Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I have a question for Tesla Model 3 owners. Recentry I wanted to experience a super fast charging session (LG Battery - yes I know) at a V3 SC. So, I made sure I got there with warm battery and low state of charge. I got extremely good speed at the starting of the session with a peak of 257kW. However, after about 10-15 minutes the charging power was limited by the BMS so bad that at 45% SOC I was getting about 45 kW. Here is a video explaining what happened:
and the full charging session with Scan My Tesla data:

My question on this forum, did any of you experience somethign like this before? I will like to lear from your experience. Please state if you car is pre-HEAT PUMP model as I suspect something in relation with that.

Thank you in advance,
Florin.

...charging power was limited by the BMS so bad that at 45% SOC I was getting about 45 kW...

Peak means just that: It might not be a long sustainable peak for the whole duration. It can be very short.

It's a nice academic session to replicate what Tesla charge rate claims but I am not worried when the duplication of the claim cannot be verified.

Have you compared with other charging sessions that display the battery temperature? There are multiple factors that affect maximum charging speed. I'm not sure what the "maximum" pack temperature is so I can't say for sure that it's the battery temp that is the limiting factor.
On V2 chargers, the temperature of the handle has caused trouble for some. I understand V3 cables are water-cooled but maybe that particular charger had a problem...
Also, you say "not recommended" in your video. If it's indeed a battery temperature problem, the BMS is stepping in and reducing the charge. There will most probably not be any harm done.

Reactions: zef3215
Have you compared with other charging sessions that display the battery temperature? There are multiple factors that affect maximum charging speed. I'm not sure what the "maximum" pack temperature is so I can't say for sure that it's the battery temp that is the limiting factor.
On V2 chargers, the temperature of the handle has caused trouble for some. I understand V3 cables are water-cooled but maybe that particular charger had a problem...
Also, you say "not recommended" in your video. If it's indeed a battery temperature problem, the BMS is stepping in and reducing the charge. There will most probably not be any harm done.
Yes, I have loads of charging sessions recorded and I'm analyzing them right now.

If you watch the first video to the end (or see the description), my remark "not recommended" refers to the combination of multiple factors which are not recommended combined together. I suspect there is something to do with the temperature management in this car but before I make a final review about that I just wanted to know what other experienced in relation with this matter.

Thank you for your input.

Peak means just that: It might not be a long sustainable peak for the whole duration. It can be very short.

It's a nice academic session to replicate what Tesla charge rate claims but I am not worried when the duplication of the claim cannot be verified.

Well... I did not wanted to replicate or proof anything with this, I just wanted to get fast charge speed on my trip. It was nice to see that peak power even for a split of a second considering the battery pack is LG which is known for charging slower comparing with Panasonic pack. I compare this charging sessions with others and I was indeed getting better charging speed for the initial part of this session compared with other sessions with the same car. My point is that at 45% with the LG battery, you will normally get 90-100 kW yet, in this session the power was limited to approx. 45kW and no regen after.

I really look forward to know if others experienced something like this before with the HEAT-PUMP vs pre-HEAT-PUMP model.

We never saw that issue with our 2018 Model 3 Performance. We would often drive it at highway speeds of 80 mph (~128 kph) so the battery was always preconditioned. We'd often take it down to 5% or less on road trips. It would charge at 250 kW at v3 Superchargers without problems. We never saw quick drops to 45 kW. We didn't have LG batteries, of course.

Reactions: zef3215
We never saw that issue with our 2018 Model 3 Performance. We would often drive it at highway speeds of 80 mph (~128 kph) so the battery was always preconditioned. We'd often take it down to 5% or less on road trips. It would charge at 250 kW at v3 Superchargers without problems. We never saw quick drops to 45 kW. We didn't have LG batteries, of course.
Thank you for your input. After this "incident" I meet a guy with a 2019 M3 Long Range while waiting at SC - you know how that works :) - and told him about my experience. He was quite surprized and made more or less same coments like you did.

During these sessions you mention (SOC starting at 5% and V3) did you remember some instances with +35 degrees Celsius (+95 F) outside and still no power limitations?

Thank you for your input. After this "incident" I meet a guy with a 2019 M3 Long Range while waiting at SC - you know how that works :) - and told him about my experience. He was quite surprized and made more or less same coments like you did.

During these sessions you mention (SOC starting at 5% and V3) did you remember some instances with +35 degrees Celsius (+95 F) outside and still no power limitations?
Yes. As a matter of fact, the first time the car was Supercharged at a v3 Supercharger was in Las Vegas and it was 104F or 40C. It looks like for this specific charging session, Erik arrived at about 7% SoC. It ramped up to 250 kW and 15 minutes into the charge, it was still at 108 kW. It dropped to 45 kW about 30 minutes in, when it was over 85%. It did slow down eventually to 31 kW when at 90% SoC.

Yes. As a matter of fact, the first time the car was Supercharged at a v3 Supercharger was in Las Vegas and it was 104F or 40C. It looks like for this specific charging session, Erik arrived at about 7% SoC. It ramped up to 250 kW and 15 minutes into the charge, it was still at 108 kW. It dropped to 45 kW about 30 minutes in, when it was over 85%. It did slow down eventually to 31 kW when at 90% SoC.
Thank you!