Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain why the panels are in north/south strips? I would have thought E-W rows pointing south with 39.5 degree incline would be better. Maybe they are actively tilted?
Active tilting and rotating east-west seems to make sense in this configuration.

Edit:

The panels may look like these, the ones installed in P.R. I wonder why they're tilted this way.

Tesla-Puerto-Rico-solar-batteries.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Active tilting and rotating east-west seems to make sense in this configuration.

Edit:

The panels may look like these, the ones installed in P.R. I wonder why they're tilted this way.

Tesla-Puerto-Rico-solar-batteries.jpg
Panels can be tilted that way for more even production as the sun moves across the sky. Total production will be lower, but instead of a big peak in production around noon, production is more even over all hours of the day.

An added benefit is that you get better utilization of the solar inverters, as they don't need to handle the peak around noon, but instead handle less power over more time.

So, basically, this way means you have:

- A higher panel cost per kWh
- A lower inverter cost per kWh
- Less efficient land use
- More stable, consistent power production

Panels can be tilted that way for more even production as the sun moves across the sky. Total production will be lower, but instead of a big peak in production around noon, production is more even over all hours of the day.

An added benefit is that you get better utilization of the solar inverters, as they don't need to handle the peak around noon, but instead handle less power over more time.
Thanks, that explains the north-south row configurations then.

Tesla Gigafactory 1 new aerial pictures tease facility's possible expansion

Tesla paved the new parking lot at the north side

Tesla-Gigafactory-1-new-parking-lot-1-e1524074228836-1024x714.jpg

Also a nice image of the new solar installation

Tesla-Gigafactory-1-Mar-2018-3-solar-panel-array.jpg
Any consensus if they need more room to support batteries for 10,000 cars a week? I think this cannsupport model 3 at 10k per week, which is about 30GW annual production. Is new space for more batteries or possibly for semi production?
The new lot definitely looks big enough to replace all current parking.

Thanks! So it is less efficient, but more useful. The increase in uniformity also reduces storage requirements due to peak spreading.

Crazy to think about the amount of power needed just to give the cells an initial charge...

Does this have to do with PRico being near the equator, i.e. Sun will be more overhead? In Northern Hemisphere in higher latitudes, we are taught that panels need to face south - but is this really true for places nearer to the equator? Just a thought,/curiosity else the above makes sense..

Does this have to do with PRico being near the equator, i.e. Sun will be more overhead? In Northern Hemisphere in higher latitudes, we are taught that panels need to face south - but is this really true for places nearer to the equator? Just a thought,/curiosity else the above makes sense..

Since Puerto Rico is well south of the Tropic of Cancer, during June and July the noon sun will be high in the northern sky, not the southern. In fact during those months the Sun will be in the northern half of the sky all day.

Last edited:

Good point, Puerto Rico is 18 degrees north latitude. The daily transit is a bigger factor than the inclination.
So true, @Curt Renz , it will get up to 5 degrees the other way.

The butterfly setup makes perfect sense there.

Status
Not open for further replies.