Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory July 29 event thread for posting attendees photos and reports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have videos that shows more of the 'machine of the machine' side of the gigafactory?
Unfortunately, we were on specific paths that didn't allow us to climb up to an observation platform like the Fremont plant. We were fortunate to walk through the building compared with the tram tours in Fremont. These early views of the progress made in the last two years will be cherished as full production occurs and the whole process becomes like the moving animated integrated circuit that Elon showed us.

The Tesla Gigafactory Grand Opening Event featured more of the manufacturing overview of Powerwall and Powerpack assembly lines. We did not see individual battery cells being manufactured. The equipment to build them exists as you see in the photos. We were not shown top floor details and only toured the first floor. Maybe Tesla will record video when production is running and there are racks filled with 256 cells.

Cell production is to occur before the end of the year. Currently, cells for Powerwall and Powerpacks are shipped in until the Gigafactory cell production is operational. The empty racks in the huge automated storage areas was the tip off. I verified by asking questions to several during our tour. One more thing... Ear plugs and hard hats were not required for tour participants. I imagine it will be noisier next year.

Maybe the more honored guests who had special passes to see Model 3 during the day have more to share. Who knows if they were given a slightly different tour. I would love to see photos from the top floor. Until then, we do have the photos of the scale model.

Last edited:
You could pay
For those who looked at the photos earlier in the day, I have updated the titles and descriptions. If someone can explain the room with all the pipes on the wall in this photo: No description please post or PM the description. The doors hanging down appear to be access to ventilation.

My guess would be that is some sort of entry to a "clean room" area... Those may be air jets that blast dust and lint off anyone/anything about to enter.

PortaFab Cleanroom Systems | Air Showers for Cleanrooms

Or maybe it is a safety area where you could put a tray of damaged cells so that they could be cordoned off and flooded with halon or some type of fire suppressor just in case. I think you could see maps on the tour showing various safety areas where damaged material was to be taken to avoid fires. Lithium cell manufacturing has risks that need to be managed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Mark Z
My guess would be that is some sort of entry to a "clean room" area...
Both suggestions have been added to the photo description for now. Your link to PortaFab is brilliant. The challenge with the photo is how open the area is. However, it's still under construction.

We were told we were among the first tours to not wear shoe booties. These are clean rooms, so Tesla has extra work to remove shoe prints. It also could be a reason we were not given access to more specialized areas of future cell production.

My guess would be that is some sort of entry to a "clean room" area... Those may be air jets that blast dust and lint off anyone/anything about to enter.
Correct. It was described to us as being a "dust shower" for employees before they enter clean room areas of cell manufacturing. The things on the walls are air jets that blow dust and lint off of someone standing there.

Is that the hollow Model 3 mockup?
Yes. It looked pretty realistic and it would be very hard to know it wasn't real unless you got down on the ground or read about it online.

BTW, there was one rather inebriated woman, not a Tesla customer but an employee for the local government. She was the one who yelled out that she wanted to "repopulate Mars" with Elon and kept yelling about "teleportation". She was right behind us and was VERY loud. She ruined the presentation for us. :(

I watched the online presentation and wasn't able to hear any of her comments so they did a good job of editing.

• Funny
Reactions: anticitizen13.7
there was one rather inebriated woman, not a Tesla customer but an employee for the local government. She was the one who yelled out that she wanted to "repopulate Mars" with Elon and kept yelling about "teleportation". She was right behind us and was VERY loud.
I couldn't hear her during the event Q&A or on the videos I've watched, but now I understand why at one point Elon said "Teleportation" with a kind of half chuckle. That didn't make sense to me before your explanation, thanks.

So is that drunken woman the source of the rumor that "Tesla employees" at the event were drunk? (A rumor that I never believed was likely to be true)

I was there and didn't see anyone obviously intoxicated but it was a big tent with a lot of people so obviously I did not see everyone. I am sorry that I missed seeing Bjorn Nyland.

So is that drunken woman the source of the rumor that "Tesla employees" at the event were drunk? (A rumor that I never believed was likely to be true)
I don't know the rumor. I can just say that she wasn't a Tesla owner or employee, but an employee of the local government.
I am sorry that I missed seeing Bjorn Nyland.

I did have the pleasure of meeting Bjorn. Unfortunately, I missed out on meeting Bonnie. I spotted someone that I thought might've been Bonnie but her hair was different than online photos, so I wasn't certain it was her. I should've introduced myself but decided to keep searching. I ended up leaving after our tour which ended at about 11 pm, without making her acquaintance. There's always next time!

Last edited:
Will we get to a point where audience members - at Tesla ceremonies - are required to wear some type of muzzle during Elon presentations?

At first, I thought Elon was a poor public speaker.

On further review, though, Elon has to pause / re-engage every 15 seconds so that whatever narcissist sneaked into the audience can join in like this is some kind of comedy festival.

This is important. Fun, exciting... and important.

Will we get to a point where audience members - at Tesla ceremonies - are required to wear some type of muzzle during Elon presentations?

At first, I thought Elon was a poor public speaker.

On further review, though, Elon has to pause / re-engage every 15 seconds so that whatever narcissist sneaked into the audience can join in like this is some kind of comedy festival.

This is important. Fun, exciting... and important.

3 hours of open bar with very little food, what do you expect? :)

Here are a few additional photos from the GF event ... for those who could not attend.

IMG_5199.JPG
IMG_5198.JPG
IMG_5197.JPG
IMG_5196.JPG
IMG_5195.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z and Jeff N
I don't mean to make fun of members (potentially) but why on earth would you bring your dog to the GF tour!? Maybe its a California thing...

FYI, that is a photo of me in the Gigafactory tour. Abby (see Avatar) is a 13 year old Havanese, a fully trained and documented medical service dog. You might be familiar with seeing eye dogs/guide dogs or even handicap assistance dogs. Maybe you even know about seizure dogs. Some service dogs help with diabetics (they can smell elevated ketones even before a diabetic gets into trouble). Abby began training at 16 weeks. She is extraordinary smart, polite, unobtrusive, and usually better behaved that most folks' children. She has travelled to Sweden, Norway, Hungary, and frequently across the USA--in aircraft cabins, quiet, not kicking your setback like kids often do, not getting drunk and unpleasant. She goes everywhere and quietly does her job. Her presence is protected in the USA under the Department of Justice-Americans with Disabilities Act. By law she must be accommodated in all public and most private places, including transit (airlines, buses, trains, taxis), restaurants, stores and shopping centers. Not a California thing. Consider yourself educated--no apology necessary.

BTW, there was one rather inebriated woman, not a Tesla customer but an employee for the local government. She was the one who yelled out that she wanted to "repopulate Mars" with Elon and kept yelling about "teleportation". She was right behind us and was VERY loud. She ruined the presentation for us. :(

:eek:

Well, I guess there's no doubt what she wants from Elon.

In this day and age, this kind of thing shown below is almost expected... but still really really annoying. You *DO NOT* need to raise your phone above your head to get a good shot -- YOU'RE IN THE FRONT ROW. (also,BTW don't shoot vertical video!). Be considerate to the people behind you, and do not raise your phones above your forehead.

But what's NOT expected is the guy behind me CONSTANTLY hitting the back of my head with his phone trying to get a better shot. Forcrisakes, dude.. stop hitting my head!!! Seriously?

IMG_5077.JPG

In this day and age, this kind of thing shown below is almost expected... but still really really annoying. You *DO NOT* need to raise your phone above your head to get a good shot -- YOU'RE IN THE FRONT ROW.
Also -- there's a professionally shot video going on. You can stream it later. Why - WHY - do you need to take your own crappy video?

For me, the arms in the air idiotic filming was one of the most annoying parts of the night.