Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Texas Model Y Performance VIN Assigned Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of us waiting for a 4680 vehicle, it is now quite clear that the number one goal of the new battery is for increased profit for Tesla.
Forget range, weight, or efficiency and say goodbye to any price drop. In fact, if we raise all the model Ys by another $1000, the MY S+ will look like a bargain.

The new cells are honestly a huge disappointment. They promised cheaper for the same range and more total range. So far it just seems instead they will put in fewer batteries and take the money, and may actually make the new cells perform worse than they could.

In the MY S +, the reported battery capacity has dropped from 77kw to 68kw, with efficiency remaining the same and a reduction in range. The SAME. What about that huge efficiency gain talked about on battery day? Remember when Tesla touted that the 4680 produces six times the power and five times the energy capacity, while significantly reducing the cost?

Well, they remembered the "significantly reducing cost" part, and that's for Tesla, not the consumer. A great plan to increase Tesla's profit margins. Congrats to the bean counters who rule the front office now. Sorry bud, you thought that cost reduction was for you. How silly of you! Yes, that should move Tesla's profit margin from 30 to 40% for the Model Y.

The huge touting of the weight savings appears to have amounted to 25 pounds. Wow. A small bag of dog food.

It appears, for now, we will only see 4680s in the MY S+, a vehicle with the SAME efficiency, less range, and a hefty price tag. I'd say $55k to $57k. I wouldn't expect the 4680s in other vehicles for at least a year until the new battery factories are up and running.

Fooled me. I really thought the MYP would be the first to receive 4680s, with its higher price, but the bean counters had an even better idea, the MY S + to improve margins! They will fly out of the factory in droves because the average consumer doesn't know the difference.

Fool me once, fool me twice..... There won't always be an abundance of fools.
All true. As context though, we need to remember for every 1,000 Tesla customers/potential customers paying attention to any of this, there are 100,000 more typical buyers not looking closely at specs, not reading forums, not paying much attention to Tesla-centric web sites and social media influencers, but just lining up and waving money. And another 1,000 on reddit and twitter who still believe 4680 is magical, structural pack and front casting will save huge amounts of weight, bringing MY down to M3 weight....and must have it.

Remember when Tesla touted that the 4680 produces six times the power and five times the energy capacity
This was always a misleading statement. The volume of a 4680 battery is 5.5x that of a 2170 battery... so it's no surprise they'd have 5-6x the power and capacity. Tesla has also improved the chemistry on the 2170s since battery day.

Now interestingly despite the car weighing more, the EPA docs do suggest the MYSR has a higher specific energy than the LR/P (180 Wh/kg instead of 165). That suggests front cast and perhaps whatever reinforcements they needed to add to support the structural battery actually increased the weight pretty significantly.

This was always a misleading statement. The volume of a 4680 battery is 5.5x that of a 2170 battery... so it's no surprise they'd have 5-6x the power and capacity. Tesla has also improved the chemistry on the 2170s since battery day.

Now interestingly despite the car weighing more, the EPA docs do suggest the MYSR has a higher specific energy than the LR/P (180 Wh/kg instead of 165). That suggests front cast and perhaps whatever reinforcements they needed to add to support the structural battery actually increased the weight pretty significantly.
In short, there was some serious overspin SOMEWHERE in there.