Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 UMC Charger tails?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Thought it might be quicker to ask here rather than ask Tesla Service.

Does anyone know if Tesla Australia is selling other adapter tails for the Gen 2 UMC?

Basically looking for a 32A single phase and a 16A three phase.

Doesn't seem to be an online store for Australians.

Any help appreciated.

All,

Does anyone know if Tesla Australia is selling other adapter tails for the Gen 2 UMC?

Any help appreciated.

I'd like a higher rated single phase plug than the 15A supplied with the UMC as it only delivers 12A (80% of rating for continuous use) while my garage outlets and circuit are 20A. I've compromised for the moment by hooking up the HWPC in the garage choked to 16A single phase but would rather have it out on my boundary pole where I have 3 phase (charges at about 80kph).
I'll think about getting an American supplied NEMA adapter in the future if some frugal genius doesn't come up with a better solution.

As dmaunder said EVchargers is the Aussie on-line seller - see here Gen2 Adaptor product page.
Select whichever plug meets your needs from 10A single phase to 32A 3phase.
These adaptors have the temperature sensing circuit, but don't restrict the current to 80%

TOCA also have these and are available to loan to members. EVchargers offers discount to TOCA members. Check the Members Benefit page on the TOCA wevbsite for voucher code.

Model 3's will try to draw 32A, so when using you need to dial down the amperage in the car to match the outlet, (at 32A 3phase outlets you'll be fine).

The Gen2 UMC can only take single phase, to use 3 phase you'll need an 11kW EVSE with 20A or 32A tail.

Last edited:
As dmaunder said EVchargers is the Aussie on-line seller - see here Gen2 Adaptor product page.
These adaptors have the temperature sensing circuit, but don't restrict the current to 80%

TOCA also have these and are available to loan to members. EVchargers offers discount to TOCA members. Check the Members Benefit page on the TOCA wevbsite for voucher code.

Model 3's will try to draw 32A, so when using you need to dial down the amperage in the car to match the outlet, (at 32A 3phase outlets you'll be fine).

The Gen2 UMC can only take single phase, to use 3 phase you'll need an 11kW EVSE with 20A or 32A tail.

Thank

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware the new UMC was single phase only, looks like its really been cheapened up. I will more than likely by another 11kW EVSE for mobile use.

All,

Any help appreciated.
I bought tails with the tesla mobile connector at one end and no connector on the other end but with the circuitry to allow 32 amp charging from www.evseadapters.com for $US50 (shipping included). It is then just a matter of attaching an Australian 3 phase 32 amp plug. Because of the mobile connector's 32 amp limit the car will only charge from one phase though. When connecting an Australian plug, just remember that the US black wire is the active wire.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hungry Mile
I bought tails with the tesla mobile connector at one end and no connector on the other end but with the circuitry to allow 32 amp charging from www.evseadapters.com for $US50 (shipping included). It is then just a matter of attaching an Australian 3 phase 32 amp plug. Because of the mobile connector's 32 amp limit the car will only charge from one phase though. When connecting an Australian plug, just remember that the US black wire is the active wire.

I can't find one there with just the Tesla connector - can you post a link to the actual item please? They all seem to already have plugs on them
I've already got my au 32 amp plug.
I can't believe all the suppliers in AU want $250+ for this!

I can't believe all the suppliers in AU want $250+ for this!

do the math: USD59 = AUD85
32A 3phase plug, $55 + $11 delivery
say half hour of your local registered electrician's time at $80/hr (assuming he turns up and let's ignore call-out fee!) - $40
total = $191.
or $195 here

Doing it yourself you could potentially wire the plug incorrectly, not to mention illegal unless you are a licensed electrician.

say half hour of your local registered electrician's time at $80/hr (assuming he turns up and let's ignore call-out fee!) - $40
total = $191.
or $195 here

Doing it yourself you could potentially wire the plug incorrectly, not to mention illegal unless you are a licensed electrician.

Yes you are right, thanks for that.
I hadn't found that one for $195 yet.

What's the difference between 32A and 20A versions? Which is more common round Aus?

The 32A has thicker pins compared to the 20A plug. The two plug standard are not interchangeable, i.e you cannot plug a 20A plug into a 32A socket and vice versa.

As Blue Heaven says, 32A is by far the most common, but I have found by personal experience that when Plugshare says "3phase" its usually 32A, but could be either, so best be prepared and carry both 32A and 20A tails.

total = $191.
or $195 here

My math's different:
EVSE Adapters NEMA 10-50 (cut off the NEMA end) USD40 = AUD60
32A 5pin angled plug (ebay)= AUD25
Screwdrivers = AUD2 (borrow neighbours but give him a coffee)
I'll update if sparks ensue.