Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector: New 24 foot cable version available now: can we upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can always call and ask. If enough people ask maybe they'll supply a kit or swap option. I can't imagine they'd want to do a swap, what are they gonna do with thousands of 18' cables, now that they don't even sell an 8.5' option anymore.

I assume they won't want to supply a kit either. Imagine the liability of someone reaching into a 240V appliance and screwing with the high-current leads! One slightly loose, or not VERY tight connection, and the thing could catch fire, burn a house down, potentially even kill someone.

MAYBE they'll give the option of a swap done by a service ranger. It'd be like a 10-15 minute operation... not even exaggerating.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I have the 18' version installed in May 21 and really want the 24'. So I ordered a 24' version today and once I get that I will sell the 18' version on eBay to get back most of the money I just paid for the 24' version. Crazy on eBay they are selling for almost as much as a new one. I don't expect to lose more than $100 to make the swap.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I have the 18' version installed in May 21 and really want the 24'. So I ordered a 24' version today and once I get that I will sell the 18' version on eBay to get back most of the money I just paid for the 24' version. Crazy on eBay they are selling for almost as much as a new one. I don't expect to lose more than $100 to make the swap.
Considering doing the same, it's a super easy swap.

Tim

Was the swap easy? Did you have to unhook any cables? Or are you able to just snap the front portion of the 24ft cable unit into the current back plate that came with the 18ft unit?

Was the swap easy? Did you have to unhook any cables? Or are you able to just snap the front portion of the 24ft cable unit into the current back plate that came with the 18ft unit?
That's all it is... unscrew the four allen head screws(two top, two bottom) holding the front assembly on, pull off the old front assembly+cable, put the new front assembly+cable on and put the screws back in. You don't even really need to turn off the breaker(although its a great idea!). The baseplate is the same.

That's all it is... unscrew the four allen head screws(two top, two bottom) holding the front assembly on, pull off the old front assembly+cable, put the new front assembly+cable on and put the screws back in. You don't even really need to turn off the breaker(although its a great idea!). The baseplate is the same.
Awesome, thanks for the response. Another question, do I have to do anything to the old unit before selling it? Do I need to reset it or something beforehand? Thx again.

Awesome, thanks for the response. Another question, do I have to do anything to the old unit before selling it? Do I need to reset it or something beforehand? Thx again.
If you really want to, you could change the wifi password et al so it won't be able to connect to your wifi, but its really not necessary. I guess a really ambitious bad guy could harvest the wifi information from it and then come to somewhere near your home and steal your internet access et al, but if I know Tesla they won't be aggressively clearing that memory even if you change/remove it.

• Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX
Every time I see this topic, I always beat myself up for not remembering the service where you send them your Wall Connector or Mobile Connector and they will replace the cable with your chosen length. I think they went up to some ridiculous lengths (like upwards of 50 or 100 feet). Can't seem to find them any more.

Every time I see this topic, I always beat myself up for not remembering the service where you send them your Wall Connector or Mobile Connector and they will replace the cable with your chosen length. I think they went up to some ridiculous lengths (like upwards of 50 or 100 feet). Can't seem to find them any more.
There definitely used to be such a service, but it was very expensive. It might have been warranted, because there are three heavy-gauge wires and 4 or 5 signaling wires going through that cable, and until Gen3 those higher gauge wires had to be rated for 100 amps(for Gen2) and still be flexible.

They got a little hard to find because they changed their name. They used to be called "Quick Charge Power" and had a QC as their logo. If you Google for their old three word name, you can still find them. They are now just called "QC Charge", and the website address is different, but the logo is the same.

No: that's something different. They just sell extension cables and adaptors. The company I was thinking of would just take the equipment you supplied and replaced the cable with a longer one, sending you back your equipment.

Not a big deal: it's not something I would do. It's more out of curiosity at this point. (Okay - an obsession. Whatever.)

No: that's something different.
It is not different.
They just sell extension cables and adaptors.
They have changed their product offerings over the years, and it seems that is all they offer now, but it is that same company.
The company I was thinking of would just take the equipment you supplied and replaced the cable with a longer one, sending you back your equipment.
Yes. This is exactly that company that you are talking about. That is a service they used to do. It seems that they have discontinued offering that service, and it's not listed on their website anymore.

Here's an example. This is a comment in a Tesla thread where someone direct linked to the page for the service of sending in your Tesla UMC to have them lengthen the cable of it.

The link to that page is broken now, because they changed their name and website, but Quick Charge Power is now QC Charge. It's the same company. Here is that page that the link goes to from Internet Archive in the summer of 2019, when it was the old website:
Look at that logo at the top--it's the exact same logo. This is the company you are thinking of, but their service offerings have changed. The company is run by Tony Williams, who is a long time participant on this forum. You could probably still contact them directly and ask to have that done.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kevy Baby