Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or simply making the cable 24' like the last one would also solve the "problem" instead of having to back when charging.
Backing in is far simpler for some people than others.

The standard width of a 2 car garage door is 16 feet. The distance from my sidewall mounting location to the midpoint of the opposite side parking space is 15 feet. If the Charger is wall mounted on either side wall toward the garage door with and 18 foot cable, you would be able to charge a vehicle parked in either side of the garage (pulled in forward). Or you could charge while backed in on the side with the charger wall. Have set mine up this way (new construction) as while charging I have no cables blocking passage into the garage and have the flexablilty of parking on either side when needed.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
A few years ago I built my garage out with four OpenEVSE based charging stations. My wife drives a Bolt, and my kids drive an i-Miev. I bought an extra adapter to leave on my station and I am good with that trade off versus having to worry about having different stations in different places and all that. I have zero regrets in doing it this way and if I feel like buying a Mach-E to get the 7500 tax credit, I can do that without dealing with changing stuff. I am not saying I will buy a Mach-e, but it is nice to have that option and not deal with rebuilding charging stuff.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Anyone having trouble getting the Gen3 wall charger connecting to their home wi-fi? I had mine installed this morning and it will NOT connect, no matter what I do. In the "web server" interface it usually won't even see my wi-fi, though my phone right next to it sees it just fine. Also, it sees other wi-fi networks. Sometimes it will see my Guest network, but still won't connect.

Pretty bummed.

My electric company gives a rebate if you install a charger with WiFi so they can monitor your usage. I can imagine this is going to be used for billing eventually.
My local power company is planning to implement a pilot of EV TOU charging which will require a wifi connected charger.

SCC DocketSearch

"Equipment Requirements. Participants must (i) own an all-electric vehicle; and (ii) charge the electric vehicle at home utilizing a specific type of Wi-Fi- enabled, Level 2 charger continuously connected to the internet to transmit consumption data to the Cooperative"

It would seem that Tesla would have to allow their wall charger to share data with a utility for this to work properly.

I would be shocked if they support the Tesla station.

In the long term they might, but the time to get a station tested and brought into their system is going to be substantial, and the lead time that the power company is working to is very short. Since Tesla Gen3 wifi features seem to be very limited right now I would be amazed if they have the required functionality in 2020.

I would be shocked if they support the Tesla station.

In the long term they might, but the time to get a station tested and brought into their system is going to be substantial, and the lead time that the power company is working to is very short. Since Tesla Gen3 wifi features seem to be very limited right now I would be amazed if they have the required functionality in 2020.

I reached out to Tesla and received the following response from their Sr. Product Manager, Home Charging:

"The Gen 3 Wall Connector currently is not able to take advantage of this program.
We are exploring this kind of opportunities, so it’s possible for future integration."

I hope this is something that Tesla will work on since I'd rather buy a Tesla Wall Charger than a 3rd party Level II. Perhaps there is some add-on wifi connected meter that could be put in line with the Tesla Wall Charger and communicate back to the power company to enable EV specific TOU plan metering.

I believe the WiFi JuiceBox and ChargePoint Home units can load balance. However, I'm not sure about the ChargePoint.

I agree that the Clipper Creek Share2 HCS-50 bundle is a little overpriced at $1638. At least it is a full 40A to the car. I don't really see the point of the smaller HCS-40 and HCS-30 based Share2 bundles.

Easy option JuiceBox, so long as you have reliable internet as this is cloud based.

Bit more advanced option, OpenEVSE and some code to query it's API for the current being delivered, and adjust all of the stations accordingly. You would need to run that code on something, like a Rasberry Pi or whatever you might have.

If you write this code and feel like making it public, reply to this thread or me personally as I would like to reuse and contribute! This is part of a larger project I plan to undertake in a month or two.

Developers Guide MQTT
Page 14 gives you the basic goods to get started with this.

Easy option JuiceBox, so long as you have reliable internet as this is cloud based.

Bit more advanced option, OpenEVSE and some code to query it's API for the current being delivered, and adjust all of the stations accordingly. You would need to run that code on something, like a Rasberry Pi or whatever you might have.

If you write this code and feel like making it public, reply to this thread or me personally as I would like to reuse and contribute! This is part of a larger project I plan to undertake in a month or two.

Developers Guide MQTT
Page 14 gives you the basic goods to get started with this.

300 amperes to the garage? I think that must be almost a record! Do you have a 400 ampere service to the home and a 300 ampere branch or do you have a dedicated 300 ampere separate service? Do you in that case have 2 meter-reading charges per month?

Thanks, Bill

Single meter on 400A service. This is implemented as two 200A panels in my basement. Each of those two 200A panels has a 150A Square D QO Plug on breaker in it feeding a sub panel in the garage. QO2150 - QO mini breaker, 150 A, 2 pole, 120/240 V, 10 kA, plug in | Schneider E

Each of the subpanels has two 100A OpenEVSE charging connected to it providing 80A continuous to any cars I want. In practice I set two of the stations to 40A to avoid issues, but I could alter it to be 72 and 48, or any other combination that adds up to 120 per panel. To add to the fun each panel also has a NEMA 14-50 on it in case I need to charge six cars simultaneously. I have actually had six cars charging simultaneously when I hosted the FVEAA.org meeting.

In practice this is fine, but I want to make it dynamic so I can plug in any car and have it automatically shift load around instead of managing it manually. With Tesla backing off of higher amperage chargers this seems less relevant, but I suspect others will raise the bar on that again some day. I also want to reduce charge rate based on power costs as I am on a market pricing driven cost program.

The Tesla Techs were over the other day servicing the ancient S, and were actually impressed with the setup. The stations are my creation based on OpenEVSE, but they are in enclosures with clear covers. Two of them are recessed into the walls.

To your point, I have yet to hear of a residential install as large as mine.

Last edited:
I am a patient person, so I may buy a 500 mile CyberTruck on the used market some day. I certainly hope they go back to 72 amp chargers for them, but the fact that the HPWC now only supports 48 amps isn't a good sign for that.

Tesla has changed its mind so many times. They used to have a plug in the wall HPWC but looks like that is discontinued now also. They just bring out their latest thing, under the assumption that no one has bought a previous vehicle. I liked the version that would charge the cars at 277 volts but they've now discontinued that as well. Good for office buildings or shopping centers where the wallboxes were going to be for tesla cars only anyway.

All chargers around here are always 'separately derived' 208 volt things (and that's being optimistic - sometimes I've seen as low as 30 amperes, 187 volts for my roadster), even when there is plenty of 277 volts available, plus it wouldn't load down the 480-208 transformer - but for some reason 'smallish' loads are ALWAYS hooked up on the 208 volt side of things which I've never understood.

Tesla must have gotten complaints that people's Jesla adapters wouldn't work since the wallbox will only work at 277 with a Tesla.

Tesla must have gotten complaints that people's Jesla adapters wouldn't work since the wallbox will only work at 277 with a Tesla.

If I am recalling properly older cars were fine with voltages above 250, but the newer Tesla cars aren't happy and will not take voltages much above 250. As the chargers are now more or less world chargers I am not sure if that caused this shift in charging policy, but it does seem likely.

Generally older EV's were quite flexible in what they would consume. I vaguely recall guys charging their Leaf off of 277 too.

Last edited:
I assume this is the part number

Attachments

• WallConnector.png
    WallConnector.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Informative
Reactions: Limited