Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then show me the numbers.

Nothing against you, and I appreciate that you've been a long-time contributor here, but your argument sounds a lot like Tesla bears who want bottom-line profitability on historical financial statements to justify potential. As with production (and I'm increasingly realizing as with most things in life), these things move in an S-curve. First few followers lead to few dozen then to several hundred then to thousands and beyond. Same happened on Seeking Alpha, and same happening now on Twitter. To say that this is not having a world-changing impact now, so we should not try, is near sighted.

Reactions: SteveG3
I didn't say there is no misinformation campaign, just that your efforts on twitter have no impact. The numbers don't lie, I looked at your tweets as well, mostly single digit likes and retweets. No one is paying attention.

I beg to differ, in <36 hours, I was claimed to be a bot by three people, forced to verify myself by Twitter (due aforementioned people) and threatened with hacking (but only if I were a bot...). If you want to see impact, check the likes on the replies to the accounts. Vast majority will not be liking the pro-Tesla posts, but will like the rebuttals, thus showing visibility. Or look at view statistics.

I beg to differ, in <36 hours, I was claimed to be a bot by three people, forced to verify myself by Twitter (due aforementioned people) and threatened with hacking (but only if I were a bot...). If you want to see impact, check the likes on the replies to the accounts. Vast majority will not be liking the pro-Tesla posts, but will like the rebuttals, thus showing visibility. Or look at view statistics.
If some of you would like to share your analytics that would be helpful and convincing.

Reactions: RiverCard
Thanks to all you guys doing the work on Twitter. I am reading your posts and liking them. You may even be influencing some other closet Tesla fans on Twitter to come out of the closet. Great work, thanks! Sorry, I can't be more active, Twitter makes my 62 year old brain spin! I'll just stick to giving rides in my Teslas, loaning them out, and converting folks in person. We have an active EV group here who shows at any public events such as earth days etc. I've had at least a dozen riders buy Tesla's in the last 5 years. Probably much more, I just don;t always hear back.

Thanks to all you guys doing the work on Twitter. I am reading your posts and liking them. You may even be influencing some other closet Tesla fans on Twitter to come out of the closet. Great work, thanks! Sorry, I can't be more active, Twitter makes my 62 year old brain spin! I'll just stick to giving rides in my Teslas, loaning them out, and converting folks in person. We have an active EV group here who shows at any public events such as earth days etc. I've had at least a dozen riders buy Tesla's in the last 5 years. Probably much more, I just don;t always hear back.

Make yourself some info cards, referral bonuses are cool (so I hear...)

Reactions: gene
I've taken a small step on twitter and started following and reading a lot of VA's and Reciprocity's tweets. I don't know that I have it in me to fight those clowns, maybe I'll just retweet "what he/she said". No idea how to use the tweeter though.

I know that the misinformation campaign in the media absolutely works. Not once have I had someone new to Tesla that knows anything about the company start off a conversation without regurgitating the FUD. I then have to spend my time trying to help them understand what's going on.

On another note, wife saw two trucks full of 3's leaving the Bay Area East on 580 at 10:30 last night, moving them out at all hours.

Last edited:
The numbers don't lie, I looked at your tweets as well, mostly single digit likes and retweets. No one is paying attention.
Just a quick update, VA shared her daily impression stats and they are far higher than active engagement numbers, so views may be much higher than replies and retweets might suggest.

I could imagine that both X and S are continuously supply constraint. Every car that they produce can be sold and delivered. Given that its just a question how many they produce and Tesla decided to keep the production ratio between the two constant.
Shipping. Cars going overseas get there on boats. It would make sense that they are shipped together and would correlate. Not sure how accurate the diagram actually is, but Intl should be more correlated than USA

I've taken a small step on twitter and started following and reading a lot of VA's and Reciprocity's tweets. I don't know that I have it in me to fight those clowns, maybe I'll just retweet "what he/she said". No idea how to use the tweeter though.

I know that the misinformation campaign in the media absolutely works. Not once have I had someone new to Tesla that knows anything about the company start off a conversation without regurgitating the FUD. I then have to spend my time trying to help them understand what's going on.

On another note, wife saw two trucks full of 3's leaving the Bay Area East on 580 at 10:30 last night, moving them out at all hours.
I just replied to CNBC muckracking of Florida teen accident. Lora koladny defended accident coverage nationally because it was always covered locally. Complete bs answer. I’m reluctant at times to respond to some clickbait, but the story had a3 likes and retweets. The social media bears push the danger and zero meme everywhere they can.

CNBC on Twitter

I just replied to CNBC muckracking of Florida teen accident. Lora koladny defended accident coverage nationally because it was always covered locally. Complete bs answer. I’m reluctant at times to respond to some clickbait, but the story had a3 likes and retweets. The social media bears push the danger and zero meme everywhere they can.

CNBC on Twitter

Just liked your response. "Internet journalism" is disgusting.

I didn't say there is no misinformation campaign, just that your efforts on twitter have no impact. The numbers don't lie, I looked at your tweets as well, mostly single digit likes and retweets. No one is paying attention.
I think it can have a small impact. A few hundred active posters can counteract a few paid posters. If 100 amateurs force some of the antagonists to have to buy more social media support, that is a small victory. I’d say there is a hierarchy, with Elon getting a lot of followers and press from twitter. Below him are marquess brownlee and other big social media stars, and then electrek, insideevs and teslarati that all contribute to online brand health. The others try to spread a negative message and have some big followers and some pervasive media presence. I may only have a social media pea shooter, but collectively I think there is some helpful pushback. Likes and retweets of others, like Fred at electrek also help drive attitude and media coverage. They are following social media trends. If they think that positive Tesla news will sell and get traction, without tarnishing their brand, they’ll do it. Look at Dana hull. Formerly pro Tesla who has joined forces with Lora k in bashing Tesla.
Impact from me alone approaches zero, same as my vote in a general election. It only has meaning collectively.

Nothing against you, and I appreciate that you've been a long-time contributor here, but your argument sounds a lot like Tesla bears who want bottom-line profitability on historical financial statements to justify potential. As with production (and I'm increasingly realizing as with most things in life), these things move in an S-curve. First few followers lead to few dozen then to several hundred then to thousands and beyond. Same happened on Seeking Alpha, and same happening now on Twitter. To say that this is not having a world-changing impact now, so we should not try, is near sighted.
Last thought on topic, it beats taking our battle to twitter rather than passive bitching here. Poor me gripping and pointless fud hating was taking over the thread. Take the fight to the haters and talk about Tesla here.

CNBC on Twitter
This is exactly why Elon was so upset on the Q1 call. #STFUmedia

Last thought on topic, it beats taking our battle to twitter rather than passive bitching here. Poor me gripping and pointless fud hating was taking over the thread. Take the fight to the haters and talk about Tesla here.

Also important is: on Twitter, you are your own moderator. If you believe someone is purposefully misleading and using your platform to spread FUD, as opposed to simply misinformed as I believe the vast majority of bears/shorts are, then block the idiots.

Reactions: immunogold
At the end of the day its real simple. People are willing to pay for growth. They are willing to take risks on growth. They are not willing to take risks on companies growing at 3% a year with $150B in debt like Ford. They are all looking for the next $AAPL and $AMZN and they have found it.

It's actually worse than that.

Ford's revenue was $156b last year, It was $154b in..... 1998.
FORTUNE 500: 1998 Archive Full List 1-100
20 year CAGR of 0%.

GM was $178 billion in 1998, it's $145 billion twenty years later. CAGR of -1%.

Ford revenues will probably be flat since they are discontinuing all sedan/coupe sales other than the Mustang in North America.

I'd bet in 2028 GM and Ford will also have lower revenue than they do today too.

Tesla will be $20 billion this year, up 10x since 2013, and probably $30 billion next year. If they grow revenues at a slower/safer 25-30% pace, they'll pass $100 billion in revenue in 2024.

Status
Not open for further replies.