Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 UMC Charger tails?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
European CEE IEC 32A 6h Type 023 IP44 Blue Commando (Caravan Mains) Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2
$85.00 $65.00
European CEE IEC 32A 6h Type 023 IP44 Blue Commando (Caravan Mains) Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters
I believed this was delivered with some Model 3's in Australia.
You could change the plug to a Australian 3 phase 32 amp plug or get some adapters made up with 32 amp and/or 20 amp plugs, 15A 3 pin plug also.
Blue 32 amp sockets below.
BLUE 240V 32 AMP 3 PIN INDUSTRIAL SITE PLUG or SOCKETS IP44 2P+E MALE/FEMALE | eBay
240V 16A/32A 3Pin Blue Industrial Plug & Sockets IP44 Camping Caravan Industrial | eBay

Attachments

• cee32a-gen2.jpg
    cee32a-gen2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
I believed this was delivered with some Model 3's in Australia.
Almost right.. they were 16A not 32A.

You could change the plug to a Australian 3 phase 32 amp plug
Yes you could and you could also cut off the 10A or 15A 3-pin plug and fit a 32A plug, but at a 32A location would you want to be sending 32A current down a 2.5mm² wire?
The blue commando from EVSE and the Gen2 32A adaptor both use 6mm² wire.

BLUE 240V 32 AMP 3 PIN INDUSTRIAL SITE PLUG or SOCKETS IP44 2P+E MALE/FEMALE | eBay
240V 16A/32A 3Pin Blue Industrial Plug & Sockets IP44 Camping Caravan Industrial | eBay
Nice find. Pity about IP44, but at that price point it makes sense.

I pray that never happens.
When you cut off the NEMA end you also lose the current and temperature sensing chip embedded within the NEMA plug - not a good idea.
No sparks.
Chip was indeed in the NEMA end - used (my!) bench grinder to remove plastic around the plug - followed and freed up the main conductors first - then it was pretty easy to see the path of the two sense wires and liberate the termination unscathed - considered leaving it in a blob of plastic but it was easy to see the different plastics. Taped it onto a conductor inside the 3 phase plug housing. So no soldering but 15 minutes grinding time probably isn't worth $30 (somewhat pleasing process though).
UMC charges no problem up to 32A but I detuned to 18A for a long charge to keep the voltage up around 240v.
Now my HPWC can stay in the garage for less adventurous country trips.

Reactions: moa999
Does anyone know if Tesla are selling updated the 10A and 15A tails to use with the Gen2 UMC that will actually give the full 10A and 15A charging speed?

Don't believe so. A few have asked.
Tesla had said they were looking at trying to get the old plugs software updated as the plug itself is identical.

I suspect however that the small chip (or resistor) is the same globally so it might not be possible.