Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 HPWC with newer Model Xs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
We've had 2 of the first gen HPWCs for years (since about late 2012 IIRC). Recently (last month), one of them failed and the contactor would no longer close to start the charge. Was a very odd situation, but in the end I moved on since Tesla replaced it anyway.

Fast forward to Friday, we bring home a new 100D X, and as soon as we plug in to the older HPWC, we hear some clicking and then the cylon eye turns red. No amount of resetting does a thing.

We swapped garage positions today, and that same HPWC will charge my 2012 Model S with no issue, and the newer HPWC we received last month will charge the new X with no issue.

Is there a change in the newer Model Xs that make them incompatible with the older HPWCs? Could it have something to do with the onboard charger? We recently switched Xs because the other only had the 48A onboard charger. That one charged on the Gen 1 HPWC, so I'm wondering if it has something to do with the 72A onboard charger?

The only thing I can say is that the HPWC that I got shortly after purchasing my 2012 Signature Model S is having no problems charging my 2018 Model X that I bought new in December with the 72amp onboard charger. That said, I also generally charge at 25amps, because I do not need to charge my X any faster. Could the issue be with higher charge rates?

We've had 2 of the first gen HPWCs for years (since about late 2012 IIRC). Recently (last month), one of them failed and the contactor would no longer close to start the charge. Was a very odd situation, but in the end I moved on since Tesla replaced it anyway.

Fast forward to Friday, we bring home a new 100D X, and as soon as we plug in to the older HPWC, we hear some clicking and then the cylon eye turns red. No amount of resetting does a thing.

We swapped garage positions today, and that same HPWC will charge my 2012 Model S with no issue, and the newer HPWC we received last month will charge the new X with no issue.

Is there a change in the newer Model Xs that make them incompatible with the older HPWCs? Could it have something to do with the onboard charger? We recently switched Xs because the other only had the 48A onboard charger. That one charged on the Gen 1 HPWC, so I'm wondering if it has something to do with the 72A onboard charger?

I had the same issue with my new 2018 S. I reduced my charge rate to 40 amps and now it works. I've got a new HPWC sitting in my garage... just looking for the motivation to swap it out.

I don't know the reason.

The unit is defective. It should tell the car how much juice it can have and the car will take that much juice. Call Tesla and explain the problem.

BTW, love "Cylon eye".

No... I don't think so. This was a problem reported by a lot of people. I guess it's a matter of how you define "defective" but it's seems to be more of a design issue with the old HPWC units. I have a new generation unit at work that works just fine. Maybe the vehicle firmware could be modified to accommodate this problem.

In any case, I'm personally not worried; I got a free "signature" unit from the referral program that's collecting dust until I get a few hours to swap it in.

Reactions: jboy210
Somewhat glad to see we are not alone. Will ring Tesla and see if they have any recommendations. In the interim, I'll only charge the S with the older HPWC.

As for lowering the rate, that could work for most times, but the one reason we returned and re-bought another X was for the 72A charger. Running kids around often means needing to juice up as much as possible during dinner for evening activities.

I looked through several pages in the Model S charging section but couldn't find the thread on it. I think this just sounds like the incompatibility problem people discovered where the old 1st generation wall connectors wouldn't work with the newer vehicles with the 2nd generation central computer in the car's display.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
We encountered this problem when we received our X 100D last year.

We had problems charging on our gen 1 HPWC and also encountered the same issue on two gen 1 HPWC destination chargers.

At that time, Tesla claimed to be working on a software fix (the issue appears to be an timing issue between gen 1 HPWC and MCU2 vehicles), but because they didn't know when the fix would be available, they agreed to exchange our HPWC for a new gen 2 HPWC.

Of course, that didn't fix the destination charger incompatibility, unless Tesla was also working to get those exchanged.

If new owners are still seeing issues with gen 1 HPWC's, then Tesla must not have been able to fix the issue in software - and the only solution may be to exchange for a gen 2 HPWC...

Somewhat glad to see we are not alone. Will ring Tesla and see if they have any recommendations. In the interim, I'll only charge the S with the older HPWC.

As for lowering the rate, that could work for most times, but the one reason we returned and re-bought another X was for the 72A charger. Running kids around often means needing to juice up as much as possible during dinner for evening activities.

Tesla will give you a new wall connector. New Teslas (MCU2) simply are not compatible with the older HPWC. Widely known problem. Tesla will not cover the installation, but they will replace your unit.

After a month of unanswered emails and voicemails, I FINALLY got someone at Tesla (I first emailed ownership, they told me to email the HPWC dept or call them -- did both, multiple times, to no avail).

I was told there's a firmware issue with the GEN 1 HPWCs and the firmware in 100Ds. I was offered to get in line for a fix (I assume pushing updated firmware?), or as mentioned above, just have a new HPWC sent out. Chose the latter.

Thanks folks!

After a month of unanswered emails and voicemails, I FINALLY got someone at Tesla (I first emailed ownership, they told me to email the HPWC dept or call them -- did both, multiple times, to no avail).

I was told there's a firmware issue with the GEN 1 HPWCs and the firmware in 100Ds. I was offered to get in line for a fix (I assume pushing updated firmware?), or as mentioned above, just have a new HPWC sent out. Chose the latter.

Thanks folks!

Yeah this issue has been going on for roughly a year and counting now... There's a big long thread in the Model S forum about it as I was bit by it to in September of last year when we brought home our new Model X. Tesla REALLY needs to fix this as almost all of the destination chargers out there are Gen 1 so we don't travel to places with destination charging anymore since we can't be sure we can get our Model X to charge correctly. I don't know what's taking Tesla so long to fix this, it's a software bug at its core...

Jeff

It is surprising it's taken Tesla so long to fix this problem. The delay has caused Tesla to spend a lot of $$$ on swapping Gen 2 for Gen 1 HPWCs - and we still run the risk of encountering Gen 1 destination chargers.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Yeah this issue has been going on for roughly a year and counting now... There's a big long thread in the Model S forum about it as I was bit by it to in September of last year when we brought home our new Model X. Tesla REALLY needs to fix this as almost all of the destination chargers out there are Gen 1 so we don't travel to places with destination charging anymore since we can't be sure we can get our Model X to charge correctly. I don't know what's taking Tesla so long to fix this, it's a software bug at its core...

Jeff

It is surprising it's taken Tesla so long to fix this problem. The delay has caused Tesla to spend a lot of $$$ on swapping Gen 2 for Gen 1 HPWCs - and we still run the risk of encountering Gen 1 destination chargers.

I was so happy to have a solution I didn't even consider destination chargers. With the longer range from the 100kwh pack (and losing the P), we haven't even needed to supercharge yet. I will have to keep the destination thing in mind though as we tend to look for those when heading to beach towns and the like.

I have a 2016 X90D (Dec. 2016 build date) and I use a Gen 1 wall charger everyday with no issues...

Her previous X was also a 2016 P90D, and the issue definitely started after we got the 100kwh pack, so the 90s seem to be good.

Reactions: HostileHarry
Hi, I was wondering which email you use to contact Tesla... was it [email protected] or a different email? I'm possibly running into a similar issue. Thx!

Thanks folks!

You could try using the Schedule Service feature in the Tesla app and indicate your X isn't charging correctly with your Gen 1 HPWC.

The app and website service scheduling may be the preferred path for getting assistance now.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo