Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 wall charger installed 3 phase 400v 32amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Preinstalled the Charger yesterday with 3 phase 400v 32amp connection which should max out my wall charger at 11kw

Firmware was a bit of a turd to get installed but it allows power sharing when I get the Model S Plaid and my second wall charger.

M3P coming Friday, looking forward to it.

20211205_054932.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Acps110
Where did you get a 3phase compatible charger? Did you use a step down? Or all the current gen 3 have 3 phase compatibility.
The Tesla Wall Connectors sold in markets that use the Type-2 connector are capable of three phase since that vehicle connector also supports 3-phase. This is not applicable in North America since our Tesla vehicles use the proprietary Tesla connector that only supports single phase (including split-phase).

The Tesla Wall Connectors sold in markets that use the Type-2 connector are capable of three phase since that vehicle connector also supports 3-phase. This is not applicable in North America since our Tesla vehicles use the proprietary Tesla connector that only supports single phase (including split-phase).
Thank you, so sad. My business has 3 phase. And our step down we allocated for 120v already. Would have been nice to get a 3 phase charger. But I notice no other brand has a 3 phase charger either.

Thank you, so sad. My business has 3 phase. And our step down we allocated for 120v already. Would have been nice to get a 3 phase charger. But I notice no other brand has a 3 phase charger either.
Why would that have been nice? The cars built in North America don't have their onboard charger configured to even accept 3 phase electricity. And the charge ports on the cars in North America use the Tesla proprietary connector, which only has two pins for the voltage, so that can't accept 3 phase electricity either. So you still wouldn't have been able to use it even if the wall connector were installed that way.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
North American cars can't accept 3 phase power. You just take two of the 3 phases and use that. The most common light industrial 3 phase in North America is 120Y208V. That is 120V Line to Neutral and 208V Line to Line. You just take two of the hot lines and send that 208V to a Wall Connector or NEMA outlet and use that. If you have 277Y480V service, you can also take a Line to Neutral 277V line and run it through a small inexpensive transformer to drop the voltage to 240V or 250V for good vehicle compatibility.

North American cars can't accept 3 phase power. You just take two of the 3 phases and use that. The most common light industrial 3 phase in North America is 120Y208V. That is 120V Line to Neutral and 208V Line to Line. You just take two of the hot lines and send that 208V to a Wall Connector or NEMA outlet and use that. If you have 277Y480V service, you can also take a Line to Neutral 277V line and run it through a small inexpensive transformer to drop the voltage to 240V or 250V for good vehicle compatibility.
This is an example of a buck/boost transformer that will take 277V to ~245V. It's about $300 shipped and it's good for a 50A load.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Car arrived yesterday and we took it for a nice 280km round trip, plugged the charger in overnight.

Around 69km/hr charging I think, cant remember as I didn't pay close attention to this.

29% left last night 90% in the morning, this is more than enough for my needs as I never do those type of km's.

What a weapon of a system, never have to worry about looking for cheap fuel/

Petrol prices here can swing by as much as 50c a litre for the good stuff between stations.

20211211_074707.jpg

Reactions: miimura
This is an example of a buck/boost transformer that will take 277V to ~245V. It's about $300 shipped and it's good for a 50A load.

I'm looking at doing the same thing but according to my calculations the only thing I could find was a couple from Larson:
37A for $863.06
or 75A for $1,400
Does this look correct? The link you sent was only good for 6A

I'm looking at doing the same thing but according to my calculations the only thing I could find was a couple from Larson:
37A for $863.06
or 75A for $1,400
The one you linked is not optimal because the voltage ratio drops the voltage more than necessary. It's also much more expensive.
I don't see why you think the one from my link is 6A. My link shows SKU FT0167, Input 272V, Output 240V, 12.7kVA, 53.1A

The one you linked is not optimal because the voltage ratio drops the voltage more than necessary. It's also much more expensive.
I don't see why you think the one from my link is 6A. My link shows SKU FT0167, Input 272V, Output 240V, 12.7kVA, 53.1A
Thanks for double checking it. I was looking at their spec sheet and it said "Kva: 1.5 but sure enough the spread sheet does say 12.7kVA
I ordered it so I'll report on the installation in a week or so.
Thanks again

37A for $863.06
or 75A for $1,400
270-280V works fine with a wall charger gen2. M3p charger maxes at 13kw. See how the max current is not reaching 48A
3663D670-C187-4CA0-ACFC-57937FF10A4A.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
What I’d like to know is - Does the EU/UK model 3 and Y have a 11kw or 22kw 3 phase charging capability?
It definitely doesn't have a 22 kW charger. That hasn't been available since the early Model S since early 2016.

Tesla has a larger charger in the cars with the bigger batteries, and a smaller charger in the smaller battery cars, like the Model 3 SR+. The larger one is the 12kW, and the smaller one is two thirds of that--about 8 kW.

Preinstalled the Charger yesterday with 3 phase 400v 32amp connection which should max out my wall charger at 11kw

Firmware was a bit of a turd to get installed but it allows power sharing when I get the Model S Plaid and my second wall charger.

M3P coming Friday, looking forward to it.

View attachment 740775
We
It definitely doesn't have a 22 kW charger. That hasn't been available since the early Model S since early 2016.

Tesla has a larger charger in the cars with the bigger batteries, and a smaller charger in the smaller battery cars, like the Model 3 SR+. The larger one is the 12kW, and the smaller one is two thirds of that--about 8 kW.
that was my understanding as well. What is the purpose of having 22kw wall connector if there is no tesla with a higher than 11kw charger? Maybe other brand vehicles? Cybertruck?

That’s because I used one leg from a 277/480v 3 phase. You can find this in industrial environment only. AFAIK
Well in theory I could use a step-up transformer. I'd need to take the power from a 80A breaker on my panel and use bigger wiring on the 240V portion though...

What is the maximum voltage that you can feed into the OBC? Seems like 277V is okay but I'm guessing 480V is not.

Last edited:
that was my understanding as well. What is the purpose of having 22kw wall connector if there is no tesla with a higher than 11kw charger? Maybe other brand vehicles? Cybertruck?
The purpose of the 22 kW wall connector was that the early Tesla vehicles DID come with a 22 kW onboard charger (optional) that could use all of that fully. That's what I just explained:
That hasn't been available since the early Model S since early 2016.
The first several years of the Model S from 2012 through early 2016 had a system of single or dual onboard chargers. They were two separate pieces, and they were each 11 kW, so if you had two of them installed, they did have 22 kW power capability, and so that's what the older wall connectors could supply. It was all wonderful.

But for the last several years, Tesla has taken an attitude that they don't want to even offer the option of higher level AC charging. They moved the onboard chargers in the cars down to the 12 kW maximum, and then replaced the Gen2 wall connectors, which could do 22 kW with the newer Gen3 wall connectors, which were smaller, cheaper, less capable, and less reliable that can only do 12 kW. So that's what we have now.