TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Get 21" Turbines they said... It will look cool they said...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BIG ACH, Aug 25, 2018.

1. BIG ACH

BIG ACH Member

Screenshot_20180825-200205.png :-/

literally... Brand... New... Tires...

And now a flat...

Oh well at least the wheel is not damaged

Could always be worse! :p

2. David.85D

David.85D Member

But they do look mahvalous

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I love the look of the 21s but getting a flat each time I ran over something the size of a gnat stopped being fun rather quickly, so I reluctantly switched to the 19s.

4. P100DHG.

P100DHG. Member

My pilot super sports got a screw in them (small one) ate it up crapped it out and kept going. Local tire shop pulled the screw out and no patches, no plugs and no leaks. It’s not the wheels.

5. TM Parts

TM Parts Teslamotive

Get better tires and learn how to drive. Never had an issue with 21s

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 1
  6. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

That sucks, this very reason is why I run 19's. Too many holes in the roads for 21's to last long.

7. timvracer

timvracer Member

1.5 years so far on my 21's, no issues. crossing fingers....

8. BIG ACH

BIG ACH Member

Continental Contisportcontacts?

And kinda hard to avoid driving over a huge part of someobodys fallen bumper going 70 with cars on each side :/

9. AviP

AviP Member

21" in any city is asking for a flat and bent rims. Unless you work for the DPW and know where all the potholes are.

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Consider yourself lucky! This week I hit a shoulder pothole on 287N in NJ and it took out two tires (Hankook Ventus V12 evo2) and two Turbine rims (see: How not to end a 3,000 mile road trip...)

[​IMG]

Luckily, I had been 'collecting', for lack of a better word, a few spare grey Turbine rims from various wheel and tire trades and deals. I had three repaired and repainted rims in my garage, so it was easy to put new tires on them and swap out the bent ones, which I'll now get fixed for $200 each and put them back into the garage for the next time this happens. The Turbine rims are also now getting pretty cheap to buy for spares/replacements. And don't trash the old ones, if they're not cracked, they're easily repaired for couple hundred bucks (and even if they are cracked, they still can be repaired).

I've been running the 21" Turbines on both my P85+ and P85D since 2014 in and around the greater NYC area. I love the way these wheels look. Yes, you do need to be careful to actively watch and avoid potholes.

That said, I have hit plenty of big potholes which I thought would be lights-out for the rims, and had no damage to the rims or tires at all. They're not as soft and vulnerable as people say they are.

Last year I hit a pothole on the NJTP that damaged the tire sidewall (Sotozero winter tire), but the rim was fine. And luckily, while the tire was damaged, it still held air and I could drive 30 miles home when I was able to switch to my summer tires.

I do run 19" rims and winter tires in the winter.

11. Nick B

Nick B Member

It really depends on the quality of the roads where you live. I would never run 21's in Montréal... people get flat tires easily with 19's...

12. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

21's are fine in Los Angeles......as long as you don't go over 12 mph.

• Funny x 1
  13. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

Although nothing has ever compared to that time I was in Indianapolis......they are not so much "potholes" as they are "Journeys to the Center of the Earth"

• Funny x 2
  14. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

So you running over somebody's bumper caused the flat? Was the license plate still on it?

15. BIG ACH

BIG ACH Member

No I did not see a license plate... Why, did you lose a bumper? :D

• Funny x 1
  16. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

17. Astraviel

Astraviel Member

I got forged 20" wheels from Avant Garde after being fed up with constant flat tires with 21". No problems at all with 20".