Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get 21" Turbines they said... It will look cool they said...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20180825-200205.png
:-/

literally... Brand... New... Tires...

And now a flat...

Oh well at least the wheel is not damaged

Could always be worse! :p

Consider yourself lucky! This week I hit a shoulder pothole on 287N in NJ and it took out two tires (Hankook Ventus V12 evo2) and two Turbine rims (see: How not to end a 3,000 mile road trip...)

upload_2018-8-22_8-28-52-png.327844

Luckily, I had been 'collecting', for lack of a better word, a few spare grey Turbine rims from various wheel and tire trades and deals. I had three repaired and repainted rims in my garage, so it was easy to put new tires on them and swap out the bent ones, which I'll now get fixed for $200 each and put them back into the garage for the next time this happens. The Turbine rims are also now getting pretty cheap to buy for spares/replacements. And don't trash the old ones, if they're not cracked, they're easily repaired for couple hundred bucks (and even if they are cracked, they still can be repaired).

I've been running the 21" Turbines on both my P85+ and P85D since 2014 in and around the greater NYC area. I love the way these wheels look. Yes, you do need to be careful to actively watch and avoid potholes.

That said, I have hit plenty of big potholes which I thought would be lights-out for the rims, and had no damage to the rims or tires at all. They're not as soft and vulnerable as people say they are.

Last year I hit a pothole on the NJTP that damaged the tire sidewall (Sotozero winter tire), but the rim was fine. And luckily, while the tire was damaged, it still held air and I could drive 30 miles home when I was able to switch to my summer tires.

I do run 19" rims and winter tires in the winter.