Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I think you have it backwards. You can put a higher octane gas in cars that only require 87, but many cars these days are requiring 91 - in those cases you can't use 89 or 87 octane. And there are many people who only require 87 octance who will occasionally run higher octane gas because they believe it will clean their engine due to higher level of detergents (not so sure I believe that).

Here's a list of cars between 2011 and 2017 that require premium gas.

Cars Requiring Premium Fuel
Absolutely I would hardly call 11% a majority. The vast number of people buy regular.

As others have pointed out, most premium cars require premium, “top tier” gasoline. Now your average joe with his 2000 Honda Civic doesn’t, he buys 87 octane, but he doesn’t buy Tesla vehicles anyhow. He might buy a used Nissan Leaf for $8,000 however. But since we’re talking people who could buy Tesla vehicles, they’re likely putting premium in their vehicles. :)
I have two Tesla’s and bought regular in my preTesla days.

recommended reading, or at least glancing through (not kidding), some very interesting background

Fear, uncertainty and doubt - Wikipedia

I thought FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) was a term coined in light of political attack ads. Turns out, it first became widely used to describe campaigns by computer hardware and software incumbents (i.e, IBM, Microsoft) to try to avoid new products from smaller companies from gaining sales.

I also very much like the alternative definition of FUD, Fear, Uncertainty and Disinformation.

I'm too lazy to document, but the tactic without the label, goes back millennia in politics and military operations. There is another useful phrase common about intelligence operations intended as FUD. Blowback which we find here a lot.

Edit: Example, Ike's effort to spread uncertainty of where the cross channel attack would end up landing in France.

Last edited:
I am generally a very measured person, but every time a read BS like this I feel more and more angry. Well, it looks like FUD is turning me in a Tesla fanboy...
I really hope a good chunk of readers feels the same with time.
May your BS bite you in your youknowwhat, FUDsters !!
Anyone interested in fighting FUD by researching and refuting FUD articles with facts, shoot me a PM. I have something in the works that I will work on his weekend and intend on launching by Monday.

As others have pointed out, most premium cars require premium, “top tier” gasoline. Now your average joe with his 2000 Honda Civic doesn’t, he buys 87 octane, but he doesn’t buy Tesla vehicles anyhow. He might buy a used Nissan Leaf for $8,000 however. But since we’re talking people who could buy Tesla vehicles, they’re likely putting premium in their vehicles. :)
Well I never owned a "premium" car before my Tesla, and I never used anything but regular. Now I have two Teslas and I'll be getting a third . I don't think your assumptions are good.

Here's an interesting take on global warming and it's implication for the fate of our civilization.

Was There a Civilization On Earth Before Humans?

Here's their bottom line to a unique scientific question that leads to practical results.

"By asking about civilizations lost in deep time, we’re also asking about the possibility for universal rules guiding the evolution of all biospheres in all their creative potential, including the emergence of civilizations. Even without pickup-driving Paleocenians, we’re only now learning to see how rich that potential might be."

Last edited:
Reactions: Icer and neroden
Fox Business Network - today with Gene Munster:

It is ironic that the headline is about Elon being too busy when the main stories were Gene's belief that Tesla will get through the Model 3 ramp, his explanation that despite all the hoopla this week, shutdowns are a normal part of the ramp and are built into his financial model, and his thesis Tesla has one of the best upsides of any large cap tech stocks over the next five years.

A very positive story overall with the most negative possible headline.:rolleyes:

Why in the F is it national news that someone was injured while working in a manufacturing plant. I would guess that this happens about 1000 times per day in the US and people in China literally throw themselves out of the window to not have to work on Iphones anymore. Why is it national news when a fairly minor injury happens in Fremont. Because no one is ever injured working in a manufacturing facility because there is yellow tape that stops them being hurt and Elon hates yellow tape. Duh, everyone knows that. Its like a death gauntlet in Fremont, I am really shocked that they even let people take tours without being in an M1 Abrams tank.

Why in the F is it national news that someone was injured while working in a manufacturing plant. I would guess that this happens about 1000 times per day in the US and people in China literally throw themselves out of the window to not have to work on Iphones anymore. Why is it national news when a fairly minor injury happens in Fremont. Because no one is ever injured working in a manufacturing facility because there is yellow tape that stops them being hurt and Elon hates yellow tape. Duh, everyone knows that. Its like a death gauntlet in Fremont, I am really shocked that they even let people take tours without being in an M1 Abrams tank.

Captain Obvious answer: Put Tesla with a negative connotation headline and you get: 'Clicks'. "Clicks=$"....Welcome to our new world.

It is ironic that the headline is about Elon being too busy when the main stories were Gene's belief that Tesla will get through the Model 3 ramp, his explanation that despite all the hoopla this week, shutdowns are a normal part of the ramp and are built into his financial model, and his thesis Tesla has one of the best upsides of any large cap tech stocks over the next five years.

A very positive story overall with the most negative possible headline.:rolleyes:

I noticed that too, and it almost made me hesitant to post the video. A part of the problem is that the YouTube title cut short the full title. As we've noted here before, when a headline ends with a question mark, the answer is almost invariably "No". The news alert tag "Trouble at Tesla", and Varney referring to "serious financial trouble" were even worse. Nevertheless, he offered high praise for Tesla cars. Of course Varney's production team may have assumed he wanted the YouTube title to have a negative slant, especially since Elon being CEO of more than one company was the one negative concern from Varney which Munster did not take issue.

Lately Elon has been providing high praise for SpaceX President and COO Gwynne Shotwell. I would not be surprised if we soon hear that she has been made CEO. Forbes lists her as the 76th most powerful woman in the world. Like Gene Munster, I would welcome Elon becoming a virtually full-time CEO of Tesla.

Gwynne Shotwell - Wikipedia

Last edited:
SA has mostly FUD and supporters in comment who may be paid FUDsters. However, here's something well written and well organized and much clearer for a general audience. It covers almost all of the advantages of Tesla with brief mention of macro threat to financing, etc. Nothing new to us but an honest sales pitch. Does not include AI advantage; probably included in "other advantages."

Tesla: Economies Of Scale - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

Recommend to your doubting friends, if needed.

Reactions: Drax7 and Icer
Just to ad to our worries:

GDPR Kills the American Internet: Long Live the Internet! - I, Cringely

I'm not sure this would complicate Tesla's communication with EU products. Perhaps some of you software nerds can explain if there's an easy workaround if Cringely's fears are realized.

Nah, don't worry about it at all. My company is going through the process of adapting to GDPR atm and it's really just mostly bureaucracy mixed with some common sense and good practices. Mostly around informing users about what's happening with their data and giving them control over that data, mainly in a form of giving consent to process it by your company.

Not sure what the article author is on about but it's a non-issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.