Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Cargo Mat After First Ski Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As you're no doubt aware, there are a ton of accessories out there. While there's a ton of interesting stuff out there, I've tried to take a "wait and see" approach to avoid spending money on stuff that doesn't fill a real need. I've still bought a bunch of stuff but I at least feel like I'm being a little smarter with my purchases. One of the things I've waited on purchasing was a cargo mat. I almost never used the mat that came with my X1, partly because it made it hard to get to the trunk well and partly because I liked using the velcro cargo blocks that I got nearly 20 years ago.

After unpacking the car having returned from my first ski trip in the MY, I referred back to my accessory spreadsheet. :) What changed my mind was
  1. How dirty the cargo area carpet got after just the one trip
  2. How the velcro on the ski boots seemed much harder on the carpet in the cargo area than on previous cars
The carpet isn't stained or anything horrible but it was a significant effort to clean the sand and dog fur out of the back. The velcro from the boots also chewed up the cargo area carpet. I think it's because it has more a felt-like texture that the velcro loves to grab and not let go. Bottom line was that I now felt that a cargo mat wasn't going to sit in the corner of my garage.

Referring back to my notes from earlier research on cargo mats, it came down to getting the 3D Maxpider mats or the Tesmanian mat that was about 1/2 the price. While I've had very good luck going cheap with many of my accessories, after watching Bearded Tesla Guy's reviews of both it seemed that the Maxpider mat was a significant upgrade over the Tesmanian in terms of fit and ease of getting into the well. Remember that the latter consideration was a major frustration with my X1's mat.

Reactions: sevusal
Just want to make people aware of an amazing, durable product. We’ve used them for 3 of our vehicles, including a 3 and a Y. Supremely satisfied as they’re incredibly durable, easy to install, hold up to dogs, and super easy to clean. Not “cheap”, but worth the price. Plaid is beautiful.

As you're no doubt aware, there are a ton of accessories out there. While there's a ton of interesting stuff out there, I've tried to take a "wait and see" approach to avoid spending money on stuff that doesn't fill a real need. I've still bought a bunch of stuff but I at least feel like I'm being a little smarter with my purchases. One of the things I've waited on purchasing was a cargo mat. I almost never used the mat that came with my X1, partly because it made it hard to get to the trunk well and partly because I liked using the velcro cargo blocks that I got nearly 20 years ago.

After unpacking the car having returned from my first ski trip in the MY, I referred back to my accessory spreadsheet. :) What changed my mind was
  1. How dirty the cargo area carpet got after just the one trip
  2. How the velcro on the ski boots seemed much harder on the carpet in the cargo area than on previous cars
The carpet isn't stained or anything horrible but it was a significant effort to clean the sand and dog fur out of the back. The velcro from the boots also chewed up the cargo area carpet. I think it's because it has more a felt-like texture that the velcro loves to grab and not let go. Bottom line was that I now felt that a cargo mat wasn't going to sit in the corner of my garage.

Referring back to my notes from earlier research on cargo mats, it came down to getting the 3D Maxpider mats or the Tesmanian mat that was about 1/2 the price. While I've had very good luck going cheap with many of my accessories, after watching Bearded Tesla Guy's reviews of both it seemed that the Maxpider mat was a significant upgrade over the Tesmanian in terms of fit and ease of getting into the well. Remember that the latter consideration was a major frustration with my X1's mat.
I would get the mat for the dog hair alone.