Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting seatbelt warning with child seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep getting a seatbelt warning when I install our car seat using the LATCH system. It's not really even the weight, since just installing the base of our Chicco Keyfit, without the car seat itself, gives me a warning. I have the seat secure, no movement laterally of more than an inch, so obviously it's putting down a lot of force onto the seat, but I don't have this same issue on my X with a lot heavier car seat and a toddler in it vs a newborn.

Aloha Flyinghawaiian,

I don't have a 3, but my new S, has the back seat passenger warning, anyway long story short, I bought a seat belt extension from Amazon, and stuck it in to stop getting the false seatbelt unbuckled when my daughter leans on the middle seat.

I am thinking its the same issue your having...

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will and JPUConn
I had the same issue with our car seat. Ended up doing a center mount with the seatbelt and there is no warning since the belt is buckled.

If you only have on car seat consider the center position with then seatbelt. It works great in our model 3!

Really? How would one mount 3 car seats across then?
You can install a seat-belt secured child seat in the center. However, there are only LATCH points for the two outer seats.

That said, while I imagine 3 seats might be doable in a pinch, I think I'd opt for the model S if I needed 3 seats installed for daily use. I'd also invest in Tylenol. I have one kiddo and she keeps me busy. I couldn't imagine three of her in the backseat :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: Rich966
By starting birth control after the second one?
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Acps110
The manual specifically states not to center mount a child seat. I know in other cars you can though.

No, the manual specifically says not to mount using the LACTCH quick lock releases in the canter. Those are only for outboard seats.

The safest place for a single child seat is center mounted tightly with the center seatbelt. This has been independently varidied by crash tests and makes logical sense.

I wanted to use the quick lock LATCH too, but realized there are weight limits etc. so I just learned how to tightly buckle down the base in Model 3 and Model S. It appears to be just as tight as the LATCH system.

The center car seat position also allows the front seats to be further back for more comfortable driver and passanger.

Ah, I see. It sounds as though my original thought was correct: centre-mounted child seat is okay, but the LATCH connectors are only for the outboard seats. Yes, I believe the LATCH connectors are only good to a child weight of ~40lbs (depends on the weight of the seat itself). I haven't had to worry about that as our 18yo car doesn't have LATCH anchors :)

I would LOVE to have a Model S with the 2 rear-facing seats. Alas, even the cheapest used ones are above my price range.

Ah, I see. It sounds as though my original thought was correct: centre-mounted child seat is okay, but the LATCH connectors are only for the outboard seats. Yes, I believe the LATCH connectors are only good to a child weight of ~40lbs (depends on the weight of the seat itself). I haven't had to worry about that as our 18yo car doesn't have LATCH anchors :)

I would LOVE to have a Model S with the 2 rear-facing seats. Alas, even the cheapest used ones are above my price range.

For what it’s worth. Putting kids in the rear jump seats is not as safe as proper car seats in the 2nd row. I understand the appeal of being able to move around 7 people but both the AC and safety in the model S trunk is subpar for passengers.

• Disagree
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Yes, I believe the LATCH connectors are only good to a child weight of ~40lbs (depends on the weight of the seat itself).

This is a good point that I only realized after going back and reading my car seat manual again a few months ago. Luckily my son was still under 40 lbs at the time, but I never would have realized this otherwise. So I will highlight it in case anyone else doesn't know.

One of the few things I wish the 3 had that it didn't was a 5th LATCH point like my old S 85. It allowed for a center mounted seat with LATCH. I think they even took that out of the S now, though.

I thought the limit was a combined weight of 65 lbs. Is Tesla's latch system different?

I was actually surprised to see LATCH connections in the 3 at all. Every car seat I've owned either didn't support LATCH at all or preferred being secured by a seat belt. IIRC the only reason they exist anymore is that it's an outdated NHTSA/NTSB requirement. I remember when they first started showing up- it was before shoulder belts on rear seats were common...

That said, I do dislike how hard most car seats are on the seat belts...

For what it’s worth. Putting kids in the rear jump seats is not as safe as proper car seats in the 2nd row. I understand the appeal of being able to move around 7 people but both the AC and safety in the model S trunk is subpar for passengers.

True. The main difference is that if we want to go anywhere with anyone outside of our family (i.e. when my mother visits), they all drive in the car and I ride my bike to meet them because we're out of seats. While I love the excuse for a ride, it limits our activities within a ~25km circle.

Given that the S is the safest car in the world, short trips with kids in the rear-most seats are probably (my impression here, no stats to back this up) safer than anywhere in many other vehicles.

Page 26 of the Model 3 manual says the LATCH limit 65 lbs. for kid and seat together. However, your car seat will also have a limit, so you should use whichever is lower obviously.

View attachment 291710

Yes, well described here. I was trying to be efficient in my post, but it came out vague. If you look at your car seat manual, it will likely give an idea of how much it weighs. For example our car seat manuals state that the child weight maximum is 40 lbs assuming a 65 lb LATCH (or LUAS as they are known here) weight maximum.

The key is to read the manual of your specific vehicle as well as your specific car seats.