Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Georgia power super off-peak charging rate 1.4 cents/KwH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for reference my Florida Power & Light rate in 10.8 cents kWh with no variation.

Duke energy in central FL:

12c per kwh till I go over some magic limit then its 13c per kwh....

Also no EV rate and no off peak rates of any kind. I asked about EV rates since their website talks about EV and helping the environment, they replied saying they did some studies on it. But that's as far as they will go - they are all talk.

So how has summer been going so far for those on the ev rate plan with ga power.

I’m thinking I will switch one of my two accounts to the plan soon for the super off peak rates.

So far so good for my summer charging needs while still maintaining a comfortable lifestyle (AC at 78 during the day, 74 otherwise; normal clothes washing/drying and dishwasher use).

As anyone taken the effort to compare the plug-in EV plan to the Smart usage plan? I'm curious to know which is the better option.

I thought this thread died after my last post. I did switch to Georgia Power's plug-in rate. The Georgia Public Service Commission has a web page that allows you to compute what your bill would be using standard rates, GPcalc.asp, and I have used that to determine if I have saved money. For the 12 month period after I switched, (11/18 through 10/19), my average bill under the plug-in rate was $179.59. I saved an average of $13.85 per month from the standard rate. There were only two months that my bill was higher than the standard rate, 8/19 an 10/19, each by exactly $5.44. We have not altered our power usage habits very much. Of course I only charge my car during super off-peak hours, (11PM to 7AM), and we rarely run the dishwasher before 11 PM. During the one year period we rarely ran the dryer before 11PM. While we still never run the dishwasher or dryer during peak summer hours, (2PM to 7PM), we don't wait until 11PM to dry items that we want to hang or fold before we go to bed. We keep our thermostat set at 68 in the winter and 78 in the summer. (We have ceiling fans, so they keep the 78 setting comfortable.) I'm sure the savings would be significantly more if I used my car more, but I am retired so I have no commute. We took several road trips during the period, but used Superchargers for those. (Hey, most of the Supercharging was free! Elon had turned off the billing during one of our hurricanes and just recently turned it back on. I had to pay $5.52 for my trip to Jacksonville to get my FSD chip installed.) I am using my car even less during the pandemic, so the savings are less, average savings of only $1.90 for the past 4 months. Before making this post I researched the Smart Usage plan on the Georgia Power web-site, but I am just not smart enough to figure that one out, so I am no help to @REckard. Oh, that post was August 2019....never mind.

Reactions: Timmy T.
I thought this thread died after my last post. I did switch to Georgia Power's plug-in rate. The Georgia Public Service Commission has a web page that allows you to compute what your bill would be using standard rates, GPcalc.asp, and I have used that to determine if I have saved money. For the 12 month period after I switched, (11/18 through 10/19), my average bill under the plug-in rate was $179.59. I saved an average of $13.85 per month from the standard rate. There were only two months that my bill was higher than the standard rate, 8/19 an 10/19, each by exactly $5.44. We have not altered our power usage habits very much. Of course I only charge my car during super off-peak hours, (11PM to 7AM), and we rarely run the dishwasher before 11 PM. During the one year period we rarely ran the dryer before 11PM. While we still never run the dishwasher or dryer during peak summer hours, (2PM to 7PM), we don't wait until 11PM to dry items that we want to hang or fold before we go to bed. We keep our thermostat set at 68 in the winter and 78 in the summer. (We have ceiling fans, so they keep the 78 setting comfortable.) I'm sure the savings would be significantly more if I used my car more, but I am retired so I have no commute. We took several road trips during the period, but used Superchargers for those. (Hey, most of the Supercharging was free! Elon had turned off the billing during one of our hurricanes and just recently turned it back on. I had to pay $5.52 for my trip to Jacksonville to get my FSD chip installed.) I am using my car even less during the pandemic, so the savings are less, average savings of only $1.90 for the past 4 months. Before making this post I researched the Smart Usage plan on the Georgia Power web-site, but I am just not smart enough to figure that one out, so I am no help to @REckard. Oh, that post was August 2019....never mind.

I've been very happy on the Georgia Power EV plan. In a few more days no more 2PM-7PM worry - YIPPIE!!!

Same 11PM habits and clearly even though we also don't charge our vehicle a lot the 11PM-7AM power discount works for everything including getting the house nice and cool overnight. We do shut off our AC at 2PM M-F June through August though. At 7PM we celebrate

Reactions: SigRed12 and JimS
On Peak is including September. Full calendar months of JUNE, JULY, AUGUST and SEPTEMBER.
Don't let your guard down.
The On Peak is over $.20 per KW vs .014 during off off peak.

ON-PEAK: The On-Peak period is defined as the hours starting at 2:00 p.m. and ending at 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday for the calendar months of June through September (Summer Months). The above hours on days in which the following holidays are observed shall be considered Off-Peak: Independence Day and Labor Day.

September too. Yeah, I just made a mistake in my post. Got ahead of myself. The power in Georgia is so cheap compared to many other areas of the country. One benefit to living here for sure....

My guess is that M-3PO is one of your favorite stereos. With a 140 mile commute you could listen to Abbey Road on your way into work, then Dark Side Of The Moon on your way home. You must miss that commute!

I am very happy it has a great sound system :) But I am also happy to be working from home, and likely will be from here forward from what I am hearing. I am fortunate to have a job where I really don't have to be in the office, except occasionally. This "event" has helped prove that.

I have got to do this I just traded my 2020 10,000 mile model 3 performance in white for a 2023 blue model 3 performance I went to the dealer to order a 2024 the salesman said ok but you need to hear this your 2020 has full self driving and Tesla just announced that if you buy a 2023 they will put full self driving on it for FREE they will then take it off your trade at that deal I will drive my blue 2023 a couple of years then if I like the new cars I will trade again. My wife was with me and she has been driving Prius for years and was trying to get a new one but they never could get the color ect she wanted so she bought a new Tesla single motor model 3 and they gave her more for the Prius than Toyota would. And I am surprised at how much performance the single has.

Reactions: JimS
I have got to do this I just traded my 2020 10,000 mile model 3 performance in white for a 2023 blue model 3 performance I went to the dealer to order a 2024 the salesman said ok but you need to hear this your 2020 has full self driving and Tesla just announced that if you buy a 2023 they will put full self driving on it for FREE they will then take it off your trade at that deal I will drive my blue 2023 a couple of years then if I like the new cars I will trade again. My wife was with me and she has been driving Prius for years and was trying to get a new one but they never could get the color ect she wanted so she bought a new Tesla single motor model 3 and they gave her more for the Prius than Toyota would. And I am surprised at how much performance the single has.
also the RWD is more efficient so u may not even need the off peak rate!

Not sure what this has to do with Ga Power's Off-Peak rate plan, but congrats on the new car.

Reactions: Vitaman and Akikiki
I agree with @SigRed12 I can share you excitement by such a great deal, but I doubt many will benefit from your comment, unless they are looking under her for information like that. You are officially encouraged to create a new thread and brag about your deal so others will benefit from it.

We know that Elon announced during the last earnings call that Tesla would allow FSD transfer -one time, during 3rd quarter for folks that are buying a new one. He has said that is a one time - one quarter only "deal". Who knows, maybe it will happen again. But still a great thing.

Reactions: SigRed12