TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Getting 320Mile charge Constently anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by yossi, Jun 6, 2018.

1. yossi

yossi Member

i think the new firmware by mistake opend up more battery left it with 230m and after
    18 hours had 255m i think i can get 340mile charge
    ill keep you posted the next time i am topping it

2. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

Technically this is not while ON a road trip but FOR a roadtrip I would add 3. At home before you leave.

• Like x 1
  3. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Find this hard to believe. Tesla’s reserve is on the bottom end, not the top. Only way to know for sure is measure the cell voltages at 100%. Supercharge voltage would also be a good indicator.

4. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Charged to 100% overnight, remembered to check after a few miles of driving. Showed 312 at that point.

5. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

There are reserves at both ends for all Lithium batteries with charge controllers. The the upper limit is constrained by voltage; i.e. when it reaches a programmed voltage, it shuts off charging. This is a critical safety feature to prevent thermal runaway (leading to batteries catching on fire). It is this higher voltage that also encourages dendrite growth that reduces battery capacity over time. So a charge controller set to quit at a slightly lower voltage will automatically leave a bit of reserve at the top while making it harder for the user to stress the battery.

• Informative x 1
  6. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I fully charged my 3 last night until it shut off, and it was at 310 miles. A couple weeks ago on an almost full charge, it was 311. Then I drove it 30 miles so it wouldn't be sitting at 100%.

How do you change miles to % on a 3? I haven't seen how to do that.

I have never reset my Trip B odometer since it was brand new, and it's showing right about 230 watt hours / mile as its long term average. I'm not afraid to hit the electric pedal in my 3 and GO!!! Got to represent Teslas on the highway by blowing past people in the fast lane!!!

7. SageBrush

SageBrush 2020: Drain the Sewer

Rated miles divided by 310.5

That should get you to within ~ 1/600 accuracy, much better than any old fashioned percent monitor.

8. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Settings -> display -> advanced (the thing in the upper right) -> change from range to energy.

9. Emmexx1

Emmexx1 Member

In the display settings menu:
    20180608_191854.jpg

• Helpful x 1
  10. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Ok, technically, yes you could overcharge above 4.2 V. But this is not considered a “buffer” as the state of charge is truly 100% at 4.20 V. A top buffer would be if Tesla only charged a 4.2 V cell to 4.15 V or some such and I highly doubt that’s the case in the Model 3.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush 2020: Drain the Sewer

Tesla most certainly leaves room at the top for battery longevity. I think it is 5% for the 18650 form factor and would presumably be the same for the batteries in the Model 3.

I"m not positive, but I think the maximum voltage is set according to the Nernst equation.

12. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Guys. I think we are getting confused over the term “buffer”.

When I say buffer I mean the bricking buffer that is displayed in diagnostic mode. For example, an 85 kWh Model S displayes a bricking buffer of 4.0 kWh. There is no equivalent top “buffer” set in the firmware. The only thing limiting the cells is the maximum charge voltage which is 4.20 V for the cells that Tesla’s use. I do not consider this a buffer, this is an operational design limit of the cells set by Panasonic.

13. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

Hmmm... are you using TeslaFi or any other logging app by any chance? That could explain it. If not, I would call the service center!

14. dswansonsb

dswansonsb Member

Not using Tesla Fi.

15. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

Interesting. I tried a “trip” charge today for the first time, and though I had to leave, it said that I had 312 miles “in the tank”, but also that it would take another 50 minutes to full charge.

Next time I’ll see if I can top it off to completion before setting out on the road.

16. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

Try depleting the battery as low as you dare (I went to about 6 miles left) and then charge it to 100%. That should recalibrate. Mine went from 311 to 316 when I did that. Just don't do it very often.

• Helpful x 1