Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Los Angeles, 6/29 - 7/1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Capt601, thanks for posting your video! It had a good steady view on the speedometer during the acceleration from zero. These are the readings at one second intervals using the video timer:

Time: 11:57 sec - 0 MPH
Time: 11:58 sec - 7 MPH (after 1 sec)
Time: 11:59 sec - 21 MPH (after 2 sec)
Time: 12:00 sec - 30 MPH (after 3 sec)
Time: 12:01 sec - 41 MPH (after 4 sec)
Time: 12:02 sec - 51 MPH (after 5 sec)
Time: 12:03 sec - 60 MPH (after 6 sec)
Time: 12:04 sec - 69 MPH (after 7 sec)

I'm not sure about the start time, it may have been 11:57.5 sec. Someone with video editing software can probably get more accurate numbers.

Thanks to my wife for that video. When we got done, she said excitedly " I got the speedometer when you went down that closed road. It was a blast". Unfortunately as you can hear in the video, someone was walking across the road in front of us where they werent supposed to be and we had to slow down a bit.
Just for a comparison. Here is a video I shot when I rode in the performance version on the straightaway. You can also see the speedometer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74eQ6JGUkCQ

We both love the blue. The blue almost seemed to change colors depending on which angle you were looking at it. And as the sun hit it. Under the tent, it almost appeared black.
The green and brown were in contention as well. But we just were not sure if 5 years from now we will enjoy those colors as much.
Honestly we both loved the sunset red. With #2982 we are planning on getting ours this year, if not we probably would have gone for that one. The wife did say that color was just waiting for a ticket, but I think it would be worth it. But not worth delaying deliver!

So I noticed you weren't driving the performance version in that video, but it had "Sport" steering anyway. I am really happy to see that this was an option.

Last edited:
Really a shame to hear that. I can assure you, as a female Roadster owner, I've never experienced anything like that with Tesla. Everyone is respectful, helpful, etc. (On the other hand, I've experienced far worse when shopping for hardware, appliances, cars, etc. - so I am aware that behavior occurs.) And when I was in Fremont, every Tesla employee assumed I'd be the driver (probably the gleam in my eye :)). Odd that you had just the opposite.

Well, I'm assuming you weren't there with your roadster-owner husband ;-). Maybe I'm being too harsh, we're just very sensitized to things that were probably unconscious from the people in question. (Pat's learning law, and interned in civil liberties stuff.) Someone asked "How many?". There were 4 Tesla employees outside the car who basically made the same joke. The co-pilot didn't say anything explicit, but his attitude came through very clearly.

I'm over it now. Sorry to harsh everyone's mellow. Still a great car.

... The co-pilot guy just seemed to want to get it over with; every time she asked about the control screen, or the panoramic roof, he basically said "I'll show you that later", except there was never a later... when we got back we were pretty much shoved out of the car. ......

Somewhere in a hotel room George B. is reading this and none too happy.

Sorry this happened Greg. Did your daughter get that vibe too? Did she like the car?

That sucks GGR! My wife went to buy a Ram truck years ago and the dealers gave her the ' you can't by that truck, how about a Jetta or something'. A-holes. They wouldn't even sell her one. So she gets that attitude constantly at hardware and supply stores. Men at hardware stores are total dicks to women 75% of the time. If the lady is there to buy cleaning products, Ok -:cursing:

just remember - you were in LA, big city,big attitude

Had a test drive yesterday at 1pm with Eric VFX. We drove the Performance Sig Red car. They let me drive first then we came into the loading zone and switched drivers and he got to go. This was great as it was nice to drive and then immediately ride as a passenger on the same route. Like others, I tested and yes there is no creep. Take your foot off the break at a stop light and the car stays still. Interestingly the car does allow for pedal overlap and torque loading for stop light launches. As not to get any particular Tesla employee in trouble, let's just say that the speed limiter somehow was disabled in our car (darn) so we were able to test 0-75+++ times. The car didn't disappoint. As Roadster owners we both noticed that the S seemed to be as fast or faster at responding to pedal inputs while moving. Eric had fun on the freeway on-ramp and was able to keep the car in a controlled drift slide all the way around the curve. This was with 900lbs+ of passengers on board....pretty impressive.

Overallll I am very happy. As others have noted, fit and finish of the cars is a bit below par when compared to name brancompetitorsrs but this is something I think Tesla can correct quickly as the factory ramp up process happens. I also noticed that although the Pano roof does block a lot of sun, I think I would really need a shade on a long drive. We'll have to wait and see what the shade looks like and how much roof space it takes. All that being said, I can't wait to get my car (hopefully in less than 60 days).

Well, I'm assuming you weren't there with your roadster-owner husband ;-). Maybe I'm being too harsh, we're just very sensitized to things that were probably unconscious from the people in question. (Pat's learning law, and interned in civil liberties stuff.) Someone asked "How many?". There were 4 Tesla employees outside the car who basically made the same joke. The co-pilot didn't say anything explicit, but his attitude came through very clearly.

I'm over it now. Sorry to harsh everyone's mellow. Still a great car.

So no, not there with a Roadster-owner husband. But I was there with a work colleague and a friend here on the forum. Both male.

Consider, too, that it may have also been a bit of a dig at YOU and not her. As in 'these guys all think they have to drive because they know best'. My son, raised by a single mom (me!), is extremely respectful of women (or he'd be missing some body limbs!). Yet when I found my current property and was telling him about it over the phone, I heard 'don't go so fast, Mom. I'll fly out and look at it with you, okay?'. Hahaha. Then I sent him pics and he called saying, 'Put a deposit down NOW'.

My point being that while I love all of you here on the forum, sometimes you can't help your cute selves & step in to 'be the man'. :) And you may have experienced a little joking that was just taken the wrong way.

However, co-pilot behavior? Wrong.

I think they had a GoPro type of camera in the cockpit of my ride, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla management reviewed some of the videos to make sure their employees were being the good ambassadors they should be.

And Eric, I saw your Roadster parked up front when we got there, and when we left, as well as abut 3 or 4 other Roadsters in the lot (1 was on a charger).

Yet when I found my current property and was telling him about it over the phone, I heard 'don't go so fast, Mom. I'll fly out and look at it with you, okay?'. Hahaha. Then I sent him pics and he called saying, 'Put a deposit down NOW'.
I only have what you said above to go on but there's multiple factors here, IMO. Gender might be one. Another might be "taking care of mom" which could be both an age then and being a good kid thing ("take care of your mother"). Also, the tone of the conversation might have triggered a "clearly you're excited, maybe another opinion might be useful." Lastly, "mom's home" is sometimes thought of as "the family home" and so it impacts the child as well -- though some don't have the same relationship/viewpoint.

Just my 2c.

Had my test drive yesterday at the Los Angeles event and wanted to relay my thoughts. But first, to ggr, sorry to hear you had a bad experience. That sounds like a different event than I went to. Everyone was amazingly helpful and really welcoming. There seemed to be a good mix of females and males driving during my short trip to the event in Hawthorne yesterday and everyone was talking about their driving experiences and how great they were.

The one thing I didn't get to do was look at the blue car up close and personal because it was charging the entire time I was there. A super friendly Tesla employee tried to pull it around the side of the building so I could check it out but he said it was parked three cars in and he couldn't move it. So sadly, I will have to wait longer to see the blue in person.

Onto my experience. (Some of this everyone here probably knows but I was writing it for someone who didn't read the TMC discussion boards)

My test drive of the Model-S was amazing. The car handles and drives very solidly and all the discussion of a low center of gravity is very true. You can really feel it when you take a sharp corner very quickly...say at 55mph!!! And especially when breaking to a complete stop from 75 mph. The interior feels very solid and comfortable and almost everything is customizable. You can change the steering from Sport (firm steering), to Standard (medium steering), to Comfort (very squishy steering (I didn't like this setting). You can change the break regen to act more like an automatic ICE car feel or the standard setting is to have a rather aggressive break regen and so you get "One pedal driving" reducing the need for breaking and putting less wear and tear on the break pads.

The interior looked great on all the cars I saw and the rear facing kid seats look perfect for my two boys as soon as they are heavy enough (My son is tall enough but needs to gain 6-7 lbs before he can ride back there.)

The pickup is amazing and unfortunately I test drove a Signature Performance Model-S. Unfortunate because it will be hard to not buy that model! ;)

The course was a good representation of different driving environments you might be in. You started with a small jaunt in front of SpaceX to get a feel for the steering, acceleration, handling and regen then a left onto Crenshaw Blvd for a good example of city driving and merging then a quick merge through the HOV lane to get onto I-105. They encouraged us to take the sharp right turn as fast as possible to get a sense for the low center of gravity but some bozo cut in front of me over the solid white line as I was trying to do this. :(

Then a short, short drive on I-105 (the car gets to 75 so fast it was almost imperceptible.) I had to constantly look at the speedometer to see how fast I was going.

Then a quick exit (I took it at about 60mph around the curve with no roll whatsoever) onto Prairie Avenue which had lots of stoplights and some light traffic allowing me to open the panoramic sunroof all the way and test out the different steering modes while merging and changing lanes.

Then a left onto Northrop Ave. where Tesla had paid a cop to sit there and NOT issue tickets for the day to anyone who blasted off from a cold start to 75mph in about 4 seconds. That was great.

There is very little noise in the car with the windows shut and only some wind and a slight "Tesla whine" from the back of the car (but much less than the roadster) when the panoramic roof and windows are open.

I've read about slight wind noise on the drivers side but I didn't notice anything that bothered me (I was probably having too much fun).

I took two of my friends and we all walked off with a Tesla Grin.

Needless to say, getting back into my Gen 3 Prius to go back home was quite a disappointment.

The car is amazing and the software they have implemented is really intelligent, easy to use and beautiful to look at. I really think this car is going to change the world.

Tesla Get Amped Tour Los Angeles 6_30_2012.jpg

I only have what you said above to go on but there's multiple factors here, IMO. Gender might be one. Another might be "taking care of mom" which could be both an age then and being a good kid thing ("take care of your mother"). Also, the tone of the conversation might have triggered a "clearly you're excited, maybe another opinion might be useful." Lastly, "mom's home" is sometimes thought of as "the family home" and so it impacts the child as well -- though some don't have the same relationship/viewpoint.

Just my 2c.

To be clear, I loved the fact he was being protective of his mom and wanted to make sure I was making a wise decision. But also just saying that guys DO that (not a complaint) & when it happens, it isn't a put down of the woman in question. That's all.

Now about the fact that he has hogged the remote since he was old enough to walk ...

Yes, all three of us got the vibe. But we did all like the car. Oh, well, these things happen. Maybe the co-pilot just needed a pit-stop or something.

It sounds like this was an isolated incident (hopefully). Maybe it just was the guy having a bad day although that's still not an excuse for him.

In the videos from the Fremont Tesla event there were a fair number of women that drove the car and their husbands rode. Sounds completely out of place to any of my experiences with Tesla employees.

I am sorry to hear of your negative experience. I was at Fremont and there were many women drivers and also many older men and women so there is a bit of diversity. I am surprised with the negative remarks, Tesla employees have been great in all my interactions so far.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear of your negative experience. I was at Fremont and there were many women drivers and also many older men and women so there is a bit of diversity. I am surprised with the negative remarks, Tesla employees have been great in all my interactions so far.

I agree with your impressions at the Fremont event: much more balanced in terms of age and gender than the demographic polls here on TMC would suggest. Perhaps online forums just skew to a higher percentage of young males. I guess I've gotten used to the huge gender imbalance here on TMC, but I was really surprised at the percentage of younger adults reported in the demographic surveys on TMC. Fremont seemed to be an age distribution much more like what I would expect to be purchasing a vehicle at the S's price point.