Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

German Model Y changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Does the current model Y in the US have a similar wiring loom the the 3? Or is that possibly one of the upgrades slides to my Elon in this lot of tweets?
Elon Musk: Tesla German-built Model Y is going to be 'a revolution in auto body engineering' - Electrek

We saw a patent a year+ ago, I wonder if it needs a whole new factory to get it going? Patent was for what looked like a stiff cable system that looked more like USB for control, rather than separate wires for every little feature. Pluggable by robots, less cables, more automation, but we haven't seen it yet.

Or is he just talking about stamping lumps of metal as per the article?

I think in one of the Sandy Munroe videos he stated the model Y wiring came in a shorter and stiffer form that made it much easier to fit. Where thought Tesla where heading was a power/data cable loop that all electrical devices draw power from and communicate over - resulting in a massive reduction in cabling - I'm not aware they have gone that far yet.

Also need to bear in mind with Tesla's rate of change there will be substantial differences in the model 3's produced to day compared to a year or more ago