. I was gonna put one at my parents and keep one as a spare or sell it. They all worked at 48 amp continuous on a 60amp breaker when I initially tested them. If none of them work at their max capacity I will probably just resell them all (letting potential buyers know their current limitations) and get an Enphase Clipper creek charger so I can just set it to charge from solar and forget it.

I may switch to 4awg, Its still rated for 100amps. I already had 2awg on hand but its almost to big for the lugs and extremely hard to make the tight bends
#4 is only rated to 95 amps! and only if you have 90 Degree C rated wire.

#4 is only rated to 95 amps! and only if you have 95 Degree rated wire.

The Southwire brand chart I found listed it good to 100amp