Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Georgia power super off-peak charging rate 1.4 cents/KwH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been on Georgia Power's EV rate plan since June of last year. To clarify a couple of things; first there is no second meter. They replace the existing meter with a smart meter. My understanding is some newer homes already have the smart meter however my house is a 60's model. As unbelievable as it seems, once I contacted them about converting to the EV rate, my meter was replaced the next day. Georgia Power is way deep in EV charging here and have installed hundreds of their own stations in the state. (CHAdeMO and Level 2)
The installer told me to think about the meter as having 3 buckets; 1 bucket per time cycle, On-Peak, Off-Peak, and Super Off-Peak which correlates to 20.32, 6.59 and 1.42 Cents/kW. So what I do and in fact they encourage this, charge the car, bring the house AC down to artic and run the pool pump. So when I get the bill, my Super Off-Peak is where the majority of the use is. Georgia Power is GREAT!!!

Reactions: Atlantan
I have been on Georgia Power's EV rate plan since June of last year. To clarify a couple of things; first there is no second meter. They replace the existing meter with a smart meter. My understanding is some newer homes already have the smart meter however my house is a 60's model. As unbelievable as it seems, once I contacted them about converting to the EV rate, my meter was replaced the next day. Georgia Power is way deep in EV charging here and have installed hundreds of their own stations in the state. (CHAdeMO and Level 2)
The installer told me to think about the meter as having 3 buckets; 1 bucket per time cycle, On-Peak, Off-Peak, and Super Off-Peak which correlates to 20.32, 6.59 and 1.42 Cents/kW. So what I do and in fact they encourage this, charge the car, bring the house AC down to artic and run the pool pump. So when I get the bill, my Super Off-Peak is where the majority of the use is. Georgia Power is GREAT!!!

Good point on AC savings. We also decided to do laundry and run the dishwasher after 7. I am curious, how much were the "other" fees mentioned on the GA power page and your savings relative to before signing up.

I was one of Georgia Power's first customers on the EV rate plan five years ago. Most of what Flow says above is correct, just a few corrections.

All of the meters were replaced statewide by Georgia Power about 7-9 years ago. All residential properties should have newer meters by now. I believe the (new) existing meters can do the EV rate plan, but maybe not.

Georgia Power has not installed "hundreds" of charging stations, more like two dozen. But they are dual-standard DCFC (Chademo and SAE Combo) and are spread out across the state, AWAY from metro Atlanta, enabling short-range EVs (i.e. non-Tesla EVs) to go on roadtrips. Nissan and EVGO (formerly of NRG) have done a good job of blanketing the metro area; GP added to that but also is covering the rest of the state. It really is awesome.

Most important, though, the cents per kWh numbers I keep seeing here DO NOT INCLUDE ALL OF THE FEES. Instead of the three buckets above, the numbers I use are 30 / 15 / 7.5 cents per kWh. Note 7.5 cents per kWh, not 1.4 cents! That's the actual cost you'll see on your bill, if you do the math. It's actually a little more than that but it's easy for me to remember those numbers :)

Does anyone know if Sawnee EMC (services a lot of north Atlanta suburbs) offers similar program?
Tried looking up their site, but it's not functional most of the times.
Yes, they do. They have 4 different rate schedules.

Plug In Vehicles | Sawnee EMC

PEV Scorecard | Sawnee EMC

I've got a Nissan Leaf, but I don't drive much every day. Plus since my wife is stay at home, we use a decent amount of energy during the day, especially running AC in the summer months. Their specific PEV rate also requires a 2nd meter be installed, but you can do the other 2 plans which have a time of use component without a 2nd meter.

The regular residential rate works best for my situation, but you may do better with one of the other plans depending on your situation.

I've read that folks in Detroit Con Edison territory who opt for real time pricing frequently see the rate go to zero at around 2 AM. That's the only thing I've heard of that's anywhere close to your rate. Definitely jealous. :)

Here are the current accurate rates for the TOU-Plug in Electric Vehicle for GA POWER

Super off-peak = Every day 11 PM - 7 AM $0.014164 per KWH + $0.024490 = $0.038654
Off peak = Everyday 7 AM - 11 PM $0.065865 + $0.024490 = $0.090355
On peak = Monday thru Friday (Summer-Jun/Jul/Aug/Sep) 2 PM - 7 PM $0.203217 + $0.024490 = $0.227707

The $0.024490 represents a fuel charge over and above the base rate.
GA Power wants the public to time shift all power needs to the Super off-peak times. They encourage all charging, dishwasher, washer and dryer, and any other electric needs to be time shifted.

There are some additional junk fees. My electric bill has gone down in dollars even though my KWH hours have increased by time shifting my electric needs to the night, despite charging 2 electric cars exclusively at home.

So, in summary, the GA Power rate that has been cited previously of $0.014164 is really $0.038654. Still an incredible rate. Doesn't pay to go solar considering the payback period would be forever after figuring the cost of money. Solar might save me $40 but my total cost in May for the super off peak was $23.50 (.038654 x 608 KWH) including charging 2 cars, dishwasher, washer and dryer. My total KWH consumption in May was 1196 KWH and my total bill, with all fees was $111.43.

Sorry California, Hawaii and the Northeast states.

To refresh this older post! I could use some direction from you pros that have experience with this here in Georgia.

I looked into this today and called Georgia Power as well. I'm getting my M3 in a week. My driving habits won't be more than everage and likely below average. I work at home.

https://www.georgiapower.com/conten...l-pdfs/residential-rate-plans/2.30-tou-pv.pdf

NOTE: The $10 monthly fee is identical to the normal standard service so apples to apples.

I broke down my last 2 bills (winter rate cycle March-April & April-May) and the real total after all fees and taxes worked out to about 12¢ per kWh but those fees and taxes are all apples to apples and unavoidable of course.

Current Standard Rates - haven't changed in over a year (years?)

MONTHLY RATE: WINTER - For the Billing Months of October through May
Basic Service Charge.............................................................................................$10.00
First 650 kWh……………………………………………………………………………5.6582¢ per kWh
Next 350 kWh……………………………………………………………………………4.8533¢ per kWh
Over 1000 kWh………………………………………………………………………….4.7641¢ per kWh

SUMMER - For the Billing Months of June through September
Basic Service Charge..……………………………………………………..……….......$10.00
First 650 kWh……………………………………………………………………………5.6582¢ per kWh
Next 350 kWh……………………………………………………………………………9.3983¢ per kWh
Over 1000 kWh………………………………………………………………………….9.7273¢ per kWh

Versus

***I need help here boys and girls.....what do I do? I do work from home but we can alter our usage of course. I'm assuming 400kWh per month for charging my new Tesla which of course would be during Super Off-Peak times. Is that realistic or is the everage more/less??We used 900 in March-April and 1040 in April-May. Was told no 2nd meter, just program the existing one or switch out for a smart meter. It's going to take up to 2 billing cycles too which sucks as the summer peak rates would be nice to not have to pay and show us more savings. I think we could be set-up by July billing but certainly August. Thoughts??

ELECTRIC SERVICE TARIFF: TIME OF USE – PLUG-IN ELECTRIC VEHICLE SCHEDULE: “TOU-PEV-6” PAGE EFFECTIVE DATE REVISION PAGE NO. 1 of 3 With Bills Rendered for the Billing Month of January, 2016 Original 2.30 AVAILABILITY: Throughout the Company's service area from existing lines of adequate capacity. APPLICABILITY: For all domestic uses of a Residential Customer in a separately metered dwelling unit. A Residential Customer hereunder is defined in the Company’s Rules and Regulations for Electric Service. TYPE OF SERVICE: Single or three phase, 60 hertz, at a standard voltage.
MONTHLY RATE: Basic Service Charge.........................................................................$10.00
Energy Charges: On-Peak kWh.....................................................................................20.3217¢ per kWh
Off-Peak kWh...................................................................................................................6.5865¢ per kWh
Super Off-Peak kWh........................................................................................................1.4164¢ per kWh
Minimum Monthly Bill: $10.00 Basic Service Charge plus Environmental Compliance Cost Recovery, plus Nuclear Construction Cost Recovery, plus Demand Side Management Residential Schedule, plus Municipal Franchise Fee.

I was one of Georgia Power's first customers on the EV rate plan five years ago. Most of what Flow says above is correct, just a few corrections.

All of the meters were replaced statewide by Georgia Power about 7-9 years ago. All residential properties should have newer meters by now. I believe the (new) existing meters can do the EV rate plan, but maybe not.

Georgia Power has not installed "hundreds" of charging stations, more like two dozen. But they are dual-standard DCFC (Chademo and SAE Combo) and are spread out across the state, AWAY from metro Atlanta, enabling short-range EVs (i.e. non-Tesla EVs) to go on roadtrips. Nissan and EVGO (formerly of NRG) have done a good job of blanketing the metro area; GP added to that but also is covering the rest of the state. It really is awesome.

Most important, though, the cents per kWh numbers I keep seeing here DO NOT INCLUDE ALL OF THE FEES. Instead of the three buckets above, the numbers I use are 30 / 15 / 7.5 cents per kWh. Note 7.5 cents per kWh, not 1.4 cents! That's the actual cost you'll see on your bill, if you do the math. It's actually a little more than that but it's easy for me to remember those numbers :)

YES - well said. Our current standard rate of 5.6582/4.8533/4.7641 really works out to about .12 per kWh after all the kink

Do you find the TOU-PEV-6 plan to make sense?? I posted my situation here, Could use some advice. Thanks

@Timmy T: Where are you in SE Georgia? My old homestead is a farm just north of Waycross, GA.

Next month will be the second summer that we will drive there to visit my brothers and other family. Last year we used the Supercharger at Tifton, GA to fill up before heading east, then used the local Nissan dealer overnight our last night there (got permission and they were happy to let us charge). Then we used Kingsland, GA and St. Augustine, FL to visit family in Florida before heading home. This year we plan to make it all the way to Key West so we can hit all the Superchargers in Florida.

Close to 9,000 miles total.

On the Superchargers Visited thread we are at 81 Superchargers Visited. This trip we hope to hit at least 81 more bringing our total to 162 or more.

Last year we put over 10,000 miles on our new Model S 75D in less than 7 weeks. We had over 15,000 miles in just over 3 months, and 25,000 miles in 11 months. Today we are at almost 26,000 miles. Our tires are still looking good, but will probably need a new set by the time we get back, if we do not have to get them during this trip.

We will be in Waycross from the evening of July 1, planning to leave early evening July 4. Probably drive to Kingsland first, then south on I-95. Would love to meet and chat while we both charge up there. Let me know in Private Conversation if you are interested.

Hey Grafii, We would enjoy meeting up with y'all if date/time works out. Talk down the road on that for sure....

So Georgia Power says up to 2 billing cycles. Try 2 days. Our meter was provisioned or whatever they do on Friday June 1st after filling out the online application just 2 or 3? days prior. They hung a green tag on our door to let us know. Great timing as the summer season and higher standard rates went up on that very day. So we're adjusting to throttling our usage 2PM-7PM M-F already since I work from home. We're saving all other hours these next 4 months but will be crushing it Super-Off Peak 11PM-7AM at just 1.4164 kWh (about .7 after all fees and tax I figure). Going to get my M3 in a couple days (Fri. 6/8 in Jax). Never drove one and my first Tesla so very, very excited.....

Reactions: Atlantan and Graffi
We have been on GA Power's alternate summer program for several years so setting up our meter for the EV rate was a simple programming change. I am at home during most days but we shut down the AC anyway. We have just started the EV program (that adds a penny from our old rate to the 7:00 PM-11:pM time but then reduces the 11:00 PM to 2:00 AM time). Now I am turning the AC down to 70 in the early AM, hoping to keep the house cooler during the 2:00 PM - 7:00 PM shutdown. I am also changing my laundry times and setting spouse's Ford Energi plug- in (my Model 3 does not arrive until the end of August) to charge during the cheapest time. August will be the first full month on the program so I will see how it compares to last year's bill before the Model 3 impacts it. It will also be interesting to see how this affects our heating costs since, unlike our old plan, the slight on peak increase (7:AM - 11:pM) and the dramatic super off peak rates apply all year.

Reactions: Atlantan