Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should I be concerned? I had to remove and put back my wall connector (took off in the morning and put back at night) and my voltage is quite a bit lower than it was before I reinstalled everything.

At 48 amps before I was at 240-242v, now I'm at 237-239, 24 amps was 245v before now I'm at 241.

On the wall connector IP its showing l1 and l2 fluctuating between 116-117 for a total of 233v between l1 and l2, before it was showing 117-119 for a total of 236 or so.

Did I botch the install a tiny bit somehow or chock it to my provider dropping voltage due to the cold? Wires are routed nearly identical to first install, 25ft romex 6/3 wiring.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess something up
Oh, you did. But it was already messed up before you moved and rewired it:

At 48 amps [...] 25ft romex 6/3 wiring.
This is an electric code violation.
6 gauge Romex only has an acceptable rating for up to 55A circuits. You are using it as a 60A circuit, which is wrong. That may be why you are dealing with voltage drop problems, but more simply, you shouldn't be violating code by using undersized wire for your circuit level.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Oh, you did. But it was already messed up before you moved and rewired it:

This is an electric code violation.
6 gauge Romex only has an acceptable rating for up to 55A circuits. You are using it as a 60A circuit, which is wrong. That may be why you are dealing with voltage drop problems, but more simply, you shouldn't be violating code by using undersized wire for your circuit level.
The car will draw max 48 amps. Found this with a Google search:
Screenshot_20221206_084031_Chrome.jpg

• Disagree
@zoomer0056 But that is NOT how the round-up rule is applied and CAN'T be used here. People make this mistake very frequently, and it's been covered hundreds of times here on the forum. Here's the gist of it. Sure, technically you can round-up the breaker. But that's it. What is the rating of the circuit? It's still the lowest limit, which is still 55A from the cable!! People mistake this with thinking that when the breaker is rounded up, a magic wand has been waved over the whole thing and now it's all a fully rated 60A circuit. That's not true, so you can't run 48A continuous on it.

Here is a post on this from a while ago that includes a teaching video from someone explaining this provision from electric code and why it can't be used like that.

*EDIT* Ah, I just noticed you do have that line at the end "provided that the calculated load is 55A or less" and this isn't. It's being run at 48A continuous, which needs a 125% oversized circuit, which means it's a 60A rated load, which is over 55A, so not allowed. If there were a setting to run 44A continuous for a 55A circuit, that would comply, but Tesla's wall connector doesn't have a setting for that, so you can't do it. With 6 gauge Romex, you simply have to turn it down and have a 50A breaker.