Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Los Angeles, 6/29 - 7/1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(ran into AnOutsider, W. Petefish, and Marcus walking around Santa Monica--great talking to you guys!).

Hey! AnOutsider == Marcus ;) The other guy was Raphy, he's not here on the boards. As for deferring, if you do, that brown is calling....

Hey AnOutsider, any idea what the service messages were about from the vehicle? I'd guess they had to do with the speed-limiting, but I don't see how the the suspension one would be related?

I bet at least one of those cops on Tesla duty places a deposit within the week ;)

I'm willing to assume it's because we were sitting in a beta without a full pack on board. We got the impression the car was running off of a power cord we saw taped down to the ground and running under the car. The active suspension seemed to also be disabled and the entire section of the screen was disabled. There didn't seem to be any software indication that the cars were limited, and indeed I got mine up to 87 (and have a pic at 84). I believe at least a couple of the cars had the software disabled, but even in the one that had it enabled, there was visible no indication that it was in place. Should make for a great valet mode.

As for the cops, they seemed pretty excited overall. During W.Petefish's drive, they even stopped us to have one of the officers on duty check out the inside before we "launched" ;)

I noticed the severe distortion in the rear window, it's not the mirror as my rear passengers looked normal. There's definitely a severe horizontal bend in the glass that creates a severe horizontal pinch distortion. Luckily we have the rear view camera.

I didn't notice that, but then again, I can't really recall just how the rearview looked, so I may have just been too excited. The rearview camera is great, though on the first car we were in the Tesla badge seemed to get in the way of the view a bit. Not sure if the camera was angled too far up, or the badge slipped down, but the second car we took out didn't have this issue.

I'm willing to assume it's because we were sitting in a beta without a full pack on board. We got the impression the car was running off of a power cord we saw taped down to the ground and running under the car. The active suspension seemed to also be disabled and the entire section of the screen was disabled.
As for the cops, they seemed pretty excited overall. During W.Petefish's drive, they even stopped us to have one of the officers on duty check out the inside before we "launched" ;)

I see, didn't realize it was a beta. Lol @ an officer stopping to check out the inside. You shoulda offered to pop the hood for him to check for illegal engine mods ;)

Model S would make a great police car : the "electric interceptor " ...

The screen would be much better than their rugged laptop, plus it's already connected, and you could dedicate one Tegra for rear license plate lookup and the second for front (with the additional front camera, called the famera) lookups.

Heck, it would pay for itself (and the supercharger at the station) in a month with tickets alone. :)

Model S would make a great police car : the "electric interceptor " ...

The screen would be much better than their rugged laptop, plus it's already connected, and you could dedicate one Tegra for rear license plate lookup and the second for front (with the additional front camera, called the famera) lookups.

Heck, it would pay for itself (and the supercharger at the station) in a month with tickets alone. :)

Whose side are you on, exactly?

Thanks for the great review, Silenus. Here are a few of my observations from the LA event today:

1) As others have said, the acceleration from 0-75 mph was amazing! It was unlike the feeling of any other car because the acceleration is so smooth, with no shifting gears. Kinda felt like the magnetic takeoff on the roller coaster at Disney's California Adventure. (I was in a non-performance car and now have no regrets about not ordering a performnce version next year since it was still very fast.)

2) Brake regen felt good and was easy to get used to. Copilot switched to low regen midway through, but didn't like it as much since it felt like an ICE car with no deceleration when you take your foot off the pedal.

3) Unlike your experience, the Telsa rep opened and closed the panoramic roof for me before my test drive. He also let me sit in the back seat of cars with and without the panoramic roof to test the headroom. (See my observations in the Panoramic Roof thread.)

Overall, I had a great time driving the S! Now the long wait resumes...

Hey Capt601, enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing! Just a note... in your video, your wife says "... clueless, like the people at work!". Don't know if she meant her work or yours but since you might be showing this video around to people at one or the other (and it's on the web for all to see)... just wanted to give you a heads up! Hopefully the co-workers don't read this forum too ;).

Funny you said that. I said be same thing when we were watching it last night. Sad thing it is both of our coworkers. None of them really understand the concept of the tesla. So far my coworkers who have seen it haven't said anything yet. We'll see tomorrow with hers!! :)

Just returned from my test drive today in LA, and I have to say it was a very positive experience. I echo Silenus136 in that it was a surreal experience accelerating in such a smooth manner, and regenerative braking is definitely something to get used to, but you do fairly quickly in this car. Now for the drive information.

I will save my comparisons to the M5 for the proper thread (Model S vs M5), but suffice it to say that I have little to no qualms about my decision to replace the M5 for the performance. I did drive the performance (silver with tan interior!??) and the staff were very accommodating in letting me select which variant to drive, especially when told what you were looking at purchasing.

The route has been discussed ad nauseum, so I won’t hit the details, but the initial feeling is a smooth take off, easily modulated by the right foot. The car is extremely quiet and my wife had no idea we were ready to go until we were actually moving. Our co-pilot was as laid back as they get, and he would demo the screen periodically, dousing the volume when he wanted to talk or to demo how quiet the car/ride was. He didn’t seem to have much more information available than was is discussed/theorized here, so I didn’t try to pump him much for information, instead, I focused on the drive.

The turn signal stalk is fat and was easy to capture if you are at the 9-3 hand position, so I never hit the wrong lever. Mirrors provide a wide view from the rear, and my concerns about rear visibility were minimal compared to what I had feared, given the small, highly slanted view out the back window. The gauge display is marvelous and really you could get lost in wonderland just playing with the different variations, but I was most impressed with how well integrated and thoughtful the displays were and how easy it was to see what you were doing at a glance. The nav display within the gauge cluster is brilliant. All transitions were smooth and without glitches between displays.

The acceleration is brisk and powerful, seamless with a gush of power that pushes you into your seat, then continues rapidly to the limited 79 mph we were allowed.

Road noise is held to a minimum, and only tire noises and a very, very faint whine were heard. I was impressed with the levels of wind noise in the cabin, tell tale of some serious aerodynamics and sound insulation going on. My tester had the lacewood interior with the lacewood lined console (rubber lines to grip items from sliding about) as well as the cubby under the display. It definitely enhanced the quality of the interior look, IMHO. I was pleased with the lacewood, but would take Obeche over it, matte finish.

During the ride, the co-pilot did receive a phone call, which was routed to the car, and it has a repeated monotone beep alert. The caller-ID displayed the number in a pop up window on the screen.

The suspension and ride harshness was very well controlled, firm but supple and road vibrations, while they could be felt in the steering, were somewhat muted, leading to a slightly numb feeling for the steering. Despite this, the car felt significantly smaller than it’s girth and length would suggest, and it was mildly tossable. Going onto the 105, I accelerated into a moderate turn which was easily controlled, there was plenty more to give in that turn, but given my wife videoing in the back seat, kept the car tame enough that she didn’t notice all that much.

Acceleration and merging were brisk and dynamic, with quick steering response at speed. This car will give only minimal lateral motion and no dive/squat kinematics. Being a gear head for so long, you actually have to get used to their absence.

The car does not ask you to actively drive it to get it to do something, so actions are quick, responses are fairly immediate. I am a little ambivalent about that, but I’m sure I’ll get over it.

The mad dash at the end was only somewhat satisfying, only because I knew that I was limited in speed and just had to mash and go, holding onto the wheel, and with no sweepers to navigate, the ride was over before I knew it. The police were actually rented security cops on motorcycle detail, but curiously, all were armed. My wife recorded the speedometer during the dash so that we can unleash the mathematicians to analyze the play by play down to the millisecond.

Upon returning, I had a long, pleasant conversation with one of the engineers, who was quite open about discussing upcoming changes. I will discuss these in the Unknowns thread, and I must say, there were some tantalizing revelations.

I am convinced on the car, and I know that it will be a joy to drive day in and day out.

Last edited:
Had fun at the LA get amped. My first experience with a model S, and as someone on the 60kw list, my wait is til sometime early next year.

I'm not sure if this is at all relevant or meaningful, but by 4:30 PM MOST of the "non-performance" cars had been taken out of the test-drive rotation. Considering that all of the cars there should have had 300 mile ranges, it seemed a little odd to me that most of the "standard" cars had pooped out while all of the "performance" cars were still running. That didn't seem right.

Things that impressed:

- Drives beautifully. Thoroughly impressed by the acceleration and the way that it all just seems to feel right. Loved the car.

- The breaking was fantastic. Slammed on breaks at 60, and it stopped on a dime.

- No body roll whatsoever into a fast offramp run. Incredibly low center of gravity. Feels very stable and secure. Awesome.

- Regen breaking felt natural after about 2 minutes. The tech I spoke with also said that the regen breaking could make huge differences in range, up to 30% in some driving conditions.

- I asked specifically how much of a drain on battery air conditioning and accessories had. The engineer I spoke to said that if you ran the car with EVERYTHING on, cooling on max, you would deplete approximately 7% of the battery on all of those accessories by the time you had used up the entire battery's range. Pretty impressive really. In real situations, you'd probably only ever use 3-4% of battery power on air conditioning in a realistic scenario if what he said is true.

- Controlling A/C seemed pretty easy on the touch screen. Easily accessed at the bottom.

- Also loved how a lot of the features of the car were automated. Lights detect darkness and turn on themselves. Windshield wipers detect rain, etc. So there isn't actually a NEED to use many controls anyway.

Things I didn't like:

- Head room in the back was pretty low. At 5'11, I was JUST hitting the ceiling with my head. You wouldn't want to be 6 foot + tall in the back seat for a long ride. I wonder if the pano roof gives more head room? If so, how much? Anyone got any numbers? Seems a little strange to me that they didn't design another inch up on the rear.

- Positioning of signalling indicators was a little awkward.

- I was a little dismayed to find that you can only open the charging port on the side of the car through the touch screen. That seemed odd to me. Why not add a button that could be pressed externally by the charge port? That would be a far more user-centered design.

- The blue/green colors all looked a little too dark to me. In fact, everything except grey and white were pretty dark and head-absorptive, which seemed odd for a car which you need to remain cool in hot climates. I'll probably go for white. Seems silly to suck down the battery to cool the battery and cabin of a car because most of its colors are so dark. I like the look of blue, but to the sun it's effectively black. That thing's going to roast (particularly since light interiors probably won't look so good with it... at least to my eye).

- Audio/radio controls on the touch screen seemed a little awkward if that part of the screen wasn't active. Found it quite distracting trying to change channels or from mp3 to radio and back while driving. Perhaps experience fixes this, but I missed knobs and buttons here.

- View out the rear was a lot more restricted than Im used to due to the curved roof. There is a back-up cam though, so perhaps that's just a matter of getting used to that too. Still, I value good visibility highly.

- Didn't seem to be any place to store phones, wallet, etc. Cup holders? Very strange.

- No parking break. That's a major safety concern for me. What happens if the breaks fail? What if acceleration sticks? Can you throw it into neutral quickly at least?

All in all, enjoyed the car. Still some details there that aren't complete, and a few design decisions that are head scratchers, but overall impressed.

-- cars are taken out of rotation for quick top-ups throughout the day. The other cars weren't "pooped out" they were just getting topped up.

-- pano roof supposedly gives an extra 2 inches

-- signalling indicators will take some getting used to, apparently they are made for ease of use with 9 - 3 hand positions rather than the old style 10 - 2.

-- the charge port will also open automatically for a charger. Not much reason to open it otherwise.

-- audio controls are mainly used on the steering wheel, I think

-- storage is still being worked on

-- neutral is apparently a 1/2 step to drive. I didn't try that however. Throwing it in 'park' is also supposed to disengage the throttle, so that should work too.

The charge plug has an RFID in it so the door opens when you approach.

Parking brake (sp for many above) is automatic.

You have to buy cupholders

Pano roof ads two inches.

Radio knobs (and others) are on the steering wheel.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Can you please explain: " the charge port will also open automatically for a charger. Not much reason to open it otherwise."

My car arrives home - driveway. I get out. It stops.

How do I open the port to charge? Are you saying that the act of bringing the plug towards the car will open that port?

Thanks

As vfx pointed out, the charge plug (wall device or "universal" connector) has an RFID so the port will pop open when one gets close. I've also read that the key fob may do that, but am not sure about that part.

So, yes, just bring the plug to the car and it'll open.

Had fun at the LA get amped. My first experience with a model S, and as someone on the 60kw list, my wait is til sometime early next year.

I'm not sure if this is at all relevant or meaningful, but by 4:30 PM MOST of the "non-performance" cars had been taken out of the test-drive rotation.
----Could it be the Perf was more efficient at the kind of hi-accel testing users were doing?
- The breaking was fantastic. Slammed on breaks at 60
---What did you break? :confused: :eek: Vandalism isn't nice.

- Regen breaking felt natural after about 2 minutes.
---Regen brakes don't break anything. :rolleyes:

- The blue/green colors all looked a little too dark to me. ... That thing's going to roast (particularly since light interiors probably won't look so good with it... at least to my eye).
---Yeah; seems Elon thinks light tones are undignified, or SLT.

- Didn't seem to be any place to store phones, wallet, etc. Cup holders? Very strange.
---Opportunity console, and compartment under screen.

- No parking break.
---Park locks the brakes, I believe. Not the same as a manual cable setup, of course.

Notes above.
That would be a remarkable development if it turns out the Perf models have better range for the same charge. If confirmed, I bet it would result in a boatload of upgraded reservations!!

Last edited: