Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting 320Mile charge Constently anyone Else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two situations when it makes sense to charge to 100% when on a road trip (in addition to needing the miles to get to where you’re going):
1. You’re eating while supercharging and the car is waiting for you to finish, rather than you waiting for the car to charge. It might as well charge up to 100%. Note I’m talking about most of the country where you’re lucky to see another Tesla at a supercharger, not southern California.
2. When staying overnight at a hotel with destination charging, charge up to 100% in the morning, just before you leave. It will make your first supercharger stop shorter, or you might even be able to skip the first one.
Technically this is not while ON a road trip but FOR a roadtrip I would add 3. At home before you leave.

Reactions: TexasEV
I have heard that even charging to 100% in Model 3 is not as bad for the battery as S and X because there is more inaccessible juice in the 3 compared to S and X. So while the car might read 100%, the actual SoC is ~90%. If Tesla did indeed set things up this way, this is really smart IMO. It removes the need for the customer to think about managing their battery for longevity. That said, keeping actual SoC lower than 90% is even better, but below 90%, there's rapidly diminishing returns. I think during the peak of summer when the weather is really hot, it still pays to keep the SoC lower.

Find this hard to believe. Tesla’s reserve is on the bottom end, not the top. Only way to know for sure is measure the cell voltages at 100%. Supercharge voltage would also be a good indicator.

Find this hard to believe. Tesla’s reserve is on the bottom end, not the top. Only way to know for sure is measure the cell voltages at 100%. Supercharge voltage would also be a good indicator.

There are reserves at both ends for all Lithium batteries with charge controllers. The the upper limit is constrained by voltage; i.e. when it reaches a programmed voltage, it shuts off charging. This is a critical safety feature to prevent thermal runaway (leading to batteries catching on fire). It is this higher voltage that also encourages dendrite growth that reduces battery capacity over time. So a charge controller set to quit at a slightly lower voltage will automatically leave a bit of reserve at the top while making it harder for the user to stress the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: RenMan68
I fully charged my 3 last night until it shut off, and it was at 310 miles. A couple weeks ago on an almost full charge, it was 311. Then I drove it 30 miles so it wouldn't be sitting at 100%.

How do you change miles to % on a 3? I haven't seen how to do that.

I have never reset my Trip B odometer since it was brand new, and it's showing right about 230 watt hours / mile as its long term average. I'm not afraid to hit the electric pedal in my 3 and GO!!! Got to represent Teslas on the highway by blowing past people in the fast lane!!!

How do you change miles to % on a 3? I haven't seen how to do that.

I have never reset my Trip B odometer since it was brand new, and it's showing right about 230 watt hours / mile as its long term average. I'm not afraid to hit the electric pedal in my 3 and GO!!! Got to represent Teslas on the highway by blowing past people in the fast lane!!!

Settings -> display -> advanced (the thing in the upper right) -> change from range to energy.

How do you change miles to % on a 3?
In the display settings menu:
20180608_191854.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: geometro
There are reserves at both ends for all Lithium batteries with charge controllers. The the upper limit is constrained by voltage; i.e. when it reaches a programmed voltage, it shuts off charging. This is a critical safety feature to prevent thermal runaway (leading to batteries catching on fire). It is this higher voltage that also encourages dendrite growth that reduces battery capacity over time. So a charge controller set to quit at a slightly lower voltage will automatically leave a bit of reserve at the top while making it harder for the user to stress the battery.

Ok, technically, yes you could overcharge above 4.2 V. But this is not considered a “buffer” as the state of charge is truly 100% at 4.20 V. A top buffer would be if Tesla only charged a 4.2 V cell to 4.15 V or some such and I highly doubt that’s the case in the Model 3.

A top buffer would be if Tesla only charged a 4.2 V cell to 4.15 V or some such and I highly doubt that’s the case in the Model 3.
Tesla most certainly leaves room at the top for battery longevity. I think it is 5% for the 18650 form factor and would presumably be the same for the batteries in the Model 3.

I"m not positive, but I think the maximum voltage is set according to the Nernst equation.

Guys. I think we are getting confused over the term “buffer”.

When I say buffer I mean the bricking buffer that is displayed in diagnostic mode. For example, an 85 kWh Model S displayes a bricking buffer of 4.0 kWh. There is no equivalent top “buffer” set in the firmware. The only thing limiting the cells is the maximum charge voltage which is 4.20 V for the cells that Tesla’s use. I do not consider this a buffer, this is an operational design limit of the cells set by Panasonic.

Interesting. I tried a “trip” charge today for the first time, and though I had to leave, it said that I had 312 miles “in the tank”, but also that it would take another 50 minutes to full charge.

Next time I’ll see if I can top it off to completion before setting out on the road.

I've changed twice to 100%, both times getting 297 miles I mostly charge to 70‰ and consistently get 218 miles which would imply 311 miles on a full charge. I'm hoping the 100% charge is "wrong".
Try depleting the battery as low as you dare (I went to about 6 miles left) and then charge it to 100%. That should recalibrate. Mine went from 311 to 316 when I did that. Just don't do it very often.

• Helpful
Reactions: davedavedave