Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector speed on MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably a stupid question but I just installed a Gen 3 wall connector today for use with my 2018 75D MS and just got home expecting to see 44 mph of range for the charge and its 36 pegging sometimes at 37. It's on a 60 Amp breaker delivering 48 Amps at 241/242 Volts. I found an article online showing the breakdown of the charging for M3/MY, MS, and MX and it says the S and X charge slower S is around 34 on their charts so I guess my 36 is good. Still confused as to why we don't get the 44 mph on the S?

Batteries charge slower when cold

Higher speed charging is faster when battery is below 20% and slows as it gets fuller.

48A would be under ideal perfect textbook conditions.

Yes 3 & Y can charge faster in general. Depending on specifics.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
That generation Model S is less efficient. Thus higher KWh per mile. That means an hour of charging doesn’t add as much range as for a more efficient newer car.
That makes perfect since thank you. 36/37 mph is plenty fast enough and I'm planning on setting it to the 40 or 30 Amp setting anyway since I don't need that speed for daily charging and I think slower charging is better for the battery. It will be nice to have the faster 48 Amps when I need it though.

That makes perfect since thank you. 36/37 mph is plenty fast enough and I'm planning on setting it to the 40 or 30 Amp setting anyway since I don't need that speed for daily charging and I think slower charging is better for the battery. It will be nice to have the faster 48 Amps when I need it though.
This is where some would say the best way to speak of charging rates is in terms of kW and not miles/hr.

It's the same as fueling a gasoline car. The pump might deliver the same 4 gallons a minute, but when you convert that into miles added, a fuel efficient car getting say 30 mpg was fueled at a rate of 120 mi/minute versus an older full size SUV or HD Pick-up maybe getting 15 mpg would only achieve 60 mi/minute. So while both car's fuel tanks are being filled at the same rate, the adding range in miles per time is different.

Enjoy your MS.

That generation Model S is less efficient. Thus higher KWh per mile. That means an hour of charging doesn’t add as much range as for a more efficient newer car.
I just had an electrician install a gen 3 wall connector with 60amp for my 2013 Model S and I am not getting 48/48 amp charging. I am only getting 40amp charging. Not sure why either.

Things to check:

1. First check to see if the Wall Connector is configured for a 50-amp or 60-amp circuit. If it was set to a 50-amp circuit then the max charge rate is 40-amps. There may be a good reason the electrician did this (below).
2. Plug in the connector and go to the charging screen, check to see if a limit has been set. If you see the number 40 with a plus sign, press the plus sign until it reads 48 and the plus sign goes away. If there is no plus sign after the 40, see #1 above
3. If you have installed any 3rd party apps for managing or collecting data from the Tesla they could be the problem. Remove them for now.

Why would the electrician have configured your connector for a 50-amp circuit? If they used #6 Romex, which is common, that wire is rated to 55-amps, not 60-amps. It is OK to use a 60-amp breaker since there are no 55-amp breakers, but for the connector to run at 48-amps you need a wire rated at 60-amps. In such a case the electrician should have set the connector to a 50-amp circuit.

I just had an electrician install a gen 3 wall connector with 60amp for my 2013 Model S and I am not getting 48/48 amp charging. I am only getting 40amp charging. Not sure why either.
The standard on-board charger for a 2013 MS is only capable of supporting 40amp max charging. There was an option to get what are essentially dual 40amp on-board units that would make it capable of 80amp. It sounds like your car is likely only equipped with the standard 40amp configuration.

The standard 48 amp onboard charger did not become available until some point in 2016 per my understanding. That's what I have on my mid-2016 produced MS90D.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD
Can someone confirm if slower charging is better for the battery outside of going to superchargers? Just installed the Gen 3 as well. It wouldn't make sense in my eyes if it would actually do any harm for a product they sell on their website anyway. Like why would that be bad for the battery if it charged faster? Still it takes hours to charge.. but I'm curious

Can someone confirm if slower charging is better for the battery outside of going to superchargers? Just installed the Gen 3 as well. It wouldn't make sense in my eyes if it would actually do any harm for a product they sell on their website anyway. Like why would that be bad for the battery if it charged faster? Still it takes hours to charge.. but I'm curious
“Slower charging” when talking about L2 power levels is completely and totally irrelevant.

The standard 48 amp onboard charger did not become available until some point in 2016 per my understanding. That's what I have on my mid-2016 produced MS90D.
Until late 2016 or early 2017, Model S/X with small battery had a single 40 Amp onboard charger. Large battery (85 label) had two 40 Amp chargers for 80 Amps total - the limit for a 100 Amp circuit.

Also, customers with a single 40 Amp charger could order a second 40 Amp onboard charger for installation at the Service Center.

By 2017, large battery S/X (90 or 100 label) shipped with three 24 Amp chargers for 72 Amps total. Smaller batteries got two units for 48 Amps.

Mid-2018, as Supercharger deployment increased, all vehicles shipped with 48 Amp chargers.

FWIW, there’s speculation that Tesla will offer 72 or 80 Amp charging for large battery CyberTrucks. That would make overnight recharging practical for owners who use the truck intensively - powering an off-grid work site, towing…

Until late 2016 or early 2017, Model S/X with small battery had a single 40 Amp onboard charger.
Single or dual 40 amp chargers were discontinued with the first Model S refresh in April 2016.

All cars came standard with the single 40 amp charger and all could be ordered from the factory with dual chargers.
By 2017, large battery S/X (90 or 100 label) shipped with three 24 Amp chargers for 72 Amps total. Smaller batteries got two units for 48 Amps.
Post-April 2016 refresh, all cars came standard with 48 amp chargers and all could be configured with the 72 amp “high amperage charger” option when ordered.

Later on in 2017 they did make the 72 amp option standard in the big batteries when they collapsed/eliminated a bunch of a la carte options, before nixing it entirely.

Single or dual 40 amp chargers were discontinued with the first Model S refresh in April 2016.

All cars came standard with the single 40 amp charger and all could be ordered from the factory with dual chargers.

Post-April 2016 refresh, all cars came standard with 48 amp chargers and all could be configured with the 72 amp “high amperage charger” option when ordered.

Later on in 2017 they did make the 72 amp option standard in the big batteries when they collapsed/eliminated a bunch of a la carte options, before nixing it entirely.
Can I upgrade the onboard amp?