Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla’s Computer Vision Master Plan – Trent Eady – Medium

This is a good (but not brief) review of Tesla’s use of passive vision (over Lidar) for autonomy. Trent gives context for Tesla’s effort to design its own microprocessor:

“...Also of importance is the Google researchers’ finding that “to fully exploit [very large data sets], one needs higher capacity (deeper)models.” A deeper neural network has more layers of artificial neurons. This finding is particularly interesting given that Tesla hired Jim Keller, a microprocessor engineer who previously worked at AMD and Apple, to design custom microprocessors for running deep neural networks. Just as GPUs allow cars,drones, and robots to run deep neural networks that would be infeasible to run in real time using CPUs, custom microprocessors can run much deeper neural networks that would be infeasible to run on GPUs. These deeper neural networks could, in theory, fully exploit much larger datasets...”

I wonder if M3 production will start back today? Wasn't the downtime defined as 3-5 days? So I guess the restart time could have been as early as yesterday, or as late as next Tuesday.

I was just about to ask the same question. I have a buddy who lives in Fremont and has a lot of friends who work at Tesla, and they told him they were projecting to be back to running on Friday, but he said he was told that on Monday, so not sure if line is back up today. Anyone have an update?

Retail Prices for Premium Gasoline

Gasoline prices across the country are surging. Why is Tesla assuming $2.70 per gallon when calculating "gasoline savings?" There is no state where premium gasoline sells at $2.70. Tesla can play this up to grow its used vehicle business.

At $4 per gallon, most people will rather buy a used Model S than a new 7 Series.
Few people buy premium gas and even fewer cars can utilize it.

really, bc all my past ICE cars over last 5-7 yrs before buying our Tesla's all recommended 91+ octane (here in TX is premium). I think most people would pump recommended octane level. There were a couple time traveling when I had to buy regular unleaded and my vehicle would take a hit in performance.

• Informative
Reactions: Waiting4M3
I'm thinking they'll hit 32k Model 3 production in Q2 and 60k Model 3 production in Q3. Deliveries maybe 28k and 55k. That should be something like 1.5 billion added revenue in Q2 and 3 billion added revenue in Q3 vs Q4 2017.

The big question is what the margins will be like.
For Q3, your numbers would result in a very rough total of $6B in revenue, assuming S/X/TE revenue doesn't change from Q3 2017 to keep things simple. This would be ~100% revenue growth over Q3 2017 ($2.9B). That's $24B annual revenue.

At today's SP that equates to roughly a 2/1 P/S ratio. That's awfully low for a company growing as fast as Tesla (WAY too low IMO), especially with Model 3 production increasing to 10K/week, Model Y and Semi coming up next. AMZN currently has a P/S of about 4 and growth has been in the 25-30% range.
Also really badly written, and full of spelling errors like "Toyota Carola" and "Jurventsen", not to mention selective facts.
really, bc all my past ICE cars over last 5-7 yrs before buying our Tesla's all recommended 91+ octane (here in TX is premium). I think most people would pump recommended octane level. There were a couple time traveling when I had to buy regular unleaded and my vehicle would take a hit in performance.

Yup both my tsx and frs recommend 91 octane

Reactions: KLC13
As others have pointed out, most premium cars require premium, “top tier” gasoline. Now your average joe with his 2000 Honda Civic doesn’t, he buys 87 octane, but he doesn’t buy Tesla vehicles anyhow. He might buy a used Nissan Leaf for $8,000 however. But since we’re talking people who could buy Tesla vehicles, they’re likely putting premium in their vehicles. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.