Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting homelink installed post purchase on 2017 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our Model S in mid 2017 and on ordering was told it had homelink.

It said it had it but we could never get it to work. We let it go. I hassled Tesla a little before we were due to pickup our model 3 and the service department tells me it was a firmware error and it didn't have it.

Fast forward to late 2019 and we pick up our model 3, it was ordered pre-June 30 and the order page said it came with homelink and Tesla installed it post purchase gratis a couple months back.

It's pretty handy, we want it for our model S.

I didn't argue about getting it gratis on the model S, too much time had elapsed and it wasn't worth the argument, but I did make an appointment via the app to have it installed as a chargable item, it was for two weeks later as a mobile appt.

Two hours before the appointed time, I get a call from the tech telling me that homelink can't be installed on a model S post purchase.

Has anybody had it installed post purchase on their S ?

TLDR: model S didn't come with homelink, try to get it installed and Tesla accept appt but cancel it two hours before appt and say it can't be installed post purchase. WTF?

We did exactly the same, after enjoying the Homelink experience on our Model 3, we booked our 2016 S in for the conversion, and actually turned up to be told, oops sorry, we can't do it.

If you look at one of the original Homelink threads you will see some have had it installed, but had to import the module themselves, then ask the Tesla Service Centre very nicely to install it, and update software.
Let us know what you decide.

There are a few threads. I think the thread I saw was called:
Making homelink work In equipped model S/X/3
November 26, 2018 • 72 posts • 6791 views
Australia