Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory July 29 event thread for posting attendees photos and reports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This whole thing where people are bringing psychological service dogs everywhere is a little ridiculous:
I don't think this is the place to judge anyone's psychological needs. Really when is it appropriate to judge anyone's psychological needs? You have no idea, context, or understanding of what this man may or may not need. To take the extra steps of taking his picture, without his permission, then to publicly shame his totally uncalled for and more than a little ridiculous.

I asked about the 80% efficiency increase and that gain was achieved all in simulation not real world use, still cool but I found that statement a bit misleading from the presenter.
I asked as well, but my presenter didn't know the answer of how it was achieved. I think it was just part of the presenter talking points and the people behind the talking point weren't there to explain it.

Omar,
Is that the new size cell you were holding? The 21x70 versus 18x65.

RT
Yes, that's the new cell size. Many folks in the presentations had them on hand.

I don't think this is the place to judge anyone's psychological needs. Really when is it appropriate to judge anyone's psychological needs? You have no idea, context, or understanding of what this man may or may not need. To take the extra steps of taking his picture, without his permission, then to publicly shame his totally uncalled for and more than a little ridiculous.
I couldn't have said it better myself, especially when the person in the photo is a TMC member and will likely see that image.

Here are a few additional photos from the GF event ... including the VIP roof party with Elon and JB. :cool:

IMG_5165.JPG
IMG_5174.JPG
IMG_5194.JPG
IMG_5207.JPG

I neglected to ask, but I would assume so--its what they are using in the Tesla Energy gear
I doubt that although I did not specifically ask about the cell size used in today's energy product. They are not making any of the new cells yet in Nevada and are importing them from Panasonic in Japan, I think. That means they are very likely using the old 18650 size for now.

Yes, that's the new cell size. Many folks in the presentations had them on hand.
Did anyone actually think to measure it? The pictured one looks like the same as the old (including the cap design). I'm pretty sure cell production did not start yet, given they only got the permit to install the cell production equipment last month (with finish date put at July 20th).
In Reno NV, Tesla Gets Permits Needed To Start Cell Production, Expand Gigafactory To Include Fifth Section

Previous indications was cell production would start by end of the year and a report about Panasonic put the cell production start time at November in a report last month:
Panasonic to jump-start US battery cell output for Tesla- Nikkei Asian Review

Also, I believe it had not been officially confirmed yet Tesla has decided to switch to a new cell size yet (even though there was talk about the advantages of doing so).

Did anyone actually think to measure it? The pictured one looks like the same as the old (including the cap design). I'm pretty sure cell production did not start yet, given they only got the permit to install the cell production equipment last month (with finish date put at July 20th). In Reno NV, Tesla Gets Permits Needed To Start Cell Production, Expand Gigafactory To Include Fifth Section

Previous indications was cell production would start by end of the year and a report about Panasonic put the cell production start time at November in a report last month: Panasonic to jump-start US battery cell output for Tesla- Nikkei Asian Review Also, I believe it had not been officially confirmed yet Tesla has decided to switch to a new cell size yet (even though there was talk about the advantages of doing so).

Here are a few photos of the new form factor for the battery :cool:

IMG_5178.JPG

IMG_5187.JPG

Last edited:
Did anyone actually think to measure it? The pictured one looks like the same as the old (including the cap design). I'm pretty sure cell production did not start yet, given they only got the permit to install the cell production equipment last month (with finish date put at July 20th).
In Reno NV, Tesla Gets Permits Needed To Start Cell Production, Expand Gigafactory To Include Fifth Section

Previous indications was cell production would start by end of the year and a report about Panasonic put the cell production start time at November in a report last month:
Panasonic to jump-start US battery cell output for Tesla- Nikkei Asian Review

Also, I believe it had not been officially confirmed yet Tesla has decided to switch to a new cell size yet (even though there was talk about the advantages of doing so).
If those are indeed 2170s, is it possible Panasonic may have brought them over from Japan? That may explain how sample cells may be available to show off at the event even though the Gigafactory itself isn't ready to manufacture them?

Our guide did confirm that only 21700 form factor cells will be made at the Gigafactory (no 18650s).they passed a couple around on the bus, but I can't remember whether they said they were live cells or just cans. And he said that cell production in Reno will commence later this year.

If those are indeed 2170s, is it possible Panasonic may have brought them over from Japan? That may explain how sample cells may be available to show off at the event even though the Gigafactory itself isn't ready to manufacture them?
I don't believe Panasonic has any 21700 cells in production. They do have 20700 cells, which I suppose would work fine as an analog for display purposes (the 1 mm difference wouldn't matter for this purpose).

Also I need to correct myself, it seems Tesla did mention to reporters that they have switched to 21 x 70 mm cells for the gigafactory and that they will name them "2170" (dropping the extra zero). I supposed that is pronounced 21-70 (that is how it was previously written in another report after an interview question with Elon and JB).
"Two of the permits mention the new ‘2170’ battery cell format Tesla and Panasonic plan to manufacture. It was previously thought to be a ‘20700’ cell format based on previous statement by Tesla official, but we learned at the Gigafactory press event this week that they actually changed the size to 21mm diameter and a 70mm height – so now it’s ‘2170’."
Tesla Gigafactory: new building permits show $63 million in latest expansions, new battery module lines

Last edited:
It's very likely Panasonic has produced a small test run of 21-70s in Japan, just to make sure there aren't any unforeseen issues with the format before going all in. Some of those cells have probably been used for display-purposes.

The current Tesla Energy products must be using 18650-cells shipped in from Japan. When cell production starts up later this year we'll see Tesla Energy transition from 18650-cells to 21-70s. Most likely the four sections of the gigafactory at the south end that are currently being constructed will be used for additional cell production, while the new section at the north end will be used for vehicle pack production.

I didn't notice when I took this photo, but is that a cloud or N Tesla looking down at the event?
Hah, hilarious!

The human brain has an amazing ability to detect facial patterns (very useful from an evolutionary point of view) and often sees such patterns in natural phenomena. Great example shown in that photo. That ability has led to a lot of delusional thinking... (Rob, I am not implying that you are "delusional", just making a general observation! I saw the same rainbow, watched it for quite awhile, but failed to note that cloud pattern :)