Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector speed on MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I upgrade the onboard amp?

Things to check:

1. First check to see if the Wall Connector is configured for a 50-amp or 60-amp circuit. If it was set to a 50-amp circuit then the max charge rate is 40-amps. There may be a good reason the electrician did this (below).
2. Plug in the connector and go to the charging screen, check to see if a limit has been set. If you see the number 40 with a plus sign, press the plus sign until it reads 48 and the plus sign goes away. If there is no plus sign after the 40, see #1 above
3. If you have installed any 3rd party apps for managing or collecting data from the Tesla they could be the problem. Remove them for now.

Why would the electrician have configured your connector for a 50-amp circuit? If they used #6 Romex, which is common, that wire is rated to 55-amps, not 60-amps. It is OK to use a 60-amp breaker since there are no 55-amp breakers, but for the connector to run at 48-amps you need a wire rated at 60-amps. In such a case the electrician should have set the connector to a 50-amp circuit.
Thank you. Checked all that. Electrician used 60amp. Wall Connector Support team rep confirmed my old 2013 Model S onboard amp max is 40A. Bummer.

• Helpful
Reactions: ATPMSD
The standard on-board charger for a 2013 MS is only capable of supporting 40amp max charging. There was an option to get what are essentially dual 40amp on-board units that would make it capable of 80amp. It sounds like your car is likely only equipped with the standard 40amp configuration.

The standard 48 amp onboard charger did not become available until some point in 2016 per my understanding. That's what I have on my mid-2016 produced MS90D.
Thank you. A Tesla rep shared that with me yesterday. Too bad your explanation wasn't posted on Tesla's website before I purchased it.