Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting EV'd at Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I like the idea of folks selfishly taking up supercharger stalls and not even plugging in, I'm not sure how I feel about what is in essence touching someone else's property.

I've argued against unplugging people who are at chargers for a long time, as you don't know what their needs are.

It's a bit harder to justify anybody parking at a supercharger and not plugging in as anything other than forgetful or selfish...

Hmmm....

That's why I like the current way it's set up. If you're charging and locked, then the port is locked too and no one can pull out the Supercharging cable. The idle fees are "punishment" for taking up the spot when you can't charge anymore.

However, it's unlocked, so someone can plug an inconsiderate driver in (how can that damage anything?) and so you're "playing by the rules" and subject to idle fees. If you're low on battery, you get juice. If you didn't need juice, you're subject to idle fees.

Either way, a notice will pop up on your app telling you to basically move your car if you don't want idle fees.

100% charge? I can't think of a reason to charge to 100% at a Supercharger, given that the next one is likely less than 100 miles away. Reasons not to charge to 100% include stressing your battery unnecessarily and, worse, making other users wait another 20 minutes while your car goes from 90% to 100% SOC.

Here is another reason: It takes about a hour for my family to eat lunch or dinner. I plan my long trips to eat at Supercharger stops. Sometimes we are done eating first, sometimes the car reaches 100% first.

Either way I charge more than needed to reach the next Supercharger, because for that stop we will only want to do a short bathroom break and get right back on the road when we are done. The extra charging while eating makes it possible to leave as soon as we are done with the bathroom, never waiting for the car to charge for an entire 600+ mile day.

This is with a 270-mile S85D. With a 310-mile TM3 LR long trips should be super easy. A 330-mile S100D should also be good, but the 3 should supercharge faster (> mi/hr).

GSP

Reactions: Dr. J
I can provide perfect examples of why you need to charge to 100% at Superchargers:

Going from Mt Shasta to Reno you can drive down I-15 and take I-80 using a Supercharger at Corning. It is much closer driving through Lassen National Forest and Susanville. You can make it with a 100% charge on an 85 if you drive slowly, or you can use an HPWC at the Susanville Red Lion during a lunch break to allow driving faster.

I also drove from Houston to Tulsa. I skipped Dallas by charging at Huntsville, Lindale and Sulphur Springs. I needed a 100% charge to make it to Tulsa from Sulphur Spirngs. I could have gone way out of the way and encountered much more traffic if I had gone through Dallas and Oklahoma City.

I think that's the way to go. For those plugged in (the other 8 or 10 stalls), I had no idea what their state of charge was. If they're done, then they get hit with idle fees.

If you just park there without being plugged in, you aren't being charged idle fees. You're taking up a valuable spot (there was a Model S that arrived a few min after me and was waiting) and not getting any corrective action. Sure, a note would let them know. But an official charge from Tesla would bring things across more resoundingly. I checked my map and headed to this one because it looked like it had a couple spots open. I was already pretty far in the Yellow and I really needed to charge. That's why I was so annoyed. I only needed 15 minutes or so of Supercharging in order to go where I had to go and then make it home.

I just tested my car. Left my phone FAR away. Tried it with my mobile adapter in my garage. Car was locked and it let me plug in. Just wouldn't let me pull the plug out.

I don't mind them charging to 100. This is a stop on the way to Lake Tahoe. It's mostly uphill and with the amount of traffic, I can see people getting nervous and wanting a full charge to make sure they can hit the next Supercharger at the top of the mountain. Just don't take up a Supercharger if you're not charging at all.
Park in front of their car and have a long lunch. The first time they come out trapped will be the last time they park there.

100% charge? I can't think of a reason to charge to 100% at a Supercharger, given that the next one is likely less than 100 miles away. Reasons not to charge to 100% include stressing your battery unnecessarily and, worse, making other users wait another 20 minutes while your car goes from 90% to 100% SOC.
Three reasons I can think of; ND, AK, and West TX

There are still gaps in the network that are very wide in spots. ND in particular, which right now is empty of SC. Tesla has three SC in permitting last I checked but even then a LR Model 3 or a 100D S still needs a full charge, and maybe even a short top-off in Estevan, SK (which has a free public 90A L2), to reach the SC currently in permitting in Regina, SK. There's also another gap from Lethbridge, AB (saving a lot of distance driving through BC) to Missoula, MT (worse headed South than North because of elevation changes at the South end).

Even more gaps show up when you've got a shorter range configuration, or you're head to end destinations that are in-between the network mesh and don't have reliable charging available but want to spend time there and drive around locally for a few days.

Also, there are already a few owners that are living without home charging (they live in an apartment without plug-in support, etc.). That's a tough row to hoe, and they seem likely to take their charge up to or near 100% when they do make it to the SC.

Last edited:
I'd say it's pretty accurate, if not a tiny bit conservative.

And yes, if you're at a spot that wasn't shared, but then another car pulls up and starts sharing, it does affect the rate of charge and the App will update. I do check periodically while charging.
Thanks for the info. That seems like the habit to build, periodic checking of your time left and/or setting an early alarm timer, so you don't get surprised by the 5 min gap between reaching 100% charge and getting charged for charger blocking.

Some people still think it's Ev parking spot.
People aren't that bright nowadays..... Who parks at the gas station and not fill up? Common sense right? Apparently not for everyone.

It's a charging spot, when your done move out.... Simple. People are just ignorant or dumb

Reactions: SSonnentag
I think that's the way to go. For those plugged in (the other 8 or 10 stalls), I had no idea what their state of charge was. If they're done, then they get hit with idle fees.

If you just park there without being plugged in, you aren't being charged idle fees. You're taking up a valuable spot (there was a Model S that arrived a few min after me and was waiting) and not getting any corrective action. Sure, a note would let them know. But an official charge from Tesla would bring things across more resoundingly. I checked my map and headed to this one because it looked like it had a couple spots open. I was already pretty far in the Yellow and I really needed to charge. That's why I was so annoyed. I only needed 15 minutes or so of Supercharging in order to go where I had to go and then make it home.

I just tested my car. Left my phone FAR away. Tried it with my mobile adapter in my garage. Car was locked and it let me plug in. Just wouldn't let me pull the plug out.

I don't mind them charging to 100. This is a stop on the way to Lake Tahoe. It's mostly uphill and with the amount of traffic, I can see people getting nervous and wanting a full charge to make sure they can hit the next Supercharger at the top of the mountain. Just don't take up a Supercharger if you're not charging at all.

That may works with the Model S, but it doesn't work with the Model X and the Model 3. Their charge port won't open when locked, period.

Some people still think it's Ev parking spot.
People aren't that bright nowadays..... Who parks at the gas station and not fill up? Common sense right? Apparently not for everyone.

It's a charging spot, when your done move out.... Simple. People are just ignorant or dumb

Or a few years of having very low traffic at the SC has taught them that it was basically a parking spot. Hopefully with a little time experiencing increasing traffic flow, and some gentle, loving notes ;) they'll adjust and relearn.

If someone is not plugging in to avoid idle charges, then they might also pull into the spot nose first. This would prevent anyone from plugging them in.

If someone is going to cheat the system, they are going to cheat. Especially after the first time someone plugs them in and they get idle fees.

I do wonder if the towing company for the lot (phone number listed on a sign when you enter a private lot) would tow a car improperly parked in a supercharger spot. My experience is that those towing companies are basically running an extortion racket so that might work.

I do wonder if the towing company for the lot (phone number listed on a sign when you enter a private lot) would tow a car improperly parked in a supercharger spot. My experience is that those towing companies are basically running an extortion racket so that might work.
I'd hesitate to call in on a car that might have been parked with intent to charge and they forgot to plug in the cable. If it's parked out of reach of the cable though.....

I don't get it though, why park like that when you could park at the restaurant etc. and just drive over later, no walking involved? I'm missing something here?