Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting shocked every time I leave the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else get shocked every time when they're getting out of the car or when you touch the door to close it after getting out? It's pretty annoying but doesnt seem right obviously. Have a service scheduled to look at it but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Reactions: macanjr
Does anyone else get shocked every time when they're getting out of the car or when you touch the door to close it after getting out? It's pretty annoying but doesnt seem right obviously. Have a service scheduled to look at it but wanted to see what you guys thought.
Do you get shocked all of the time or only when the vehicle is plugged in?

If the EVSE is not connected to a proper earth ground, or if the EVSE uses a power plug such as the 10-30 that does not have a pin for an earth ground and relies on the neutral connection then you could receive a shock when touching the vehicle chassis. A faulty electrical component within the vehicle's charging system could energize the vehicle chassis, when you touch metal parts of the vehicle you could get shocked. Tesla does offer a 10-30 power plug adapter however some EVSE manufacturers, including ClipperCreek, don't offer EVSEs with the older 10-30 and 10-50 power plugs for this reason.

All the time. I even hesitate to close my door now because I know im gonna get shocked when I touch it. Never had this happen in any of my other vehicles.
Is this a brief shock like what happens when you walk on nylon carpet while wearing socks, then touch a hand rail and there is a discharge of static electricity or is it a continuous jolt of electricity? If continuous, I would stop driving the vehicle, schedule a service appointment ASAP. I wish I could offer some better advice. If it is a shock from static electricity then try closing the door by gently pushing on the outside of the driver's door glass window. Glass is a poor conductor of electricity so you would not get shocked. Don't hold the top edge of the window because the window will close as the door is shut.

Is this a brief shock like what happens when you walk on nylon carpet while wearing socks, then touch a hand rail and there is a discharge of static electricity or is it a continuous jolt of electricity? If continuous, I would stop driving the vehicle, schedule a service appointment ASAP. I wish I could offer some better advice. If it is a shock from static electricity then try closing the door by gently pushing on the outside of the driver's door glass window. Glass is a poor conductor of electricity so you would not get shocked. Don't hold the top edge of the window because the window will close as the door is shut.

It is only on the initial touch after getting out of the car. Not continuous at all thankfully or I would for sure stop driving it. Just seems weird as I have never had this happen on a car before.