Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get J1772 adapter to pop charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the EU question, someone has already done one although I'm not certain they are selling it. I could do it easily but it requires another PCB as the antenna is different for the higher frequency. And then there is the testing barrier. It would be better if someone on that side of the pond did it for testing and shipping reasons.

I still have hope that Chris can integrate this into the OpenEVSE such that pushing the button causes the transmitter in the OpenEVSE enclosure to pop the port on MS. It would be nice to have a completely inclusive solution to match all the HPWC's features with more robust components.

For the EU version,

I have custom boards being made, i expect them in by the end of next week.
Key fob plastics etc are already in.
I'll post more info at the Open-Chargeport topic, as there is where it belongs.

I'll upload the sourcecode for the project here:
mstegen/Open-Chargeport @ GitHub

It's very easy to change the frequency to 315Mhz for US, or 433Mhz for EU.

Btw i also made a Smart EVSE (open source), which is also more suitable for the EU, as it supports Smart 3 Phase charging, Charging cable unlock/lock, Charging cable current capacity detection, and more..
And it fits in a standard DIN rail enclosure.

Last edited:
Ok
DrComputer
robaross
tommyboy808
cottonwood
NeedToDrive
laalan and
dpodoll

All went out today USPS. A bunch of you PM'd me asking about the fob but did not send an address.

If you want one, please send me your address and I (or Chris H.) will get one out to you in the mail. If you get one from me and you like it, send me a $20 via return mail. I can not speak for Chris H. If you do not like it, just send it back.

Bill

Giz,

Yeah, I'm in the process of doing it. I just need to get my timing right so I do not leave anyone hanging. Chris will follow through and add it to his web store (I think) along with hopefully integrating it into the OpenEVSE arch. such that pressing the button on the Leviton handle will actuate the fob transmitter in the box :)

On a different note, it was a great thing that I ordered batteries only to be told by USPS that even Li Coin Cells are a no no. Those getting fobs will need their own batteries. Sorry.

Giz,

Yeah, I'm in the process of doing it. I just need to get my timing right so I do not leave anyone hanging. Chris will follow through and add it to his web store (I think) along with hopefully integrating it into the OpenEVSE arch. such that pressing the button on the Leviton handle will actuate the fob transmitter in the box :)

On a different note, it was a great thing that I ordered batteries only to be told by USPS that even Li Coin Cells are a no no. Those getting fobs will need their own batteries. Sorry.
I wonder if Chris plans to do any work on dialing down the transmit power further. I'll check in with him to see if there's anything I can do to help.

Regarding USPS, whoever told you that was wrong. Lithium coin cells do have restrictions, that much is true, but you should have had no issue with these. It looks like they'd need to be shipped separately (not installed), unless you had some way to protect the device from powering up while in transit (those little plastic pull tabs are the usual method). This is the relevant section of the mail manual:

10.20.5 Primary Lithium (Non-Rechargeable) Cells and Batteries

Small consumer-type primary lithium cells or batteries (lithium metal or lithium alloy) like those used to power cameras and flashlights are mailable domestically under the following conditions. There are unique standards and limits when mailing primary lithium cells or lithium batteries internationally, or to and from an APO, FPO, or DPO destinations. See IMM 136 for details.
a.General. The following restrictions apply to the mailability of all primary lithium (nonrechargeable) cells and batteries:
1.Each cell must contain no more than 1.0 gram (g) of lithium content percell.
2.Each battery must contain no more than 2.0 g aggregate lithium contentper battery.
3.Each cell or battery must meet the requirements of each test in the UNManual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, and subsection 38.3 as referenced in DOT's hazardous materials regulation at 49 CFR 171.7.
4.All outer packages must have a complete delivery and return address.
b.Installed In Equipment. The following additional restrictions apply to the mailing of primary cells or batteries properly installed in the equipment they operate:
1.The batteries installed in the equipment must be protected from damage and short circuit.
2.The equipment must be equipped with an effective means of preventing it from being turned on or activated.
3.The equipment must be cushioned to prevent movement or damage and be contained in a strong enough sealed package to prevent crushing of the package or exposure of the contents during normal handling in the mail.
4.The mailpiece must not exceed 11 pounds.
c.Mailed With Equipment. The following additional restrictions apply to the mailing of primary cells or batteries shipped with (but not installed in) the device or equipment being mailed:
1.The shipment cannot contain more batteries than the number needed to operate the device.
2.The primary lithium cells and batteries must be packaged separately and cushioned to prevent movement or damage.
3.The shipment must be contained in a strong enough sealed package to prevent crushing of the package or exposure of the contents during normal handling in the mail.
4.The outside of the package must be marked on the address side“Package Contains Primary Lithium Batteries.”
5.The mailpiece must not exceed 11 pounds.
d.Mailed Without Equipment. The following additional restrictions apply to the mailing of primary cells or batteries without equipment:
1.The primary lithium cells and batteries must be mailed in “the originallysealed packaging”.
2.The sealed packages of batteries must be separated and cushioned toprevent short circuit, movement, or damage.
3.The shipment must be contained in a strong enough sealed package to prevent crushing of the package or exposure of the contents during normal handling in the mail.
4.They may only be sent via surface transportation.
5.The outside of the package must be marked on the address side “Surface Mail Only, Primary Lithium Batteries—Forbidden for Transportation Aboard Passenger Aircraft.”
The mailpiece must not exceed 5 pounds.

I've obviously underestimated the need for this fob. I've got ten more assembled boards which I will get programmed and shipped. I have another twenty boards for which I have ordered transmitter chips. I'll get those started in assembly later this week. I'll also order another 200 boards.

For all that have sent me PMs over the last few weeks, please be patient as I had no idea so many people would want them. Apparently a few SCs want stock as well.

For those that have gotten them, please just drop a $20 or a check in return mail. I no longer have a PayPal account after they made such a big deal of needing to "Verify" me after 8 years with an account. The last straw was that I needed a land line which I'd not had for at least five years. The good thing is that all the PP hack spam stopped shortly after I closed the account. For those sending "Payment Emails" from their online bank payment service, I typically delete those without opening as they normally ask for account or other details. Hackers have become so sophisticated that I simply no longer participate in so many things.

Lastly, thanks to all that have received the fob and responded with kind words. I'm a nerd, love doing this type of stuff and would have done it anyway even if no one else wanted one. The kind words are icing on the cake. Thank You.

I've obviously underestimated the need for this fob.

When i was at our Model S Launch party in the Netherlands, i handed out 25 Open Chargeports, just for fun.
I quickly got a lot of request for more boards. I had 25 more PCB's in stock, fitted the parts, and sold them within a day.

But as these were based on a PIC chip + RF transmitter, no enclusure, and hand soldered. It was not something for mass production..

Luckily i found the SI4010 based solution.

I redesigned the board, got rid of all the unnecessary buttons, and had them professionally made.
They are available now (for the European Model S) at Model S Chargeport Opener

Still open source, will post the sourcecode + PCB layout soon at mstegen/Open-Chargeport · GitHub

When i was at our Model S Launch party in the Netherlands, i handed out 25 Open Chargeports, just for fun.
I quickly got a lot of request for more boards. I had 25 more PCB's in stock, fitted the parts, and sold them within a day.

But as these were based on a PIC chip + RF transmitter, no enclusure, and hand soldered. It was not something for mass production..

Luckily i found the SI4010 based solution.

I redesigned the board, got rid of all the unnecessary buttons, and had them professionally made.
They are available now (for the European Model S) at Model S Chargeport Opener

Still open source, will post the sourcecode + PCB layout soon at mstegen/Open-Chargeport · GitHub

How small are you able to make the PCB for this? Are you able to get it down to 20x30mm?

I have a small flashlight with an integrated elastic band which is super easy to attach to charging cable connectors. I use one for the J1772 on my other EV. A perfect enclosure for these chargeport openers.

j1772flashlight.jpg

http://www.clasohlson.com/no/Mini-LED-belysning/34-7887