Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III Range & Pricing Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the competition will come from Hyundai /Kia. Their innovation rate in design and technology seems much higher than most other manufacturers, not counting halo cars. They have a hybrid with Li batteries and they have a lot of money behind them. Each year, their models make a big jump forward and I think they could push a 200mi EV out on the street before anyone else, even before Tesla.
I hope I am wrong on that last one....

I think the competition will come from Hyundai /Kia. Their innovation rate in design and technology seems much higher than most other manufacturers, not counting halo cars. They have a hybrid with Li batteries and they have a lot of money behind them. Each year, their models make a big jump forward and I think they could push a 200mi EV out on the street before anyone else, even before Tesla.
I hope I am wrong on that last one....
Since batteries are still expensive, this puts Hyundai/Kia at a disadvantage, because they are viewed as "cheap" cars. People aren't going to pay a premium for that brand.

Here's an idea. Rather than making a $35k car, why doesn't Tesla sell the car for $25k, and lease/rent the $15K battery.

People save money buying a cheaper car, and their petrol savings can pay the lease on the battery. Tesla ends up with the same money. Peoples worries about the batteries are negated, and Tesla goes from being the expensive option to a *very* cost competitive option.

Rather than making a $35k car, why doesn't Tesla sell the car for $25k, and lease/rent the $15K battery.
That is because Tesla Motors is a car company and not a bank/credit institution.

People save money buying a cheaper car, and their petrol savings can pay the lease on the battery. Tesla ends up with the same money. Peoples worries about the batteries are negated, and Tesla goes from being the expensive option to a *very* cost competitive option.
People can go to a bank, get credit to buy a car and then with their petrol savings pay back the bank. Who is stopping then?

They cannot get the credit from a bank? Why should then tesla lend them money?

My guess is close to $60k but that will likely evolve over time as they add options. This is what happened to the Model S when they announced the P85 Performance model, sub zero weather package etc.

Actually, it'll likely be $80k+ with all options, performance, plus, etc. Just look at a fully-loaded BMW M3 and it'll likely be priced to match that.

Maybe, but I've never heard Elon or anyone else from Tesla refer to the M3. It has always been the regular 3 series which fells well below $80k.

The M3 (performance model of the 3 series) would be like a the Gen3 performance model. Here's my rough price guesses:

$35,000 - base 48kwh Gen3 with no options
$45,000 - larger battery pack Gen3 with no options but w/supercharging
$55,000-60,000 - performance Gen3 with larger battery pack w/supercharging
$80,000+ - performance Gen3 with larger battery pack, fully loaded (air suspension, larger wheels, pano, tech, sound, leather, and all available options)

Maybe, but I've never heard Elon or anyone else from Tesla refer to the M3. It has always been the regular 3 series which fells well below $80k.

The M3 (performance model of the 3 series) would be like a the Gen3 performance model. Here's my rough price guesses:

$35,000 - base 48kwh Gen3 with no options
$45,000 - larger battery pack Gen3 with no options but w/supercharging
$55,000-60,000 - performance Gen3 with larger battery pack w/supercharging
$80,000+ - performance Gen3 with larger battery pack, fully loaded (air suspension, larger wheels, pano, tech, sound, leather, and all available options)

I can agree with this but I could also see Tesla referring to the $80k+ as a different model in the same way BMW has the regular 3 Series and the M3 series. Basically just a matter of semantics I suppose.
What will be I interesting to see is what is the average sale price in year 1, year 2 and year 3 as they add options. You can be sure it will be an upward curve just like the S.

I hope the base model gen3 is a compelling car.
I would hate for it to have the "I bought the budget model" feel.
I know elon said it will be 20% smaller and less features.
But imo it shouldn't have less features than the base modelS. Except maybe folding mirrors(or is that an option).
I'm also interested to see if they change the underside of the gen3 car to avoid the 'fire' headlines that could come back due to many more gen3s being on the road compared to modelS.
I know they made the retro fit for the modelS, but I would assume they incorporate a better design into gen3 that doesn't just bolt on after production.

I hope the base model gen3 is a compelling car.
I would hate for it to have the "I bought the budget model" feel.
I know elon said it will be 20% smaller and less features.
But imo it shouldn't have less features than the base modelS. Except maybe folding mirrors(or is that an option).

I remember Elon saying that the Gen3 will have fewer options on the base model compared to the Model S.

I think this is one of the ways they will be able to achieve the $35k price point. But you can probably take a look at a base BMW 3 series and the base Gen3 will have similar installed options/features.

Not sure how many less features they can go. The S wasn't exactly loaded with them beyond the fancy touchscreen apps like slacker and the web browser.

Yeah, I was thinking what features they could remove on the Gen3 base (vs Model S base):
- sensor windshield wipers
- power seats
- keyless entry
- Internet connection
- cruise control
- ?

Yeah, I was thinking what features they could remove on the Gen3 base (vs Model S base):
- sensor windshield wipers
- power seats
- keyless entry
- Internet connection
- cruise control
- ?

Keyless entry is standard on every car now days isn't it?
I don't think the internet connection will go, unless tesla are happy to only connect to the car when connected to wifi. Unless they allow you to use your phone as a modem...
Can't get rid of cruise control, remember tesla is still a premium car, they are comparing this car to a BMW not a Kia.
Pop out door handles will disappear I reckon.
I would think the BMW 3 series has all those features except maybe auto wipers.

The following items could get less expensive without removal of the 'feature':
touchscreen -- smaller
interior in general -- more plastics, cloth, less leather
internet connection could be completely reliant on a wifi connection -- a tethered phone
exterior paint could get more basic
car could use less aluminum, more plastic & steel
tires/wheels will almost certainly be smaller and can be cheaper besides

plus I expect some economies of scale and cheaper battery tech.