Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On vacation now, driving a brand new (June build) Austin 4680 dual motor thanks to Turo. Speaking as someone who drives a ’22 LR, and owned a 2019 3P stealth, the build quality on the Austin car is higher. Fit is better than the other two, which I really had no complaints about. Ride is slightly better than the ’22 but that’s prob just the suspension tweaks the Y got generally. Not noticing anything different in handling or body stiffness but it’s true Im not exactly tracking the car. The owner is letting me peg charging at 100 percent and it maxes out at “278” whatever that means. Not much else to report, no squeaks, rattles ... tight car. But so is the ’22 LR.

DOT, EPA testing.
Same thing was evident with MY back when the MY-AWD was imminent.
A couple transporters with cars sent for outside tests got the Internet hopping, hoping, and wishing.

It's getting there but it's not there yet.

EPA tests are done internally by Tesla, you don't have to ship them anywhere to do that. Maybe you are under the misguided perception that the EPA actually tests cars on a regular basis?

• EPA numbers are self reported and only a small number of car models each year are chosen for random testing. In 2017 that percentage was near 9.58% (0.0958 if I got the math right).

• For example in 2017 the EPA tested 0 Tesla cars. Same for 2018 as well. Same for 2021 (since I just checked while editing this post).
See Data on Cars used for Testing Fuel Economy | US EPA for the raw data.

Go ahead and download the list for 2021 and 2022 and tell us which cars have been tested by the EPA (I'll give you a clue I've looked at the list for 2021 and 2022 and all the Tesla models were self reported). That's marked in the "Test Originator" column. Try 2023 or 2020 if you like, go back as far as you want and tell me which years you found a Tesla vehicle tested by anyone other than MFR.

DOT, do tell what tests do the DOT do? I mean I know about DOT inspections for vehicles over 10,000 pounds, but what would the DOT test for a light duty passenger truck?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pricedm
EPA tests are done internally by Tesla, you don't have to ship them anywhere to do that. Maybe you are under the misguided perception that the EPA actually tests cars on a regular basis?

• EPA numbers are self reported and only a small number of car models each year are chosen for random testing. In 2017 that percentage was near 9.58% (0.0958 if I got the math right).

• For example in 2017 the EPA tested 0 Tesla cars. Same for 2018 as well. Same for 2021 (since I just checked while editing this post).
See Data on Cars used for Testing Fuel Economy | US EPA for the raw data.

Go ahead and download the list for 2021 and 2022 and tell us which cars have been tested by the EPA (I'll give you a clue I've looked at the list for 2021 and 2022 and all the Tesla models were self reported). That's marked in the "Test Originator" column. Try 2023 or 2020 if you like, go back as far as you want and tell me which years you found a Tesla vehicle tested by anyone other than MFR.

DOT, do tell what tests do the DOT do? I mean I know about DOT inspections for vehicles over 10,000 pounds, but what would the DOT test for a light duty passenger truck?
Regardless, these are NOT customer deliveries, this is entirely as the MY-AWD production process developed.
There are tests that Tesla is not equipped to perform as well, going to outside vendors for review, etc.

Bottom line - CT is getting there, but it's not there yet. Chill. Minutiae matters not.

Reactions: jsight and CSFTN
Regardless, these are NOT customer deliveries, this is entirely as the MY-AWD production process developed.
There are tests that Tesla is not equipped to perform as well, going to outside vendors for review, etc.

Bottom line - CT is getting there, but it's not there yet. Chill. Minutiae matters not.
Are you sure you are not the minutiae spreader? Who said these were customer deliveries?

Reactions: jsight
DOT, EPA testing.
Same thing was evident with MY back when the MY-AWD was imminent.
A couple transporters with cars sent for outside tests got the Internet hopping, hoping, and wishing.

It's getting there but it's not there yet.
Yep, this is just another significant, necessary step in the process of getting real deliveries done. It is just months away now!

9 cybertrucks from Texas showed up at the tesla factory in Fremont, (3 per car carrier with 3 semis hauling them).

This is in addition to the semi hauling 3 cybertrucks heading east from Texas into the midwest (last seen in Indiana).

and in addition to more piling up at the Gigafactory in Texas.

If they keep showing up at this rate we'll have production rate estimates soon.

1692328383659.png

1692328335728.png

1692328477437.jpeg

How many of you are fully in buying a Cybertruck? I reserved, but have a Model Y as a placeholder yet got sagged on the price and with current interest rates, not so sure. Wondering how many are similar or fully committed
9 cybertrucks from Texas showed up at the tesla factory in Fremont, (3 per car carrier with 3 semis hauling them).

This is in addition to the semi hauling 3 cybertrucks heading east from Texas into the midwest (last seen in Indiana).

and in addition to more piling up at the Gigafactory in Texas.

If they keep showing up at this rate we'll have production rate estimates soon.

View attachment 965997
View attachment 965995

View attachment 965998

?

I was expecting a faster ramp at Texas. At this rate the price drop I'm looking for might slide into next year.

Browsing around X today I came over this nugget in a post from Tesla Thomas. Ten or so years ago - the S85 RWD era - he worked in sales and had an interview with Jerome Guillen:

In my second interview with Jerome, after he had drilled me on how many more cars, we could sell, after a hypothetical introduction of AWD, (which I wouldn’t answer because I simply didn’t know the numbers in my market at the time) he said this: We will spend the next 10 years scaling, and then it will be time to turn the screws". The price cuts that Wall Street is panicking about have been in the planning for OVER A DECADE. This is when Tesla takes market share. Of course, Elon says, we need more than Tesla to make EVs, but also Tesla want to sell as many cars as possible. This is when we make the it hurt.

Full tweet:

Brought this message in since we had been discussing it here.

"In my second interview with Jerome, after he had drilled me on how many more cars, we could sell, after a hypothetical introduction of AWD, (which I wouldn’t answer because I simply didn’t know the numbers in my market at the time) he said this: We will spend the next 10 years scaling, and then it will be time to turn the screws". The price cuts that Wall Street is panicking about have been in the planning for OVER A DECADE. This is when Tesla takes market share. Of course, Elon says, we need more than Tesla to make EVs, but also Tesla want to sell as many cars as possible. This is when we make the it hurt."

I still can't say when but I'm still expecting those price cuts for Model Y.