Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting gas - how quickly we forget

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
Driving my ICE, as my MS has taken up residence at the body shop (the seemingly endless "awaiting parts").

Got gas a few days ago, and next thing I know the Check engine light came on. Turned out to be a loose gas cap. How quickly we forget the steps involved in that distasteful activity :smile:

Yes, there is strange public perception that EVs are actually harder to "refuel" than ICE vehicles.

They don't understand that for most owners, the car "refuels" in your sleep, and you seldom or ever have to wait long periods to recharge.

I think the EV industry does itself a disservice anytime they use wording like >4 hour charging or even 1 hour. It's rarely an issue most EV owners deal with on a routine basis. The public thinks that you constantly have Range Anxiety, and it takes hours to refuel, when in fact most driving in the US is less than 50 miles in a day.

Yes, there is strange public perception that EVs are actually harder to "refuel" than ICE vehicles.

They don't understand that for most owners, the car "refuels" in your sleep, and you seldom or ever have to wait long periods to recharge.

I think the EV industry does itself a disservice anytime they use wording like >4 hour charging or even 1 hour. It's rarely an issue most EV owners deal with on a routine basis. The public thinks that you constantly have Range Anxiety, and it takes hours to refuel, when in fact most driving in the US is less than 50 miles in a day.

I have mentioned this on here before. I also hate when magazine reviews say it takes 8 hours to charge or whatever. They fail to specify that it only takes that long if you're charging from 0% to 100% which doesn't happen in real life. It makes people think that you have to stop one or twice a week at a public charger for 8 hours. As we know, that's not the case at all and it's a gasoline mindset.

I usually ask non-EV owners two questions when they mention range anxiety. 1) If you start your day with a full tank of gas in your car, how often would you need to refuel again that same day? They say "never" which is basically what happens with an EV charging at home. 2) If you had a gas pump in your garage, would you top-off every day and how convenient would that be?

Most weeks I spend less than 1 minute refueling vs perhaps 20 when driving an ICE. At one point I think I went about 5 months only charging overnight at home so maybe 10 minutes total over those 5 months.

On trips involving supercharger stops it may take longer but instead of standing around a gas pump for 5 or 10 minutes I'm sitting in a café for 30 or however long I want. I'll take the café.

This is similar to traveling by train vs air. End to end time for air may be less but involves a gob of wasted time standing in lines, getting to the next place to stand in line, sitting for a few minutes at the gate, and overall just a ton of interruptions. Train may take longer but involves massively less wasted time and provides for much more productive time.