Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting limited regen even after 1 hour of preheating, is it normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. kW is a unit of power, and kWh is a unit of energy. If you draw 1 kW for an hour, that is 1 kWh.
I was asking because I'm amazed that the heaters are pulling 12kW. So having the car plugged in doesn't take the full load off the battery when the heaters are on. I thought that the battery heater was around 2kW didn't think it was that big. That's why I was asking about if it was using 12kWh.

No, it's really 11-12 kW if both the pack heater and the cabin heater are on full power. And yes, if you're plugged into 110V it's nowhere near enough to heat the car.

In fact at -20C there isn't enough power from 110V to charge the car. All it does is sit there forever lamely trying to warm the pack up enough to start charging. Before Tesla did a software update to prevent it, the car would actually lose charge in that situation!

Also, if you have half the regeneration available, the car does not behave very differently from a fully available 100% regeneration. The real challenge, I find, is starting with zero regeneration which makes the car a little scary to drive! :)
I definitely agree with this. People seem to be losing their minds if there is any limit to the regen at all, but it just isn't all that different if it's a little limited. But yes, completely gone regen is freaky and surprising.

I definitely agree with this. People seem to be losing their minds if there is any limit to the regen at all, but it just isn't all that different if it's a little limited. But yes, completely gone regen is freaky and surprising.

Limited/half regen is very noticeable at higher speeds. Once the car slows down, it starts feeling normal. I guess the full regen is only 30kW at slower speeds anyway so it makes sense.

I think we should ask why do we want regen in the winter? The effort to get the battery warm uses far more energy than the amount regenerated. The regen can be dangerous while driving at speed on icy roads and suddenly lifting ones foot off the accelerator pedal.

I turn the regen down to low during the cold seasons to have a consistent driving experience.

I think we should ask why do we want regen in the winter? The effort to get the battery warm uses far more energy than the amount regenerated. The regen can be dangerous while driving at speed on icy roads and suddenly lifting ones foot off the accelerator pedal.

I turn the regen down to low during the cold seasons to have a consistent driving experience.

Regen can create a lot of energy. If you have 60kW of regen available and you're going on a drive with a good amount of stop-and-go, you can easily recover what you put-in to warm the battery and be net positive. It, of course, depends on the drive. If it is a highway drive, then no, which is what range mode is for....not to waste energy warming the battery when regen isn't going to be used anyway. Why would a Tesla spend battery energy warming itself if not for a potential (and probable) regen gain?

Tesla released the new Tesla Mobile App which allows you to preheat your battery. If you have firmware 2017.50 and above, it will work. Here is a link to Electrek:

Tesla releases new mobile app update with battery preconditioning feature and more

If anyone preheats you battery, please go out to the car and see if Range Mode is turned off when you turn on preheat. If Range Mode is on, it limits the amperage going to the battery. If it turns off, if will be interesting to see if it turns back on after preheating is complete.