Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bots caught in the act posting the same exact tweets under different accounts
28_delays_later on Twitter
Not shocked in the least seeing this kind of thing. It is nice to see actual evidence come up.

I searched the phrase in the post, "nary a knob in sight" on Twitter. And there are actually 10 accounts that posted the exact same post.

Search Twitter - Nary a knob in sight

Edit: So this is very interesting. At the end of every post, is an individual website link to the profile of each of those Twitter users, sharing this same article. All of them are a redirect from advisor stream. Advisorstream.com

And it is a repost of a Geoffrey A. Fowler article from the Washington Post.

Not sure what to make of it yet, but might not be bots.

Last edited:
false, you can recall your shares, they’re yours. you may have to unenroll from a fully paid lending program, depending on broker, but you can recall them. i just unenrolled and recalled mine last week.

anyway, it’s true if you recalled them, the short can find another locate (muscial chairs). but as liquidity dries up, as all games of musical chairs end....

If your shares are loaned out and you have an active margin account you can't recall them. You would have to close out your margin balance for them to be recalled.

If your shares are loaned out and you have an active margin account you can't recall them. You would have to close out your margin balance for them to be recalled.
There's common wisdom that says placing a sell order for the stock at some way-out-of-the-money price causes them to be recalled. I don't know whether that's true or not. But I do know one thing that works, at least at ETrade... open a new trading account without margin, and transfer the stock into it. It happens almost instantly. I did it for Solar City back when.

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden and MP3Mike
China GF seems to be moving ahead (via reddit):
Twitter

The Shanghai government will fully assist Tesla to build Gigafactory in China
Shanghai Lingang and put it into production as soon as possible.

On the other hand, several China's largest banks are actively negotiating with the Shanghai gov to provide partial financing support for Tesla's factory in Shanghai.

You should also read the OP follow up tweets and discussion, more confirmations there.

There's common wisdom that says placing a sell order for the stock at some way-out-of-the-money price causes them to be recalled. I don't know whether that's true or not. But I do know one thing that works, at least at ETrade... open a new trading account without margin, and transfer the stock into it. It happens almost instantly. I did it for Solar City back when.

I called fidelity to see if I could place a sell order for more than 50% than current price on a self-directed rollover IRA and for a separate account holding common shares...no can do!

I called Schwab and they DO allow you to set a Sell price for at least 200% over current share price. I am transferring part of both those accounts from Fidelity to Schwab in the event that "The short squeeze of the Century" does take place. I am just hoping that we will be able to Add to our Private accounts once we know what will be. The broker at Schwab said it takes 5 business days to transfer once you have an account set up. Hope this helps someone else who holds TSLA at Fidelity.

GGR, are you saying it is quicker to do this with ETrade? I already have an account with Schwab, nothing with ETrade.

• Helpful
Reactions: jbih
I called fidelity to see if I could place a sell order for more than 50% than current price on a self-directed rollover IRA and for a separate account holding common shares...no can do!

I called Schwab and they DO allow you to set a Sell price for at least 200% over current share price. I am transferring part of both those accounts from Fidelity to Schwab in the event that "The short squeeze of the Century" does take place. I am just hoping that we will be able to Add to our Private accounts once we know what will be. The broker at Schwab said it takes 5 business days to transfer once you have an account set up. Hope this helps someone else who holds TSLA at Fidelity.

GGR, are you saying it is quicker to do this with ETrade? I already have an account with Schwab, nothing with ETrade.
As an existing ETrade customer, I can literally open a new account online and it's up and running the next day. The transfer (internal) happens overnight. But I have no idea how long it would take if I wasn't an existing customer; ISTR having to mail paper to them from Australia when it was first set up.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden

correct, thanks...it’s important for people to understand the difference between shares that you fully paid for, and shares you purchase using broker-extended margin.

the broker can lend your margin shares to the excess of what they must segregate amongst all their customers positions for each security at dtcc. any “free excess” position may be lent or pledged.
these seg calculations are usually run and re-posted daily at dtcc by brokers.

your fully paid shares, if opted into a lending program with broker (you must do this because they need “permission” to lend your fully paid shares, otherwise they must segregate them from the margin population). these, when lent, can be recalled by the shareholder.

Reactions: neroden and MikeC
Well, there's certainly more searches on Tesla this month.

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 8.49.45 AM.png

I hear a lot about culture decay and losing identity and many opinions on developing culture and so forth.

I think what all these social experts don’t get is that long term culture can’t be manufactured.

Long term culture springs from a common “ether” experienced my many. That ether is actually a really really big idea that crosses all industry and business to a broad ethos that is directional in nature, but not defined.

I think Elon/Tesla have become front and center in this emerging cultural ethos.

Its the reason people are on long waiting lists to buy their cars. It’s why individuals are “buying up” to get one of their cars.

Its exactly why Tesla is able to sell out flamethrowers, surfboards, and yes... soon to be short shorts.

This is my definition of a long term culture emerging.

Now it’s a matter of quickly this culture takes hold in remolding our current economy more broadly. Bumpy and uncertain in transition, yes, but it is happening and seeming no turning back as this is not a fad, but actual cultural shift under the madness of today.

Well, there's certainly more searches on Tesla this month.

View attachment 325168

IMO that's a bad thing: most of the press coverage is pretty negative (Elon's crazy, SEC investigating the fraud, board got no info from Elon and is sand bagging, etc).

Compared to this FUD, very few have heard about the Model 3 (the good review, the actual ramp, etc). That's another reason why going private will help the company and refocus the public on EVs, the energy transition and other tangible, real-world things that matter.

IMO that's a bad thing: most of the press coverage is pretty negative (Elon's crazy, SEC investigating the fraud, board got no info from Elon and is sand bagging, etc).

Compared to this FUD, very few have heard about the Model 3 (the good review, the actual ramp, etc). That's another reason why going private will help the company and refocus the public on EVs, the energy transition and other tangible, real-world things that matter.
Search traffic may lead to more test drives. More test drives have led to more sales.

Interest in learning more about Tesla is the key. Even short traders buy Teslas, so good or bad, internet search exposure is good. Many big corps pay millions for a fraction of Elon’s consumer interest traction he’s creating right now.

As many have said, these car sell themselves once in the seat.

I hear a lot about culture decay and losing identity and many opinions on developing culture and so forth.

I think what all these social experts don’t get is that long term culture can’t be manufactured.

Long term culture springs from a common “ether” experienced my many. That ether is actually a really really big idea that crosses all industry and business to a broad ethos that is directional in nature, but not defined.

I think Elon/Tesla have become front and center in this emerging cultural ethos.

Its the reason people are on long waiting lists to buy their cars. It’s why individuals are “buying up” to get one of their cars.

Its exactly why Tesla is able to sell out flamethrowers, surfboards, and yes... soon to be short shorts.

This is my definition of a long term culture emerging.

Now it’s a matter of quickly this culture takes hold in remolding our current economy more broadly. Bumpy and uncertain in transition, yes, but it is happening and seeming no turning back as this is not a fad, but actual cultural shift under the madness of today.
im not sure where i saw this before, but note as we get closer to "now" change occurs more rapidly, vaguely like "log phase biological growth", straight up till almost 100% acceptance
is this a vision of the emerging cultural ethos perhaps. now that technology has advanced enough to realize visions?
upload_2018-8-12_12-42-32.png

The 100-Year March of Technology in 1 Graph - The Atlantic

Search traffic may lead to more test drives. More test drives have led to more sales.

Interest in learning more about Tesla is the key. Even short traders buy Teslas, so good or bad, internet search exposure is good. Many big corps pay millions for a fraction of Elon’s consumer interest traction he’s creating right now.

Yep, agreed - bad publicity is good publicity. At least people will think about Tesla as a company rather than not know about it at all. Some will stop there, others will get curious, some will look at the car, a fraction will purchase...but, undoubtedly, there'll be more people purchasing than 0.

Reactions: Foghat

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that people are searching for Tesla. I'm saying it's not the good time for them to search for Tesla because the top Google search results have been pretty negative in the past few weeks. All the shitty FUD is probably not pushing the public to sign up for a test drive.

Do a quick search (in incognito mode so that the results aren't personalized), click a few of the top results and tell me if you'd want to do a test drive or wait for the bullshit to come down.

I've been following Tesla for years (in Paris, France) and the ignorance is incredible. People hear a few things and believe that the headlines must be right (somewhat). Yes, it's great that people try to inform themselves but I'd rather know that they're looking to learn about the company in another context.

That's why I can't wait for short to go bankwupt.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that people are searching for Tesla. I'm saying it's not the good time for them to search for Tesla because the top Google search results have been pretty negative in the past few weeks. All the shitty FUD is probably not pushing the public to sign up for a test drive.

Do a quick search (in incognito mode so that the results aren't personalized), click a few of the top results and tell me if you'd want to do a test drive or wait for the bullshit to come down.

I've been following Tesla for years (in Paris, France) and the ignorance is incredible. People hear a few things and believe that the headlines must be right (somewhat). Yes, it's great that people try to inform themselves but I'd rather know that they're looking to learn about the company in another context.

That's why I can't wait for short to go bankwupt.
The interesting study would be how many people actually pay attention to legacy media? How many comsumers actually believe the opposite of what they read in legacy media about this topic?

If sales continue to rise, then we may have an indication to which answer to these questions is more supported.

Reactions: Manton
The interesting study would be how many people actually pay attention to legacy media? How many comsumers actually believe the opposite of what they read in legacy media about this topic?

If sales continue to rise, then we may have an indication to which answer to these questions is more supported.
Do you talk to people that don't know *sugar* about Tesla? What do they say?

Edit: listen to this podcast, starting at 00:14:00
My family invested in Tesla two years ago and have started believing the FUD. My friends who don't follow the news only knows about the bad things that happen to Tesla or Musk. But the best educated friends also can't trust Musk anymore because of all the BS they're hearing (even one who work at the business desk of AFP!).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.