Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting 118kW charging on my ancient S75D !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Shock-On-T

⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️
Jun 26, 2016
Sydney
I’ve never seen charging over 98kW at any state of since the day I bought my car in 2016, and
lately it was usually maxing out at 88-90kW. 145,000km and 4.5 years old.

Today I’m getting 118kW!
I thought it might be an artefact of sudden charging, but actually it started at 110kW at 13%SoC and peaked at 118kW at 21%SoC, tapering off from there. Was still over 100kW at 32%SoC.

I do notice that charging rates go pretty much back to the normal curve after about 45 to 50%. I wonder if Tesla has unlocked some latent charging capacity at low states of charge?
833758BD-808A-4387-836C-050097E11C3F.png

I've got a 2015 P90DL which I've been informed by Tesla has been "slowed" on Superchargers due to excessive DC-DC Charging.
However it has the CCS2 Charging Adaptor upgrade, and Charging Speeds on 3rd Party CCS2 Chargers aren't limited so I've pulled rates around 147kw on these chargers.

(Chargefox Gundagai etc)

That's good to know. I'm doing a roadtrip down to Tassie in a few weeks, hopefully will get some good speeds on CCS2.
To aid with troubleshooting I should say I've also had the CCS2 upgrade, but it was months ago and there was no increase in supercharging speed at the time.

That's good to know. I'm doing a roadtrip down to Tassie in a few weeks, hopefully will get some good speeds on CCS2.
To aid with troubleshooting I should say I've also had the CCS2 upgrade, but it was months ago and there was no increase in supercharging speed at the time.
Tesla Service told me they don't have the ability to control charge speeds on the 3rd Party Chargers.... So you can get faster speeds on those units.

Tesla Service told me they don't have the ability to control charge speeds on the 3rd Party Chargers.... So you can get faster speeds on those units.
That’s interesting that it’s not governed by the car.
The mystery for me is why I was getting such good charging speed from the supercharger. I wonder if the supercharger was malfunctioning in some way and not limiting my car?

I think you will find that the car's BMS is in control of the charging curve. All chargers will supply up to their maximum capacity, it is up to the car to limit the battery charging rate.
I think this is right, that the charge rate is controlled by the BMS, not controlled by the charger. ScanMyTesla reports a maximum charge rate that depends on temperature and SOC. My guess is that Tesla have changed the software.