Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 UMC works with Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you push the J1772 button the port will unlock if the car is unlocked. Then let go of the button and pull out the adapter and J1772 handle together in one motion. The adapter can be removed from the J1772 handle after that, or just left attached.
I've found that not very effective a lot of the time, because when I release the button, the vast majority of the time, the port instantly locks back onto the adapter, and you don't have any chance to pull them out together. The only way I have found that consistently works is to keep holding the button. That continues to keep the charge port unlocked. With your other hand, grab the adapter, and then you can pull them out together while you are holding the button down. See this video:

Reactions: wws
I've found that not very effective a lot of the time, because when I release the button, the vast majority of the time, the port instantly locks back onto the adapter, and you don't have any chance to pull them out together. The only way I have found that consistently works is to keep holding the button. That continues to keep the charge port unlocked. With your other hand, grab the adapter, and then you can pull them out together while you are holding the button down.

That is very helpful. Thanks!

I've found that not very effective a lot of the time, because when I release the button, the vast majority of the time, the port instantly locks back onto the adapter, and you don't have any chance to pull them out together. The only way I have found that consistently works is to keep holding the button. That continues to keep the charge port unlocked. With your other hand, grab the adapter, and then you can pull them out together while you are holding the button down. See this video:
Weird. I do the press/wait-for-unlock/release/remove things multiple times per week (Chargepoint, OpenEVSE, and some other free public J1772). I've never had the port re-lock on me before I pull out the charge handle/adapter combo.

Weird. I do the press/wait-for-unlock/release/remove things multiple times per week (Chargepoint, OpenEVSE, and some other free public J1772). I've never had the port re-lock on me before I pull out the charge handle/adapter combo.
Well, yeah, I've heard a lot of people who have no problems doing it that way, and I have also heard a lot of people who frequently have problems doing it that way. The two-hand thing will always work all the time for everyone, so it's worth mentioning in case people are having trouble.

Any source for the generation 1 UMC for those of us Model 3 owners who want the full 40A from a 14-50?
Back in the January (when my snowblower attacked my UMC), the local service center told me they could order a Gen 1 UMC for me, even though it wasn't listed on tesla.com anymore (I have a full collection of adapters that I didn't want to give up). I've since spliced the UMC back together, so I didn't pursue ordering one.

You could also order a $520 Corded Mobile Connector to charge at 40A off a 14-50 (it's basically a Gen 1 UMC with a hardwired 14-50 plug).