TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Geniuses at work in the city

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Kaivball, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

There are two charger point stations near a hotel in Newark, now called "A Loft" (formerly W hotel).

Each station has two charging bays.

The city determined it needed more handicap parking for the hotel and turned one charging bay into a handicap parking spot.

Brilliant.

Now you must have a handicap placard AND an EV to park there...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363798482.221306.jpg

PS: yes, that's my car

2. inottawa

inottawa Member

Would there be room on the opposite side of your car if you were to back in? I think I see a shrub in your pic, so I'm guessing no.

That sucks.

3. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

To the right of my car is the other charge point station with two bays.

The spots are not even near the main entrance and not visible from the road.

We are discussing if one of us should just chance it and see what happens... :)

4. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Black spray can, hacksaw. No more handicapped parking space. Put it somewhere else...jeez!

5. drees

drees Active Member

#5 drees, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    Is there another station that is already ADA accessible? If not, there are laws on the books that require that at least one EVSE at a location be accessible from an ADA spot if an EVSE is installed.

Edit: Yep, looking at the location on PlugShare that appears to be the case. Too bad they are so close to the entrance, that makes them very likely to be ICEd, but unfortunately installing them farther away is much more expensive. Here's the location on Google Maps.

6. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

#6 Kaivball, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    There are 10 total handicap spots.

They just recently "created"/painted them.

The tenth is now taking one of the 4 charge point bays. Charge point has been there at least two years.

So ADA demands that even EV spot must have dedicated handicap spots?

I have never seen that before.

7. drees

drees Active Member

From the EV Project:
    http://www.theevproject.com/downloads/documents/EV%20Project%20-%20Accessibility%20at%20Public%20EV%20Charging%20Locations%20(97).pdf

Section 2.1:
    From your utility PG&E:
    http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/shared/environment/pge/cleanair/ev5pt3.pdf

Section H:

8. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

So is that saying that the requirement is merely ensuring a subset of the EV charging spots are accessible, are still available on a first-come / first-served basis, and those without a handicap pass / plate aren't going to get a ticket when charging there?

9. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

It isn't global, but in some municipalities, there are requirements. For example, in my city, if you install a charge station in a public lot, then you must install at least one that is ADA accessible. Ecotality worked with that by either:
    1. Installing a single charger in a spot adjacent to both a regular and ADA space that can be accessed by either spot.
    2. Installing multiple chargers, one not ADA accessible and the other ADA accessible.

10. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

What's the definition of "accessible"?

Specifically reserved and marked for cars with handicap placards or special lowered ramps and curbs?

11. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

In my city's case it means: pluggable from an ADA marked space and it has to be placed in a manner that a usable by a wheelchair bound person (e.g. lowered height pedestal).

12. radinator

radinator Member

in my case at work, we have the same arrangement of one of the charging spots being handicap accessible. But in our setup, it is first come/first served. Not sure if that is the general rule of thumb everywhere else based on the legislation/building codes.

13. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Fixed thread title from Genius' to Geniuses.

14. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

Thanks. English is not my first language...