Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ron J.

MY LR, Blue-Bk, OD 9/30/21 - Delivered 5/26/22
Nov 20, 2021
Fort Myers, FL
It appears that the new Austin Texas Gigafactory is hoping to begin production of Model Y's starting in late December 2021, or early Jan. 2022 with the first deliveries to customers perhaps in January. Up until now all Model Y's sold in the USA have been build at Tesla's Fremont CA assembly plant. As we approach the end of December and early January, a few of us with Model Y's on order may receive a message from Tesla with a VIN indicating their Model Y will be coming from the Austin TX Gigafactory. The 11th character in the VIN will either be a "F" indicating Fremont or an "A" indicating Austin as the location of the assembly plant producing that vehicle.

I'm starting this thread for those with Model Y's scheduled for delivery in Jan. 2022 (or later) to report where their vehicle is being built, So please watch out for the message from Tesla that includes the vehicle's VIN and after checking the 11th character (either a "F" or "A", post your findings here.

Any guess when the first VIN will be seen with Austin indicated as the factory location?

Some interesting Youtube links:

Last edited:
It appears that the new Austin Texas Gigafactory is hoping to begin production of Model Y's starting in late December 2021, or early Jan. 2022 with the first deliveries to customers perhaps in January. Up until now all Model Y's sold in the USA have been build at Tesla's Fremont CA assembly plant. As we approach the end of December and early January, a few of us with Model Y's on order may receive a message from Tesla with a VIN indicating their Model Y will be coming from the Austin TX Gigafactory. The 11th character in the VIN will either be a "F" indicating Fremont or an "A" indicating Austin as the location of the assembly plant producing that vehicle.

I'm starting this thread for those with Model Y's scheduled for delivery in Jan. 2022 (or later) to report where their vehicle is being built, So please watch out for the message from Tesla that includes the vehicle's VIN and after checking the 11th character (either a "F" or "A", post your findings here.

Any guess when the first VIN will be seen with Austin indicated as the factory location?

I watch Joe’s videos every few days. I find his the best of them all. Unfortunately, I don’t expect to see the first VIN for at least 6 weeks, if all goes well. They just applied for regulatory approval for start internet Dec 31.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I switched my MYLR on 11-17 to a MYP and my EDD went from June 2022 to January 10-Feb 7 2022. I’m hoping that sticks and I’m not really sure where I’d rather have manufactured…I have mixed feelings about that but am really looking forward to a blue MYP in my driveway.
I'm hoping for a Fremont, California made MYP because I have driven past that factory many times over the years from the time it was owned by Toyota through Tesla. Would be nice to get a car built from there. Second, I wanted to help out my home state's economy a bit. Third, Fremont has more experience building the cars so perhaps that means less glitches until Austin works out any production issues. I'll probably end up with a Fremont car since my EDD is 11/29/2021-12/27/2021.

I'm hoping for a Fremont, California made MYP because I have driven past that factory many times over the years from the time it was owned by Toyota through Tesla. Would be nice to get a car built from there. Second, I wanted to help out my home state's economy a bit. Third, Fremont has more experience building the cars so perhaps that means less glitches until Austin works out any production issues. I'll probably end up with a Fremont car since my EDD is 11/29/2021-12/27/2021.
It is true that no manufacturer has perfected QAQC on a new production line at the beginning and Tesla is no exception. Sh*t will happen 100%. While parts are more advanced, the final assembly will not be up to standard at the very beginning.

Austin will be for east coast production, so I am sure yours would come from Fremont

I posted the following info on another thread in response to a discussion of when the new 4680 batteries will start being used in Model Y's, I thought it would be appropriate to also post it here:

I don't believe anyone outside of Tesla knows the true story on when we can actually take delivery of a Model Y with the 4680 cells. The Tesla Kato Rd. facility in Fremont has been producing 4680 batteries for the past few months, but not in massive quantities that the gigafactories will be capable of producing in the future. At the company’s Q3 2021 earnings call in early October, Tesla senior VP Drew Baglino said that first vehicles with 4680 cells would be delivered in early 2022. It appears that given the Austin Model Y production rate will start off slow then ramp up during the course of 2022, it may be possible the supply of batteries from the Kato Rd. plant will be sufficient to meet the quantities needed for the Austin built Model Y's until their own battery production begins sometime during 2022.

Reactions: SFSolarPower
Don’t get your hopes up on on a 4680 Model Y anytime soon. Elon needs to fulfill Semi and CT orders and crash tests for Model Y with 4680 etc need to be done as well. Grab a Snickers.
The cyber truck will not begin production until late 2022 according to Elon at the Oct. shareholders meeting. Therefore, the CT will not be sucking up the supply of 4680 batteries for another year and by then the Austin battery production should be underway. It does appear, from multiple sources, that the Kato Rd. facility will be shipping 4680 batteries (or perhaps complete structure battery packs) to Austin. Will these be put into production MY's and when this will happen is speculation, but my own best guess there will be MY's produced in Austin using 4680 batteries starting in early 2022.

Don’t get your hopes up on on a 4680 Model Y anytime soon. Elon needs to fulfill Semi and CT orders and crash tests for Model Y with 4680 etc need to be done as well. Grab a Snickers.
4680 priority is the Model Y, not the semi or Cybertruck. Only after Giga-Austin is pumping out Model Y's in volume are they going to bother working to get the other two production lines open... that's straight from Elon/Tesla.

We also know they've made references to them building 4680 cars late this year with possibly delivering some in the first quarter. I doubt that will happen, but I see no reason why they won't start making 4680 cars in the Q12022 and delivering them in Q2.

How will Tesla handle two different factories producing same model with different batteries (with possibly different ranges) and different structural pieces? Perhaps they will start using the new battery on MYP (and produce MYP exclusively in Austin) while they work on making Fremont and Austin produce the same vehicle. If not won’t it be a mess with different parts of the country getting substantially different vehicles with no way of controlling what you get?

How will Tesla handle two different factories producing same model with different batteries (with possibly different ranges) and different structural pieces? Perhaps they will start using the new battery on MYP (and produce MYP exclusively in Austin) while they work on making Fremont and Austin produce the same vehicle. If not won’t it be a mess with different parts of the country getting substantially different vehicles with no way of controlling what you get?
I also share the same concern with Austin producing a "refreshed" version of the MY while Fremont produces MY's without the refresh and the customer doesn't know which one they are getting. I suspect that during the transition period (i.e., until the Fremont plant gets upgraded) Tesla will only keep the MY specs. as they are now while some customers may actually get a refreshed version with some improved capabilities.

Below is a excerpt from a story on Torque News (link: Tesla Confirms Refreshed Model Y With 4680 Cells & New Architecture Will Begin Deliveries Early 2022 | Torque News) discussing the October Tesla earnings call:

"One such update was a question regarding the delivery timeline of the refreshed Model Y with 4680 cells and a structural battery pack. In the call, Tesla’s Senior Vice President of Powertrain and Energy Engineering, Drew Baglino answer the question by saying.

[we expect the first vehicles to be delivered with 4680 cells] early next year. From a none cell perspective structural battery crash, range, and reliability testing are on track to be completed this quarter. Testing to date has gone well and the Fremont manufacturing line [Keto Road 4680 manufacturing plant] is on track to support [production].
This is a huge update from Tesla. We have known for some time now that Tesla was planning to begin production of the refreshed Model Y, which Musk has said will be the most advanced vehicle in the world with two-thirds of the body cast, in Giga Berlin and Giga Texas by the end of this quarter."

Teslarati that the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation has officially completed their review of all 5 of Teslas Giga Texas filings. Full story is here:

If the approval is coming soon then this may allow Tesla to begin production of Model Ys in December with deliveries starting in Jan. 2022.

Teslarati that the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation has officially completed their review of all 5 of Teslas Giga Texas filings. Full story is here:

If the approval is coming soon then this may allow Tesla to begin production of Model Ys in December with deliveries starting in Jan. 2022.
Sorry to say, if you read the dates on the documents, it will have a start date of Dec 31, 2021. So no cars starting before the end of the year. 😩

Sorry to say, if you read the dates on the documents, it will have a start date of Dec 31, 2021. So no cars starting before the end of the year. 😩
I assume that if Texas authorities give their approval then Tesla can begin production in late Dec., at least of sub-assemblies, but perhaps not begin final assembly and shipping of cars until early Jan..