Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interior and Exterior are obvious, as is Electronics. Is "Hochvolt-Antriebs-batterie" high voltage battery, and "Hochvolt-Antrieb" high voltage? I can't guess what Karosserie or Fahrwerk are...

Love to give German lessons! ;-) just kidding.

all correct you say above:

Hochvolt Antrieb - high voltage drive train or power unit
Karosserie - Body
Fahrwerk - chassis frame

All of those numbers are % age of material costs only

Thought as your nick is Bio Sehnsucht you speak German....

Can someone comment on that statement from Barra ? If true would be quite an achievement.

Reducing costs of both cells and packs
Barra said that GM expects its battery cell cost to fall from $145 per kilowatt-hour (kWh) today in the Chevy Bolt, to less than $100 per kWh with the new platform.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Can't believe I haven't seen it mentioned yet - but Elon included in a Twitter reply earlier today "Turning on production for Model 3 Performance version.". Previously, he indicated they would start production once they reached the 5000/week threshold. Was that a not-so-subtle indicator of post-upgrade ramp progress? ;)
No (history indicates)

Reactions: neroden
Love to give German lessons! ;-) just kidding.

all correct you say above:

Hochvolt Antrieb - high voltage drive train or power unit
Karosserie - Body
Fahrwerk - chassis frame

All of those numbers are % age of material costs only

Thought as your nick is Bio Sehnsucht you speak German....

Thanks for the explanation!

Not the first person to assume I speak German, but I don't :) I was into Rammstein in high school, and I've kept the same handle since then...

Nice pics of Model 3 production line Businessweek - Bloomberg

Model 3 tear down in Germany:

I got hold of the printed version from Wirtschaftswoche and found some interesting additional information it:

Engineer-team Markus Wiederstein & Polaris Partner
  • De assembled into 500 units
  • 4 OEM did purchase a Model 3 each in the last week. They mention following cities which are the HQ of Daimler, VW, Audi, BMW
  • They phrase it like, they got hold of a few engineers who teared down a Model 3 in assignment of a German competition
  • The electric drive train beats all from Elon promised specifications
  • Quote:" The power unit is well thought through, compact, well integrated in the chassi, und light. It won't be easy for competitor to build a equal drive train."
  • The Body represents only 10% of material costs
  • Impressed about building units that are designed in a way that robots can hold them well at final assembly
  • 100 battery module in sequence or parallel connected each out of 40-46 cells
  • Battery with 75 kWh , 4416 Cells,
Cost Break Down:

View attachment 307870

Some amazing information about M3 production and design. Sentiment has changed drastically recently. M3 has raised the bar for the world.

Wasn't it started in the 30's? SEC act? Maybe it's just that financial "news" tv shows and the internet have made them much more visible?
come on people - learn to use internet search try

SEC history

"The Securities Exchange Act of 1934 Thus, Congress passed The Securities Act of 1933 and The Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (which created the SEC) in an effort to restore confidence in the markets. ... Congress established the SEC to enforce these laws for the sake of the investors and the future of market stability"

You'll get many articles from the SEC history search.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and hobbes
read GM claims - from Nov 15, 2017 - talking the talk - can they execute? buy back 25%? why not battery factories??

https://www.gm.com/content/dam/gm/events/docs/5265845-684463-Chartset-11-15-2017

Please only comment after reading the above paper. later.

I read the doc. Thanks. There's a full vision there. I give them credit for that. I also think they are showing a decent hand when it comes to autonomous vehicles. But I think you have zeroed right in on the issue. Billions in buy backs? That happens when execs can't think of a better way to invest for the future. And in the midst of a transition which, by all accounts (cf. not just Tesla but also VW), should cost tens of billions? Hmm... Something doesn't fit. There's a hesitancy to put their money where their mouth is, presumably because the transition will endanger existing revenues, as many on this thread have suggested before. I think there's a challenge in managing the transition that their brave face isn't acknowledging.

Best to avoid Schadenfreude. I wish them well. But there's still a reason I'm not cashing in my TSLA stock to buy GM stock...

Yet more evidence Elon hates the color yellow:
1200x-1.jpg
Obviously he sent a team in with yellow spray cans after that article came out.

David Friedman, director of Cars and Product Policy and Analysis for Consumers Union, the advocacy arm of Consumer Reports, said the NTSB's "alarming report reinforces why Tesla must respond immediately to previous concerns raised about its driver-assist system."

Auto death rates up -
2014 32,744
11px-Decrease_Positive.svg.png
-0.9% (lowest ever I think)
2015 35,485
11px-Increase_Negative.svg.png
10.5%
2016 37,461
11px-Increase_Negative.svg.png
5.6%
2017 40,000 ??

And what, this David Friedman, director of Cars and Product Policy and Analysis for Consumers Union thinks it must be Tesla is the biggest problem here?? WTF about 15,000 extra deaths since 2014 and he picks on a Tesla accident?? Just what the H is going on??

I think David "must respond immediately" as to what this advocacy arm of Consumer Reports is doing about these extra ~15,000 deaths?
Go after one of the world's safest cars?? WTF -

read GM claims - from Nov 15, 2017 - talking the talk - can they execute? buy back 25%? why not battery factories??

https://www.gm.com/content/dam/gm/events/docs/5265845-684463-Chartset-11-15-2017

Please only comment after reading the above paper. later.

That's enlightening. Especially this part (page 7):
IMPROVED RESULTS SUPPORT SIGNIFICANT CASH RETURN TO SHAREHOLDERS:
- $25B RETURNED (through dividends and repurchases)
- Repurchased >25% OF SHARES OUTSTANDING
- Returned >90% OF ADJ.-AUTOMOTIVE FCF

They've paid out ~$535million in dividends each quarter in 2016-2017 (up til that report), meaning they've paid out ~$2.1 billion in dividends. So they spent almost $23 billion to buy back ~$15Billion worth of stock ($20 billion if they bought back 33% of outstanding shares). I know that the exact dollar amounts aren't correct (since shares outstanding declined from 2016 to 2017), but it doesn't look like a good investment no matter how the numbers are fudged.

Status
Not open for further replies.