Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Legendary investor Jim Chanos to appear on CNNMoney's 'Markets Now'

Jim Chanos will be on today.

"Legendary" - is even CNN against Tesla now?

How did Chanos' "legendary" bet against China go?

There is a small chance, I think, that he may announce that he has covered his position. A lot of positives are stacking up for 2Q18/3Q18, and he may have used the recent 25% plunge to cover his position. I'm not saying that this is likely, but no one is talking about this possibility, and I wouldn't be surprised if it materialized.

There is a small chance, I think, that he may announce that he has closed his position. A lot of positives are stacking up for 2Q18/3Q18, and he may have used the recent 25% plunge to cover his position. I'm not saying that this is likely, but no one is talking about this possibility, and I wouldn't be surprised if it materialized.

I was thinking the same thing. He could easily save face if he said he covered at $250 for a profit. If he went long before the show, he would make money on the long side because the stock would undoubtedly go up when the market finds out he covered. It would be a smart way for him to extricate himself from Tesla. Lets see...

I was thinking the same thing. He could easily save face if he said he covered at $250 for a profit. If he went long before the show, he would make money on the long side because the stock would undoubtedly go up when the market finds out he covered.

He wouldn't go long Tesla; that would greatly diminish his credibility. I can see, however, him listing three things:

1. "Cult stock, unpredictable"
2. "Model 3 is an awful car, the believers are paying $55,000 for junk"
3. "Plunged 25%, I would have been stupid to not have cashed in on a great short"

Something along those lines...

Last edited:
He wouldn't go long Tesla; that would greatly diminish his credibility. I can see, however, him listing three things:

1. "Cult stock, unpredictable"
2. "Model 3 is an awful car, but the believers are paying $55,000 for junk"
3. "Plunged 25% in a matter of days, so I would have been stupid to have not taken the opportunity."

Something along those lines...

He doesn't have to disclose that we went long...right? That would leave his credibility intact.

There is a small chance, I think, that he may announce that he has covered his position. A lot of positives are stacking up for 2Q18/3Q18, and he may have used the recent 25% plunge to cover his position. I'm not saying that this is likely, but no one is talking about this possibility, and I wouldn't be surprised if it materialized.

My guess is that is a VERY small chance. The situation has not changed materially enough for Chanos to reverse course. His celebrity allows him air time which he will try to use to make it harder for Tesla to raise cash later this year.

Elon will not have issues raising cash once Model 3 is ramping closer to 5k a week despite the chirping from those short the stock.

Reactions: MacRocket
My guess is that is a VERY small chance. The situation has not changed materially enough for Chanos to reverse course. His celebrity allows him air time which he will try to use to make it harder for Tesla to raise cash later this year.

Elon will not have issues raising cash once Model 3 is ramping closer to 5k a week despite the chirps from those short the stock.

Chanos is motivated. He is not dumb. He outperformed the market, and he knows the chuchu is coming.

Those who think Chanos' goal is to "make it harder for Tesla to raise cash" may be misreading the incentive map.

Attachments

• A0AF085C-10BF-4148-ABC2-50E6CF48CAE4.png
    A0AF085C-10BF-4148-ABC2-50E6CF48CAE4.png
    323.9 KB · Views: 47
I was thinking the same thing. He could easily save face if he said he covered at $250 for a profit. If he went long before the show, he would make money on the long side because the stock would undoubtedly go up when the market finds out he covered. It would be a smart way for him to extricate himself from Tesla. Lets see...

The hedge fund industry is a scam. Lots of scammers joined this field. Chanos is good at promoting himself. Other than that, he is a dumb guy.

If you look at the recent years, Chanos is fundamentally wrong shorting BABA, CAT, and China. All went up significantly. If he accept failure and quit shorting TSLA, his career is over. I would guess he has been increasing his short position on TSLA.

I expect he would say the same things: management quitting, funny book keeping, large debt, losing money on expensive cars, will lose more on cheaper cars, competition coming... However, this time he will not say Elon will quit in 2 years.

His goal is not to explain why he is shorting. His goal is to convince everyone that Tesla will bankrupt, so TSLA will have a hard time to raise money when they need to.

The hedge fund industry is a scam. Lots of scammers joined this field. Chanos is good at promoting himself. Other than that, he is a dumb guy.

If you look at the recent years, Chanos is fundamentally wrong shorting BABA, CAT, and China. All went up significantly. If he accept failure and quit shorting TSLA, his career is over. I would guess he has been increasing his short position on TSLA.

I expect he would say the same things: management quitting, funny book keeping, large debt, losing money on expensive cars, will lose more on cheaper cars, competition coming... However, this time he will not say Elon will quit in 2 years.

His goal is not to explain why he is shorting. His goal is to convince everyone that Tesla will bankrupt, so TSLA will have a hard time to raise money when they need to.

IMO he'll attack on 3 points :

- Non existent business model : lose money on each cars sold no matter if the ramp goes well or not
- The ramp difficulties put pressure on cashflow. Need more capital.
- CEO is not serious, autopilot is unreliable (death) yet they keep pushing it.

For the Sake of Investors, Tesla CEO Elon Musk Needs to Be Quiet on Twitter
For the Sake of Investors, Tesla CEO Elon Musk Needs to Be Quiet on Twitter
While the world gets ready for another grilling of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg from U.S. lawmakers, it's Tesla CEO Elon Musk that needs to get blasted.

Looks like EM tweets is not helping the Shorts spread false propaganda unchecked.

(Just thought headline was funny, i didn't read the rest of garbage)

Status
Not open for further replies.