Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory in 2020, Model 3 in 2017, Timing ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not 100% sure he said gross or operating but did say 14%.

I think it was during a bloomberg interview. I am not going to look through all the youtube vids looking for it.

He talked about taking lower margins in order to increase volume vs Model S.

It was probably operating margin. He's said multiple times that he expects Tesla long-term operating margins to be in the mid-teens. Gross margins long term will likely be in the mid-20% range.

When I was test driving a Model S two and a half weeks ago in Boston, the sales person said that the Model 3 and Gigafactory were completely locked into one another. I understood him to mean that the Model 3 will come out when the Gigafactory is producing, and the Gigafactory will produce first the Model 3 batteries.
That's what I heard...

When I was test driving a Model S two and a half weeks ago in Boston, the sales person said that the Model 3 and Gigafactory were completely locked into one another. I understood him to mean that the Model 3 will come out when the Gigafactory is producing, and the Gigafactory will produce first the Model 3 batteries.
That's what I heard...
That's been mentioned often by Tesla, but is also completely consistent, If Tesla announces the Model 3 for 2017, then it will be right on time if it's released in 2020...

Elon said in the last discussion with analyst they will have enough batteries without the GF to make $150k-$200k cars in 2017.

Although the GF will make 50 GW of batteries 15GW are earmarked for non-automotive uses like stationary energy storage.

The 35 GW of batteries from the GF will be good enough to supply ~350k cars. Batteries from Japan will supply the rest.

Part of the bargain for Panasonic to agree to become partners in the GF was for Tesla to continue buying batteries from Panasonic's Japanese factories. Panasonic has no plans to moth ball those plants and layoff those Japanese employees.

An additional observation about timing - as I understand the announcement, the GF begins producing cells and battery packs in 2017, with production ramping to the full 50 GWH packs / 35 GWH cells in 2020. It's neither full production on day 1 in 2017 when the factory opens, nor is it 0 production until the day in 2020 when it starts producing.

It seems like there's a pretty natural production growth from initial opening of the GF alongside of growth in building and shipping Gen 3. There will be important details along the way - can the GF ramp to full production faster than 2020? Will Gen 3 demand be so high, and ability to build the cars so good, that Gen 3 ramps to 350-400k cars/year (with another 100-150k S/X) before 2020?