Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Tesla Q1 2018 Predictions

Model S/X : 22000 deliveries
Model 3 : 8000 deliveries (Production 10k)
Energy revenue : 500 million (Australia Battery project. some contribution from Powerwall 2, Solar roof )
Revenue : 3.6 billion (2.5 + 0.3 + 0.5 + 0.3) (Automotive Sales + Leasing + Energy+ Services)
GAAP Loss: 550 million (Assumptions : High end Model S/X Mix margin 25%, 30% margin Energy)
Non GAAP Loss : 400 million
Cash flow from Operations : 200 million (continued increase in customer deposits model 3, S,X , semi and roadster)
Cash flow from Financing: 540 million
CapEx : 1 billion

Downside risk to above is less model S and X deliveries and lower margin, in that case GAAP Loss could be 650 million
Upside to above estimate more S/X/3 deliveries (25K+10K) GAAP loss of 350 million

I know people are depressed bcos of low model 3 production but look at the big picture. Tesla produced 2.5k model 3 in Q4 and Q1 they will at least produce 10k that is 4X increase.

Tesla will not be able to maintain production more than 2.5K in Q2 because once they get new automated line up and running they will convert the semi automated lines to automated one to improve margin. Plus All wheel drive, White interior, Standard battery addition to production lines will also pose the problems in ramp. But I see average production to be around 2.5 K per week for whole quarter.

PFB predictions for rest of the 2018.

Tesla Q2 2018 Predictions

Model S/X : 24000 deliveries
Model 3 : 20000 deliveries (Production 30 k)
Energy revenue : 500 million (Increased contribution from Powerwall 2, Solar roof )
Revenue : 4.4 billion (3.1 + 0.4 + 0.5 + 0.4)
GAAP Loss: 400 million (Assumptions : High end Model S/X Mix margin 25%, 30% margin Energy, model 3 margin 10%)
Non GAAP Loss : 250 million
Cash flow from Operations : 500 million (continued increase in customer deposits model 3, S,X , semi and roadster)
Cash flow from Financing: 0

Tesla Q3 2018 Predictions
Model S/X : 26000 deliveries
Model 3 : 60000 deliveries (Production 70 k higher mix of Long range + AWD)
Energy revenue : 700 million (Increased contribution from Powerwall 2, Solar roof )
Revenue : 6.95 billion (5.3 + 0.45 + 0.7 + 0.5)
GAAP Loss: 50 million (Assumptions : Model S/X margin 25%, 30% margin Energy, model 3 margin 20%, Increased R&D and Sales expense)
Non GAAP Profit : 150 million
Cash flow from Operations : 1.1 billion (Model Y)

Tesla Q4 2018 Predictions

Model S/X : 29000 deliveries
Model 3 : 75000 deliveries (Production 90 k)
Energy revenue : 900 million (Increased contribution from Powerwall 2, Solar roof )
Revenue : 8.2 billion (6.2 + 0.5 + 0.9 + 0.6)
GAAP Profit: 300 million (Assumptions : Model S/X margin 25%, 30% margin Energy, model 3 margin 22% Increased R&D and Sales expense, Autonomous driving GA)
Non GAAP Profit: 550 million
Cash flow from Operations : 1.6 billion (Model Y)

In upcoming quarters model 3 deliveries and margin will be the wild card , but any miss on that will be offset by increased energy revenue, ZEV credits , Autonomous driving availability sometime in Q3 . Model Y , semi , roadster reservations, delayed model 3 supplier payments will continue to help cash flow. I expect Tesla to continue Model 3 ramp post Q2 to 10K which will be achieved by June 2019. December 2018 rate assumed to be 7.5K.
Thank you for this. This is a well tempered bullish prediction with numbers and appears well thought out. (I also like it because it aligns with what I’ve had in mind lately.) good job.

• Informative
Reactions: avoigt
Never meant to imply they would need to run anything at the point that it would physically break. I meant more of burst from ridiculously slow up to where the system is designed to run with the goal to see if it can do it or if something breaks because of unforeseen issues. I don't think anyone thinks there is a good reason to run the system faster then it needs to to achieve the production volume the system was designed to produce. My point is that it's hard to fix things if you can't have some breakage or identify issues that need to be fixed. You need to know in advance so that you can fix things before you are 1 week from the end of the quarter and you are trying to hit goals. No one is talking about bursting to 10k/w speeds at this point. How about just 2k/w, then 3k/w next month and so on up to 5k. To get there, you must run the system at those speeds long enough to find issues and fix them. Or find to issues and validate the quality. Then you run the systems at these higher speeds for longer and longer periods. Rinse and repeat.

Post was a general, "let's make sure we are all talking about the same thing". Not directed at you, or anyone else specifically.

Individual cell/ station cycle timing tests are done first. Test cell 1, Test cell 1 faster, fix cell 1, test cell 1 faster. Repeat down the line (in parallel if upstream quality is sufficient). Once the line is up, they can focus on the slowest spot with the benefit of a continuous supply of the assemblies from the previous step. So before the burst run of the entire line happens, they already have confidence it can perform at that rate. This can be seen in the update letter where they mention some sections are faster than others.

Welds/ paint/ adhesives are the items that are directly affected by time. Most of the rest of things are material movement/ fastening which are limited by the path taken and physics. Human performed operations will be the most variable that improve with practice.

tl;dr; Lots of testing on small sections and their interaction with neighbors, then full line test which (from station point of view) looks the same but tests the larger factory support system (material movement and such).

• Helpful
Reactions: immunogold
My Tesla Q1 2018 Predictions

Model S/X : 22000 deliveries
Model 3 : 8000 deliveries (Production 10k)
Energy revenue : 500 million (Australia Battery project. some contribution from Powerwall 2, Solar roof )
Revenue : 3.6 billion (2.5 + 0.3 + 0.5 + 0.3) (Automotive Sales + Leasing + Energy+ Services)
GAAP Loss: 550 million (Assumptions : High end Model S/X Mix margin 25%, 30% margin Energy)
Non GAAP Loss : 400 million
Cash flow from Operations : 200 million (continued increase in customer deposits model 3, S,X , semi and roadster)
Cash flow from Financing: 540 million

Downside risk to above is less model S and X deliveries and lower margin, in that case GAAP Loss could be 650 million
Upside to above estimate more S/X/3 deliveries (25K+10K) GAAP loss of 350 million

I know people are depressed bcos of low model 3 production but look at the big picture. Tesla produced 2.5k model 3 in Q4 and Q1 they will at least produce 10k that is 4X increase.

Tesla will not be able to maintain production more than 2.5K in Q2 because once they get new automated line up and running they will convert the semi automated lines to automated one to improve margin. Plus All wheel drive, White interior, Standard battery addition to production lines will also pose the problems in ramp. But I see average production to be around 2.5 K per week for whole quarter.

PFB predictions for rest of the 2018.

Tesla Q2 2018 Predictions

Model S/X : 24000 deliveries
Model 3 : 20000 deliveries (Production 30 k)
Energy revenue : 500 million (Increased contribution from Powerwall 2, Solar roof )
Revenue : 4.4 billion (3.1 + 0.4 + 0.5 + 0.4)
GAAP Loss: 400 million (Assumptions : High end Model S/X Mix margin 25%, 30% margin Energy, model 3 margin 10%)
Non GAAP Loss : 250 million
Cash flow from Operations : 500 million (continued increase in customer deposits model 3, S,X , semi and roadster)

Tesla Q3 2018 Predictions
Model S/X : 26000 deliveries
Model 3 : 60000 deliveries (Production 70 k higher mix of Long range + AWD)
Energy revenue : 700 million (Increased contribution from Powerwall 2, Solar roof )
Revenue : 6.95 billion (5.3 + 0.45 + 0.7 + 0.5)
GAAP Loss: 50 million (Assumptions : Model S/X margin 25%, 30% margin Energy, model 3 margin 20%, Increased R&D and Sales expense)
Non GAAP Profit : 150 million
Cash flow from Operations : 1.1 billion (Model Y)

Tesla Q4 2018 Predictions

Model S/X : 29000 deliveries
Model 3 : 75000 deliveries (Production 90 k)
Energy revenue : 900 million (Increased contribution from Powerwall 2, Solar roof )
Revenue : 8.2 billion (6.2 + 0.5 + 0.9 + 0.6)
GAAP Profit: 300 million (Assumptions : Model S/X margin 25%, 30% margin Energy, model 3 margin 22% Increased R&D and Sales expense, Autonomous driving GA)
Non GAAP Profit: 550 million
Cash flow from Operations : 1.6 billion (Model Y)

In upcoming quarters model 3 deliveries and margin will be the wild card , but any miss on that will be offset by increased energy revenue, ZEV credits , Autonomous driving availability sometime in Q3 . Model Y , semi , roadster reservations, delayed model 3 supplier payments will continue to help cash flow. I expect Tesla to continue Model 3 ramp post Q2 to 10K which will be achieved by June 2019. December 2018 rate assumed to be 7.5K.

Why is cash flow from financing '0' ? If most of people use loans to lease or purchase? and Tesla is providing the loans by itself or partners? Is this negligible interest or can this add up to Millions? (just curious, non-finance guy here)

note. if rates are comparable, i plan to give my business to Tesla

It may be hard to exactly gauge if Tesla can sustain the March exit rate into April. Tesla for sure won't give us weekly update just to prove that last week in March isn't a fluke. So all we can go on is VIN assignment, registration and invites, but those are highly noisy, we can't really get within +/-500 on a weekly basis I suspect. So it may take a few weeks into April, or even early May Q1ER to get confirmation. I would take into account if playing TSLA price swing in April.
As the ramp progresses the statistical sampling should get better. Last week looked good, but we have a small number problem. A lot of cars, relatively, but a small number of days. Was that a batch push and then stop, or was this part of a steady ramp. If we see VIN 13xx this week, we start seeing a more solid sample size, more days and more cars. I have not done any formal statistics on the data gathered, but I would guess we have a large sampling error and a high chance of error.
The combination of data sources also helps. Registering VIN’s is a leading indicator, but meaningless without corresponding VIN assignments, which are not as valuable as recorded deliveries. They have registered 2000 this week, 1387 and 1088 the prior two weeks after mostly dry February. We are also seeing reports of VIN’s assigned to users in increasing numbers since the first week of March and more last week. Currently we only have about 2 weeks of VIN assignments reflecting a ramp. That could be a post plant update from Feb 20-24 batch bump. I think this is a real trend, but we do need two more weeks to prove that they didn’t just have a batch of batteries built up while Fremont was down and can really sustain this pace. If they are on track, and they maintain this weeks 2000 registration and VIN assignment rate through next week, I think the stock will start to outperform macros. I personally think they finally got it, but statistically I don’t think there is enough data to really know. I hope they can keep it up and get deliveries to at least 10k for the quarter and exit over 2000 a week. Over 2k per week and signaling they are on track to track toward 5k in Q2, I think we’ll finally be able to break out and they can finally start talking about plans for Semi and Y production.

Reactions: Waiting4M3
There will be some cash raised from financing but nothing I think of significance.I do not expect Tesla will need to raise capital going forward. Also I am assuming Tesla will stop Solar Panel Leasing from Q2 2018 onward with pick up in Solar roof. More than 50 % Solar panel revenue is coming from direct sales already.

Is it possible to conclude that the recent jump isn’t due to Grohmann lines starting to come online? If this is just the manuautolated line, are we looking at 5,000+ once 3x to 4x more efficient Grohmann lines are up and running?

Tesla said they expected the lines to arrive in March and ramp up in Q2 so it seems unlikely that they’re up and running already. Also, the recent ramp up seemed to begin after the Feb 20-24 shutdown so I assume it is with the existing battery production. Can’t be 100% sure that there is no contribution from the new line but I doubt it. Maybe they’ll add a short comment about status of the Grohmann battery line to the delivery update.

FWIW I don’t think installation of the Grohmann line means an instant leap to ~4K/week since the line apparently still needs to get ramped up and there are very likely other bottlenecks that will be identified and need to get worked out as production increases.

Tesla’s ability to meet its target of 2,500 per week by end of Q1 2018 is not dependent on the additional equipment that is currently located in Germany, as that equipment is expected to start ramping production during Q2 2018.

Tesla - Current Report

Last edited:

Tesla said they expected the lines to arrive in March and ramp up in Q2 so it seems unlikely that they’re up and running already. Also, the recent ramp up seemed to begin after the Feb 20-24 shutdown so I assume it is with the existing battery production. Can’t be 100% sure that there is no contribution from the new line but I doubt it. Maybe they’ll add a short comment about status of the Grohmann battery line to the delivery update.

FWIW I don’t think installation of the Grohmann line means an instant leap to 4K/week since the line apparently still needs to get ramped up and there are very likely other bottlenecks that will be identified and need to get worked out as production increases.

Tesla’s ability to meet its target of 2,500 per week by end of Q1 2018 is not dependent on the additional equipment that is currently located in Germany, as that equipment is expected to start ramping production during Q2 2018.

Tesla - Current Report

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. There may also be additional bottlenecks in Fremont as @Reciprocity pointed out.

I am hopeful that the ramp in Grohmann lines may be relatively smoother than the production hell of the last three quarters, as these lines were already "working" in Germany, and given potential bottlenecks in Fremont, I wonder if Tesla Energy may grow quicker than currently expected throughout 2018.

Reactions: EinSV
So did the market as a whole. Now it's sliding downwards with the market.

In the absence of any new news, barring the occasional drop when a hit piece is published or a spike when Elon says something, TSLA has generally followed the market up and down lately. This is expected of any general stock during a period without significant news events.

Tomorrow we're going to have that vote on Elon's compensation package though. It remains to be seen if investors will treat it as a significant event that should be traded on. I don't believe the stock will move much tomorrow one way or the other regardless because it has no effect on the company's performance in the short term.
I have found TSLA often moves somewhat independent of the general market. It certainly follows it at times but there are many days where it moves in the opposite direction of the market. Certainly when the market goes into correction mode, TSLA would be expected to follow in dramatic fashion.

They don't care about the mill, and will continue their normal information release schedule.
The less they say, the better (for them that is not us). No incentive for them to speak early.
For example, they say they are at 2,500. Then something happens, then they have to say they are not at 2,500.
May also be Elon making a big rain cloud...
Ford-KA-and-KA-Active-2018-new-car-SUV-914631.jpg

2018-ford-fiesta-official-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-673221-s-original.jpg

Ford has the Ka+ minicar and Ford Fiesta Subcompact. Right Hand Drive. In Europe the Fiesta has averaged 300k sales per year the last 5 years. Ford Ka+ sold 52k last year,mostly in the UK, and is on pace for over 60k units this year.

What is the point of spending money on advertising if you can't get your small cars into the country in a timely fashion at scale?

No non Japanese company has 4% plus market share in Japan like Toyota, Nissan, Honda, and Subaru have in the US.

Not VW,MB,BMW, Hyundai,GM,Ford, and not FCA. Not anyone. All just incompetent and don't know how to fill out the right paperwork or too stupid to run TV and Print commercials.

The Japanese government wants to piss on American car companies and tell them it is raining. Only someone with an IQ below 85 believes that.
So what kind of paperwork American car manufacturers don't know how to fill? I haven't seen them detailed in any documents at all. I would like to see them to learn about it. There's zero visibility within Japan that American companies having a hard time to adapt to Japanese regulations.

BTW
日本フォードの自動車ガイド|中古車ならグーネット
Ka was not introduced in Japanese market. Also the engine is too big for Kei car spec (up to 0.66 liter) so people would compare it to Kei cars and will avoid because tax is almost 8 times higher with over 1 liter engine. Fiesta was introduced but it was bigger size and in Japan it was classified as midsize (note: people compare to Kei cars). Thus it had higher annual registration tax. It's also wider than typical mechanical parking lot, so people can't park there.

I would recommend US automakers to show bad country specific, bureaucratic processes in public. Actually I believe US manufacturers including Tesla doesn't consider Japanese market requirements, especially size. That's OK, I believe that's their choice. To sell more cars in Japan, make it narrower. More than 50% of rich people with Merc S, BMW 7, Audi A8 or Maserati or whatever living in Tokyo can't park Model X in their condo.

Sorry for off topic. I'll end this here but I still would like to see the facts so please PM me if you are willing to spend a bit of time to teach me.

In coming months Tesla bear argument will move from can they produce Model 3 to can they produce with the gross margin when that will be also answered by Q4 2018 will move to valuation argument where Bears will pick Q4 GAAP Profit of 300 million and extrapolate to be 1.2 billion yearly profit and say how can one justify 70 billion valuation.

Here are my future Tesla predictions
Revenue : 45 billion (Model S/X 125k , Model 3 : 475K , Solar roof : 100K installations)
Non GAAP Proft : 4 billion (9%)

Revenue : 70 billion (Model S/X 125k , Model 3 : 500K , Model Y 300K Semi : 5K/10K Roadster : 2000 Solar roof : 150K installations)
Non GAAP Proft : 9 billion (12.5%)

Revenue : 125 billion (Model S/X 125k , Model 3 : 700K , Model Y 900K Semi : 50K Roadster : 10000 Solar roof : 250K installations)
Non GAAP Proft : 19 billion (15%)

Non GAAP Profit will continue to climb because of following reasons
R&D and sales/admin expense not going in proportion to Sales increase
Reduced cost of battery due to improved manufacturing, economies of scale and automation
Autonomous driving adding to margin (with 90% margin and 10k (6+4) price for activation if 1 million customers purchase Autonomous driving this alone will add to revenue of 10 billion with 9 billion of profit. Plus Tesla may start to charge this per mile opening up opportunity to earn though out life cycle of vehicle. )
Less capex for further expansion of production as indicated by
Supercharger n/w revenue helping cutting current losses (Tesla is charging it for model 3 , I expect Tesla to do this for S/X in near future )
So in 2022 with 20X of non GAAP Profit I expect Tesla valuation to be around 400 billion.

Just turning my imagination wild
By 2028 Tesla revenue to be 300 billion (225 billion Automotive + 50 billion Energy + 25 billion Tesla Ride sharing. 5 million cars S/X/3/Y/Semi/Pickup/Roadster/couple more products )
By 2033 Tesla revenue to be 500 billion (300 billion Automotive + 100 billion Energy + 100 billion Tesla Ride sharing. 7 million cars S/X/3/Y/Semi/Pickup/Roadster/couple more products , 1 million solar roofs )
In 2033 Non GAAP Profit will be 125 billion Ride sharing contributing more than 50% of it and huge upside potential further in mobility given the current Transportation market is 10 trillion dollars currently and in 15 years market will be even bigger. Further Tesla may enter other transportation areas boats, planes. There is possibility of Boaring company to be merged with Tesla just like solar city and adding more revenue opportunity.

Tesla will be biggest multi bagger of 21st century.

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. There may also be additional bottlenecks in Fremont as @Reciprocity pointed out.

I am hopeful that the ramp in Grohmann lines may be relatively smoother than the production hell of the last three quarters, as these lines were already "working" in Germany, and given potential bottlenecks in Fremont, I wonder if Tesla Energy may grow quicker than currently expected throughout 2018.

My only concern is that they specifically mentioned the conveyance system. Which is completely new or at least the giant towers at either end of the factory are new. One one hand, Its good that they seem to be using a system that is a known commodity, but this is Tesla and they tend to like to take things that exist and turn them up to 11 to meet their ambitious goals. Some things break when you turn them up to 11. I wouldnt be worried at all about if they had not mentioned it on the call as a specific bottleneck on the same level as the pack assembly machines. In a away, it was a worse problem because they have a working solution for the pack assembly that was coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.