Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks for posting this. I am surprised there has not been more discussion of Tesla's FSD/AI chip, which seems to be a major advance over the rest of the industry.

The market seems to ignore anything Tesla-related until it is literally staring them in the face or beating them over the head.

Tesla has developed an autonomous chip that is at least 3 years ahead of any other automotive manufacturer.1 Musk explained, "whereas the current Nvidia hardware can do 200 frames a second, this is able to do over 2,000 frames a second and with full redundancy and fail-over.” Tesla is currently using an Nvidia chip with 12 teraflops of performance. A tenfold improvement would suggest Tesla’s chip has roughly 120 teraflops of performance. Nvidia’s Xavier chip, which is currently sampling and likely won’t be installed into vehicles until late 2019, has roughly 30 teraflops of performance. In other words, traditional automakers have committed to a chip with inferior specs, and will likely have to wait for Nvidia’s next autonomous product before they can have a processing system comparable to the system Tesla is testing today.

Last edited:
Earlier I reported a conversation with Nathan by a general call to Schwab concerning ownership of TSLAP in IRAs with a positive answer concerning no impediment due to Schwab for non-accredited customers having such a restriction on ownership. Later another Schwab customer here was informed such ownership of private shares was not permitted in IRAs. No new information from me, but I think I framed the question poorly by restricting it to a Schwab policy. Now that I think of it I can imagine the USG restrictions may ultimately exist to preserve or insist on enforcing the rules about tax-free status so a cash out requirement may be needed for IRAs. Perhaps you smart guys got this already. Sorry I got my own hopes and perhaps others based on false information.

FWIW had today a long conversation with our wealth manager about TSLA. As usual he would be happy about liquidation of TSLA at $420 since we have almost 50% of portfolio and investing in short term corporate bonds instead. Why? Because with rising interest rates, inflation, and longevity of this market, he expects we are due for a correction. I agree about a correction and expect it might be earlier than expected as soon as the sugar-high of the corporate tax cuts and stock-buybacks run their course. He has stern warning not to sell Tesla and any decision about selling other stocks to purchase our M3 awaits developments.

Really? I must have been sleep walking. Please show me one of these posts where I doubted Musk. Should be easy to do since I've been "saying stuff like this all along".
I don't know Musk is like a double edged sword. We have to have him there because he does a great job with the engineering and car building and STAR power (which is powerful) but some of his comments lately have been off or just unnecessary. Not to list fud....but the pedo thing was immature as was the earnings call in Q1. Just wish he could chill a little more on this public commentary. With power comes responsiviresp as they say.

Tesla issues a boring, mundane, everyday Form 3 for David H Morton, Jr, the newly-hired Chief Accounting Officer, to the Securities and Exchange Commission. It's a boilerplate document. Nothing to see here. SEC Filing | Tesla, Inc.

Therefore, I predict the following scary media headlines within the next 24 hours:

• Yahoo!Finance: [Editor's Pick] Tesla Issues Document to SEC, Claiming "Compliance"

• SeekingAlpha: Tesla's Attorneys Have Limited Power, Company Admits in New SEC Document

• Forbes: Tesla's New Chief Accounting Officer Hides Stock Ownership Information from SEC

• New York Times: Any Minute Elon Will Tweet Something About This New SEC Form 3

• CNBC: Time To Sell? Tesla Submits Potentially Damaging Document to SEC

• Reuters: Tesla Submits Document To SEC, After Receiving Subpoena

• Wall Street Journal: New Tesla Chief Accounting Officer Under Investigation by SEC

• Vox: Everything You Need to Know About Tesla's Latest Document Submitted to the SEC

• Martin Tripp: I Found 24 Early Draft's Of Morton's Bogus SEC Form 3 In the Dumpster (Pics!)

• FOX News: New Investigation Launching on Hillary's Emails

Earlier I reported a conversation with Nathan by a general call to Schwab concerning ownership of TSLAP in IRAs with a positive answer concerning no impediment due to Schwab for non-accredited customers having such a restriction on ownership. Later another Schwab customer here was informed such ownership of private shares was not permitted in IRAs. No new information from me, but I think I framed the question poorly by restricting it to a Schwab policy. Now that I think of it I can imagine the USG restrictions may ultimately exist to preserve or insist on enforcing the rules about tax-free status so a cash out requirement may be needed for IRAs. Perhaps you smart guys got this already. Sorry I got my own hopes and perhaps others based on false information.

FWIW had today a long conversation with our wealth manager about TSLA. As usual he would be happy about liquidation of TSLA at $420 since we have almost 50% of portfolio and investing in short term corporate bonds instead. Why? Because with rising interest rates, inflation, and longevity of this market, he expects we are due for a correction. I agree about a correction and expect it might be earlier than expected as soon as the sugar-high of the corporate tax cuts and stock-buybacks run their course. He has stern warning not to sell Tesla and any decision about selling other stocks to purchase our M3 awaits developments.
Wondered about that too.Maybe there is some workaround in the going private scenario where people already own the shares but are not accredited can keep them, I recall reading about people like Mitt Romney that have private companies in their IRA but I'm not sure what logistics that requires. Now can Schwab or other discount brokers hold private shares? Not currently as I understand it, you'd have to use Sharespost or something and I'm not sure if they do IRAs. But like many things Tesla, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up setting some new precedent.

I found Gene’s comments, in regard to Tesla being private, about how much better Tesla could perform by not focusing on current Model 3 production and zeroing in completely on revolutionizing the manufacturing process instead, very fascinating.

I guess I appreciate the FUD keeping the price down to give me time to add to my position.

True, but it makes me angry that it allows the shorts responsible to escape with less loss.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Wondered about that too.Maybe there is some workaround in the going private scenario where people already own the shares but are not accredited can keep them, I recall reading about people like Mitt Romney that have private companies in their IRA but I'm not sure what logistics that requires. Now can Schwab or other discount brokers hold private shares? Not currently as I understand it, you'd have to use Sharespost or something and I'm not sure if they do IRAs. But like many things Tesla, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up setting some new precedent.

In Romney's case the work-around is being an accredited investor since he is a multi-millionaire. I would like that option too, but it requires TSLA going to $2,000 a share. I expect to see that, hopefully within the next two years or so. But I may not live that long.

Interesting that they came to a different conclusion than Munro.

Wonder who’s right?
Those with a negative view of Tesla just can't [won't?] understand the very basic strategy from the very beginning of Tesla.

Start with expensive cars (sports car) to show benefits in performance to those buyers that care and can afford to pay.
Develop the technologies/manufacturing/supply chains to increase volume, decrease cost and offer lower priced sedans.
Repeat to next step down to make "an averaged" priced $35k sedan. Sell fully optioned versions to maximize profits.
When volumes are sufficient you can "afford" to offer the "stipped down" version which will be better than any other $35k offering.

So far 2010-2017 Tesla TOTAL R&D <$4.3 billion they can't believe that either - verify for yourself isn't google wonderful?
And it seems none can read SEC filings and don't understand margins vs profits vs retained earnings being invested in Tesla assets.

And never spending a dime on media industry advertising - that really pisses them off. Probably Tesla has one of the lowest "cost of sales/customer" of any auto company. perhaps Morgan is lower ;-) ??

+400,000 vehicles at negative margins? seriously ?? can't these people read? or do arithmetic?

Elon did call it his "secret plan":
The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me)

Status
Not open for further replies.